Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Oct 4, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #4,756 of 6,061
If I already have Audio-gd Master 11, is there any point in getting speaker amplifier for the HE-6? Although it wouldn't be specifically for the HE-6 as I have speakers too.

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #4,757 of 6,061
  If I already have Audio-gd Master 11, is there any point in getting speaker amplifier for the HE-6? Although it wouldn't be specifically for the HE-6 as I have speakers too.

I personally dont think the 11 does the job.  it is one of the best options in headphone amp land.  I've heard it, and I feel my good speaker amp trumps it.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #4,758 of 6,061
Having recently bought the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 digital amplifier with room correction to drive my Harbeth Super HL5 plus speakers, and been delighted with the results, I wondered about the feasibility of using it to drive the HE-6s via an adapter XLR to the speaker taps. I did try hooking up my Stax Lambda Pros in this way with the SRD energiser(having first switched off room correction), and was impressed with the extreme resolution and detail. Currently, I do not own the HE-6s, only the HE-560s, but am considering getting hold of a pair. Your opinions would be welcome! Here is a link to my amp:- http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/tdai-2170

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #4,759 of 6,061
  Having recently bought the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 digital amplifier with room correction to drive my Harbeth Super HL5 plus speakers, and been delighted with the results, I wondered about the feasibility of using it to drive the HE-6s via an adapter XLR to the speaker taps. I did try hooking up my Stax Lambda Pros in this way with the SRD energiser(having first switched off room correction), and was impressed with the extreme resolution and detail. Currently, I do not own the HE-6s, only the HE-560s, but am considering getting hold of a pair. Your opinions would be welcome! Here is a link to my amp:- http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/tdai-2170

There has been a debate going on about using the HiFiMAN HE-adaptor http://hifiman.com/products/detail/84 with solid state speaker amps.  The consensus was that using this XLR adaptor with an SS amp would degrade the sound.  It will work well with a tube amp. 

You can always build a 4pin XLR to banana/spade cable yourself or have someone else do it.  I would try both the HE-Adaptor and cable and see which one you prefer.     

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,760 of 6,061
Hello fellow HE-6 owners. First of all, this is my first post! (long time lurker around head-fi, r/headphones). 

I recently purchased a 6-screw HE-6, and after a few weeks with it I decided to do most of the common mods (removing stock damping, pad rolling, etc).

I was at first hesitant to purchase the headphones as my only amplification consists of the Violectric V200 (which I heard mixed things about in relation to the HE-6) and the Adcom GFA-555, which I had running my Magnepan 3.6R's. I extensively tried both of these amplifiers, as well as my dealer's amplifiers (Wells Audio HeadTrip and the Taurus). While the Wells sounded the best in terms of imaging and extension on both ends, I was actually quite surprised at the performance out of the V200. I actually preferred it to the Adcom, and it retained most of the performance I loved from the Wells. 

So, as of right now, I'm running the HE-6 with my V800/V200 stack, with the V800's stock internal settings out via XLR, and the V200 switched to DC/GND and +6 pre-gain. These settings put the V200 potentiometer around 11 to 12 o'clock for me, when listening to louder genres of music. I'm a happy camper and it vastly exceeded my expectations from what I read on HF. This setup handily bests my LCD-X in terms of transparency and frequency extension. 

Hopefully I can get my hands on an First Watt clone for Christmas and really get optimal performance from this near-flawless pair of headphones.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #4,762 of 6,061
There has been a debate going on about using the HiFiMAN HE-adaptor http://hifiman.com/products/detail/84 with solid state speaker amps.  The consensus was that using this XLR adaptor with an SS amp would degrade the sound.  It will work well with a tube amp. 

You can always build a 4pin XLR to banana/spade cable yourself or have someone else do it.  I would try both the HE-Adaptor and cable and see which one you prefer.     
The impedance box trashes the dynamic response the HE-6 is so good at. Some have said they didn't find it a problem. I guess it depends on the music you listen to. I myself like the aggressiveness with hard hitting genre. The only reason the adapter box would be needed on an SS amp would be on high wattage amps to protect the headphones.

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #4,763 of 6,061
  Hello fellow HE-6 owners. First of all, this is my first post! (long time lurker around head-fi, r/headphones). 

I recently purchased a 6-screw HE-6, and after a few weeks with it I decided to do most of the common mods (removing stock damping, pad rolling, etc).

I was at first hesitant to purchase the headphones as my only amplification consists of the Violectric V200 (which I heard mixed things about in relation to the HE-6) and the Adcom GFA-555, which I had running my Magnepan 3.6R's. I extensively tried both of these amplifiers, as well as my dealer's amplifiers (Wells Audio HeadTrip and the Taurus). While the Wells sounded the best in terms of imaging and extension on both ends, I was actually quite surprised at the performance out of the V200. I actually preferred it to the Adcom, and it retained most of the performance I loved from the Wells. 

So, as of right now, I'm running the HE-6 with my V800/V200 stack, with the V800's stock internal settings out via XLR, and the V200 switched to DC/GND and +6 pre-gain. These settings put the V200 potentiometer around 11 to 12 o'clock for me, when listening to louder genres of music. I'm a happy camper and it vastly exceeded my expectations from what I read on HF. This setup handily bests my LCD-X in terms of transparency and frequency extension. 

Hopefully I can get my hands on an First Watt clone for Christmas and really get optimal performance from this near-flawless pair of headphones.

Wells Audio Headtip - listening to music while drowning in a tar pit.

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #4,765 of 6,061

First Watt J2 and don't look back. You can get it as low as $2400 (MSRP $4000)

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #4,767 of 6,061
I found all the audio gd amps to have good detail but lacked bass impact & found it a bit sloppy. The overall presentation just didn't have the meatiness to it like a speaker amp did. Which is fine if you never hear the he-6 on a speaker amp. After that you'll be Un satisfied.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #4,768 of 6,061
I found all the audio gd amps to have good detail but lacked bass impact & found it a bit sloppy. The overall presentation just didn't have the meatiness to it like a speaker amp did. Which is fine if you never hear the he-6 on a speaker amp. After that you'll be Un satisfied.

Master 3 is huge a speaker amplifier. Weighs 90 lbs and has 250Wpc.

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #4,770 of 6,061

I did not believe the people here saying that speaker amps are so much better than headphone amps. I have a Master 11 and also its more powerful brother the Master 9. I just bought the monstrous Master-2H monoblocks for my speaker system and was curious how they would sound with the HE6. The difference in soundstage and bass is night and day. It's like a curtain was removed from the side of my head - I can hear so much more behind me. Bass is extremely prominent and authoritative. Detail across the board is increased to a point that I have no doubt the HE6 are at or near their full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back