Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #5,597 of 6,061
I got a set of HE6SE V2 from Adorama sale. Running it on a Yamaha A-1000 vintage amp that I bought from ebay on speaker taps. I am using this $8 adapter on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Fancasee-Replacement-Connector-Headphone-Earphone/dp/B07Y8LNMM6/. Before hooking it up, I verified the amp has common ground between the channels using a multimeter. Two additional simple adapters were needed to connect to the stock 4pin XLR cable: 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS adapter, and the 1/4" TRS to 4pin XLR adapter that came with HE6SE. Eventually, I will build a 4 speaker wire to 4pin XLR adapter myself.

I also got a HE adapter from ebay, but decided to skip it in the setup, why waste energy generating heat on the resisters :dt880smile:.

Currently feeding the amp from Topping E30 DAC, but I have a Holo Audio May KTE coming. Feel kind of weird jumping from $130 DAC to a $5000 DAC. If I can't hear much difference, then it will be confirmed that I have tin ears :dt880smile:

The Yamaha A-1000 was supposed to be its TOFL amp in mid 80s. The unit I got was completely cleaned, it was spotless inside when I opened it up. I was a bit concerned that I might need to find a tech to re-cap it since it is 35 years old, but it sounds great as is. I am also using it to drive the Raal SR1A through its interface box, sounds great too.

I am relatively new to hifi/head-fi, and I haven't heard many systems to have points of reference, but they sound great to my ears.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #5,598 of 6,061
I got a set of HE6SE V2 from Adorama sale. Running it on a Yamaha A-1000 vintage amp that I bought from ebay on speaker taps. I am using this $8 adapter on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Fancasee-Replacement-Connector-Headphone-Earphone/dp/B07Y8LNMM6/. Before hooking it up, I verified the amp has common ground between the channels using a multimeter. Two additional simple adapters were needed to connect to the stock 4pin XLR cable: 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS adapter, and the 1/4" TRS to 4pin XLR adapter that came with HE6SE. Eventually, I will build a 4 speaker wire to 4pin XLR adapter myself.

I also got a HE adapter from ebay, but decided to skip it in the setup, why waste energy generating heat on the resisters :dt880smile:.

Currently feeding the amp from Topping E30 DAC, but I have a Holo Audio May KTE coming. Feel kind of weird jumping from $130 DAC to a $5000 DAC. If I can't hear much difference, then it will be confirmed that I have tin ears :dt880smile:

The Yamaha A-1000 was supposed to be its TOFL amp in mid 80s. The unit I got was completely cleaned, it was spotless inside when I opened it up. I was a bit concerned that I might need to find a tech to re-cap it since it is 35 years old, but it sounds great as is. I am also using it to drive the Raal SR1A through its interface box, sounds great too.

I am relatively new to hifi/head-fi, and I haven't heard many systems to have points of reference, but they sound great to my ears.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #5,599 of 6,061
You mention that you have an HE adapter as well. Can you do an A/B comparison between your speaker taps and HE Adapter with the resistor in the stream? I am curious since I am going to speaker taps from the adapter.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #5,600 of 6,061

Wow, that's diving into the deep end for someone new to hifi/head-fi - jumping to a May DAC and speaker taps! That's a quick shortcut to TOTL performance (hopefully). Enjoy!

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #5,601 of 6,061
You mention that you have an HE adapter as well. Can you do an A/B comparison between your speaker taps and HE Adapter with the resistor in the stream? I am curious since I am going to speaker taps from the adapter.
I compared briefly, couldn't tell much difference except the adapter results in a bit lower volume.

Wow, that's diving into the deep end for someone new to hifi/head-fi - jumping to a May DAC and speaker taps! That's a quick shortcut to TOTL performance (hopefully). Enjoy!
Thank you! I have performed grill removal mod and will do the blu tack mod when it arrives.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #5,602 of 6,061
hi guys, does anyone know if DNA Stratus or Cayin HA300 can drive the OG Hifiman HE6 easily? thanks!

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #5,603 of 6,061
I compared briefly, couldn't tell much difference except the adapter results in a bit lower volume.

Thank you! I have performed grill removal mod and will do the blu tack mod when it arrives.
That's interesting, thanks for the response. I am definitely not worried about lower volume, I am pushing them with an Adcom GFA amp and they sound better than anything I have ever heard. I also run them off of my Master 9 which does an excellent job of driving them, just not quite like a speaker amp. Thanks again

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #5,604 of 6,061
Hello again HE-6 amp club!

just got a new speaker adapter cable for my HE-6 after like 2 years when sold my old one and regretted it (used to use a vintage Threshold amp). I usually pair the He-6 with my WA5 and now I finally can listen to then with my First Watt J2 instead.

GSX MK2 preamp >> First Watt J2 >> HE-6

its amazing so far, probably the most neutral I’ve heard these headphones sound, and zero treble glare. the soundstage is super wide and the sound is very open and linear, very transparent and true to the source. treble mids and bass are deliver super clean with lots of inner detail and great control of dynamics. the bass is tight, fast, and very well controlled. ive never heard the HE-6 sound this clean and this accurate, truly a reference headphone than can play with the best of them with this setup.

the difference between this and the WA5 is the roundedness that the tubes add, like a sweet organic tone and liquidity, along with the added warmth and bass bloom, also the bass is a little bit punchier and deeper on the WA5, probably as a result of the large transformers it uses, its overkill.

overall, i love both and surprised with how versatile the he-6 is and how different it’ll sound with different amps.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #5,605 of 6,061
hi guys, does anyone know if DNA Stratus or Cayin HA300 can drive the OG Hifiman HE6 easily? thanks!

the Cayin, more than likely, yes! 300b is good to go!

the Stratus, no. 2a3 is not enough.

