Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jan 7, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #5,222 of 6,061
Leftside - I did replace the resistors (Mills) in the HE-adapter. I also ended up clipping off the jack on my headphone cables and wired then with banana plugs. Installed Duelund resistors on the speaker taps. True you can run on taps without a resistor (perhaps) you will be better served matching headphone to amp impedance with a resistor for better sound i.e. tighter bass and better focus.
Volume control may be issue as my amp will put out over 200 watts at 4 ohms. I know the Mc275 will put out 90 watts.
Good stuff. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #5,223 of 6,061
Yes, I had a pair of MC275 (great amps) but they do not have the sparkle and resolution of details the MC2000 has due partially to the MC2000 having a few transistors in the signal path. You need a tube amp also that can swing over 10 amps. Totally different sounding amps. I actually have to use my C2200 treble control to bring down the treble a bit due to too much of the highs coming thru. Finally found a use for tone controls.
I absolutely love the MC2000. It's just a little too big for the room I'm planning.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #5,224 of 6,061
Leftside - I did replace the resistors (Mills) in the HE-adapter. I also ended up clipping off the jack on my headphone cables and wired then with banana plugs. Installed Duelund resistors on the speaker taps..
Any preference between the two methods?

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #5,225 of 6,061
Any preference between the two methods?
Direct to amp without HE-adapter is superior to my ears. Good set of quality resistors on the taps is sonically the way to go, however the adapter is convenient. The HE-adapter is now in my closet lol.
The Duelund really allowed every bit of music thru (like removing a veil) but tame the high frequencies which I wanted but may be too smooth for some applications. I think
the Mills are best value for money and really get out of the way. The PathAudio are also excellent but like the Duelund they impart a little of their own signature.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #5,226 of 6,061
"Do you mind saying how much McIntosh charged to upgrade the V to VI?"

Sorry, don't mind but don't know. I'd call Binghamton direct or ask a local dealer to do it for you. Heavy amp so round trip shipping could get expensive.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #5,227 of 6,061
I have to say, as the J2 and Freya have settled into my audio chain the music is incredible on all of my transducers. It not only sounds beautiful on my HE-6s, but my Ascend Acoustics Sierra IIs sound amazing too. I've also listened with my Audeze LCD-3s and LCD-2s and it is very enjoyable. This is a Summit-fi setup at it's best, at least the best I've heard. :)

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #5,231 of 6,061
A couple of weeks ago I blew my Primare power amp (now in the shop). Had to turn to temporarily listening to my HE-6's with an almost 40 year old Yamaha A-450 amp. The volume knob starts at about 7 pm on a clock dial. The max I need for the HE-6 is about 8 or 8:30 max. There was plenty of power (200 watts @ 8 ohms). But even with the WyWires Platinum Series HP cable the sound was grainy. The Yamaha amp was connected to my DAC with an ancient red & black RCA cable so I ordered a pair of used Shunyata Python RCA IC's. It arrived today. Once connected there was no more graininess and the sound is clear, precise and detailed of course with rockin', visceral bass. Don't know how that compares with the J2 (never heard of it until this thread) but I'm very happy. A plus with the Yamaha is bass and treble controls (which works to boost bass with my Senn HD-800's). Depending on what artist I'm listening to I sometimes have to turn the bass down a notch or so for the HE-6 monsters :)

I posted a while back about pads for the HE-6 and contributed my 2 cents that music sounded best with NO pads. Period. But that was impractical so I found a way (it won't win any beauty contests) to make it comfortable. Rebought a Sennheiser HD-800 for classical listening (where visceral bass isn't a necessity). Compared the 2 HP's. I was shocked that my HE-6 is only slightly short of the 800's detail. Soundstages are about equal in width and height with the 800 barely squeezing out in front for depth. Of course tonality is different but not a lot. Both are very accurate. If you (or someone you know) is handy with scissors, needle and thread you can transform your HE-6's (if they're not already there) into a pair of the airiest, most precise bass pumping HP's you'll ever want to own. Here are a few pics of mine.

HE 6 cushions post 1.jpg HE-6 cushion post 2.jpg HE-6 cushion post 4.jpg HE-6 cushion post 6.jpg HE-6 cushion post 3.jpg

Don't be afraid to try it. You might find yourself greatly rewarded!!! I sure did!!! But as we all know, YMMV.

Attachments

• HE-6 cushion post 5.jpg
    HE-6 cushion post 5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #5,235 of 6,061
Finally my HE-6 have some power!

They sound great with a Glenn 300B (8 watts), but I was cranking the volume a lot on that amp. Now with a 50 watt amp connected directly to the speaker taps I'm getting some real power. Currently connected to the 8 ohm tap, but I might also try the 16 ohm tap. I'd describe the sound as punchy and detailed.

This MC250 is in absolutely superb condition, and amazingly has a totally black background even with my preamp set to the max. I have the gain on the amp set to the 3 o clock position, which is about 3/4 of the way. With the preamp at 40 (out of 100) the sound is good and loud. It's got me thinking about other amps now.... I wouldn't mind a little more bass and warmth.

PS - the amp will be moved to a proper shelf soon :)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back