Ok guys, I got the HE6SEV2 in and I can provided some comparisons. Bear in mind that SEV2 has the Palipads and the my OG HE-6 is 6-screw with velpads.

The most obvious differences are in the bass and imaging, and smoothness of treble. Bass characteristics are different. It seem OG HE-6 has more of a dynamic bass with a larger area impact, and the HE6SEV2 is tighter, but less dynamic and less impact. The imaging seems to be the most significant. It seems the HE6SEV2 imaging doesn't have as much depth as the OG HE-6, and less speaker like? I always wondered if this is what is meant by 'speaker-like?' People referring to the depth of the imaging of Hifiman planars? It seems like HE6SEV2 has smoother and cleaner, less textured treble, which I kinda like. But, I also notice transparency is reduced as well, OG HE-6 sounds to have more transparency for some reason. The sound decay is different as well. HE6SEV2 with it's cleaner nature that decay is shortened.

When you listen to jazz, the different is obvious. With pop, I do prefer the HE6SEV2 with it's cleaner, smoother nature of the highs, but not for the bass compared to OG HE-6.

So, I find OG HE-6 more transparent, dynamic, and better imaging with more depth. OG driver was good, and I don't understand why the SE version keeps the current trend of less dynamic sound compared to the classics?

One thing that's immediately noticible is that from HE6SE (V1), there is no upper-mids dip on the SEV2. I imagine they tweaked the Palipads like they did with Sundara revision.

There you have it guys.

glad i still have my og he-6!

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #5,606 of 6,061

just got a new speaker adapter cable for my HE-6 after like 2 years when sold my old one and regretted it (used to use a vintage Threshold amp). I usually pair the He-6 with my WA5 and now I finally can listen to then with my First Watt J2 instead.

its amazing so far, probably the most neutral I’ve heard these headphones sound, and zero treble glare. the soundstage is super wide and the sound is very open and linear, very transparent and true to the source. treble mids and bass are deliver super clean with lots of inner detail and great control of dynamics. the bass is tight, fast, and very well controlled. ive never heard the HE-6 sound this clean and this accurate, truly a reference headphone than can play with the best of them with this setup.

the difference between this and the WA5 is the roundedness that the tubes add, like a sweet organic tone and liquidity, along with the added warmth and bass bloom, also the bass is a little bit punchier and deeper on the WA5, probably as a result of the large transformers it uses, its overkill.

overall, i love both and surprised with how versatile the he-6 is and how different it’ll sound with different amps.
I don't think HE-6 inherently has treble glare, and it depends on amping. Glary amping will cause treble glare from my experience. It could actually be the DAC (come to think of it), as I noticed no glare using Yggdrasil, and I think it's a great source for Hifimans. It probably softens it up, and it's probably one of the best for imaging.

I've been listening to this sound track, and no other headphone sounds as good as HE-6. I switch to HD800S, and it's not the same in terms of depth and imaging. This is surprisingly well mastered.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #5,607 of 6,061

Does the WA5 adequately drive the HE6? As well as the first watt? I have always been interested in the WA5LE but always assumed that it would make the HE6 sound too warm. I would love to hear the WA5 with an HD 800s however. Would be interested in your feedback.

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #5,608 of 6,061
Does the WA5 adequately drive the HE6? As well as the first watt? I have always been interested in the WA5LE but always assumed that it would make the HE6 sound too warm. I would love to hear the WA5 with an HD 800s however. Would be interested in your feedback.

Yes! Both versions of WA5 work well with HE-6. The newer WA5LE is slightly less warm than the original. The newer Woo also seems to be slightly less tube dependent. Other than the first watt (ss based) this is the best pairing I’ve found with tubes, as well as the easiest to setup, so long as you can afford the amp. other advantage is it works with a ton of headphones, as well as speakers if you get the full wa5

First Watt J2 is a good pairing with HE-6. I have not tried the other amps in their lineup but would stick with the ones that deliver over 20Wpc such as the J2 (25wpc). You need a speaker adapter and preamp for the first watt as well, it adds to the cost but doubles as a speaker setup and its nice if you want endgame SS sound.

hd 800 and wa5 is a lovely pairing too that is top level, only bettered by a few specialized amps like the Apex Teton (5k and mainly for hd 800 / high imp).

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #5,609 of 6,061
Yes! Both versions of WA5 work well with HE-6. The newer WA5LE is slightly less warm than the original. The newer Woo also seems to be slightly less tube dependent. Other than the first watt (ss based) this is the best pairing I’ve found with tubes, as well as the easiest to setup, so long as you can afford the amp. other advantage is it works with a ton of headphones, as well as speakers if you get the full wa5

First Watt J2 is a good pairing with HE-6. I have not tried the other amps in their lineup but would stick with the ones that deliver over 20Wpc such as the J2 (25wpc). You need a speaker adapter and preamp for the first watt as well, it adds to the cost but doubles as a speaker setup and its nice if you want endgame SS sound.

hd 800 and wa5 is a lovely pairing too that is top level, only bettered by a few specialized amps like the Apex Teton (5k and mainly for hd 800 / high imp).

I'd add that the XA25 is likely a great pairing as well. I use with an XP-12 pre.

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #5,610 of 6,061
what about Violectric v281? i search the history, looks like there are some mix feedback about this combo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back