Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Mar 9, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #4,396 of 6,061
I can't help but notice that the majority of -- if not all -- glowing claims of vintage gear come from those who haven't spent any time with modern high-end audio gear.

I realize this thread is tough to slog through, but you might want to read it some more. This is the exact opposite of what I've read here. The reason that vintage amps get recommended is because they can sound like higher end modern equipment at much lower cost. No one has said that vintage gear beats out the top end modern gear.

If anything, I'd be more skeptical about claims that these $5000 top end amps sound better with the HE-6 despite not at all being designed with them in mind. People spend money and then will always subconsciously justify that money spent in ways big or small. Take everything with a grain of salt unless you can try it for yourself.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #4,398 of 6,061
Yeah. It was just said. But I will agree. It boils down to the fact that you have to spend a big chunk of change to match the quality of some vintage amps. They are not awesome because they are vintage. But because they are fantastic amps. And yes, can be had at a low price in comparison. The amount you have to spend to get to that Approximate 7 watts into 50 ohms isn't cheap in the modern equivalent.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #4,399 of 6,061
For a hobby that can get pretty expensive it's nice to hear some people are enjoying recycled gear.

Speaking of buget amps- I tried an inexpensive DIY chip amp (TPA 3116, 50W) w/ the HE 6 and it was nothing to write home about.  Sounded good in the clinical sense but not what I'd want to hear day in and day out.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #4,400 of 6,061
Received my Marantz PM500 today.
I don't have a speaker wire to balanced adapter yet, but I have it connected to some crappy Polk speakers. 

Basing this off just the speakers impression, and considering the price I paid $200.

Low noise floor / great black (or grey w/e) background
Instrument separation good
Decent soundstage
Pleasant tonality, but I tweaked it with EQ

I think the soundstage might really open up when I get good headphones connected to it. Just basing that off how good the instrument separation is.

EDIT:

My source was a Matrix Mini-I DAC.
Once I get a headphone adapter, I'll connect the Marantz to my Yggdrasil, and really see how much soundstage this thing has.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #4,401 of 6,061
  I'm highly suspicious of claims that vintage amplifiers are all that wonderful. The simple fact is, circuit components are better than what they were in the 80s and 70s. Testing and design tools are vastly superior today. I can't help but notice that the majority of -- if not all -- glowing claims of vintage gear come from those who haven't spent any time with modern high-end audio gear. Which would make sense, because someone who is seeking vintage gear to begin with is very cost-conscious. Someone who is very cost-conscious may only have low-quality gear against which to compare vintage pieces.

You are right to be suspicious. I've been down that route myself with vintage receivers. I wouldn't go back to them.

For those who only have $200-300 to spend on an amp, buy a used Crest pro audio amp and pair it with a cheap preamp.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,402 of 6,061
I was so impressed by the Marantz, I thought to buy speakers. I was thinking of ordering, or building a headphone balanced adapter, but decided against it.

To keep this somewhat on topic, I am powering planar magnetic drivers.... 

My setup right now: 

I'd say it's performing exceptionally considering the $200 price tag (for the Marantz).

The biggest thing that still jumps out, is the low noise background and instrument separation.
I live locally in Minnesota, so I got these speakers same day at Audio Perfection.

I actually brought the Marantz into the shop to test with the speakers before I bought. 

They had some $300+ speaker cables and the Marantz plugged into a $2000+ power supply. 
Admittedly it did sound a bit better at the shop, because of this. I'm running the Marantz off wall outlet right now, and generic raw speaker cable.

I'm not surprised @bigkef loved this amp with the HE6, glad I bought it. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #4,403 of 6,061
I was so impressed by the Marantz, I thought to buy speakers. I was thinking of ordering, or building a headphone balanced adapter, but decided against it.

To keep this somewhat on topic, I am powering planar magnetic drivers.... 

My setup right now: 

I'd say it's performing exceptionally considering the $200 price tag (for the Marantz).

The biggest thing that still jumps out, is the low noise background and instrument separation.
I live locally in Minnesota, so I got these speakers same day at Audio Perfection.

I actually brought the Marantz into the shop to test with the speakers before I bought. 

They had some $300+ speaker cables and the Marantz plugged into a $2000+ power supply. 
Admittedly it did sound a bit better at the shop, because of this. I'm running the Marantz off wall outlet right now, and generic raw speaker cable.

I'm not surprised @bigkef
 loved this amp with the HE6, glad I bought it. 

I've been eyeing the 3.7i

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #4,404 of 6,061

I've been eyeing the 3.7i

They're pretty sick! I actually heard them at the same store where @comzee bought them, Audio Perfection in MPLS. Just a crazy, crazy value for that level of sound, IMO. That store is like candyland for audio junkies! I've been quietly mulling the idea of picking up a pair of those myself.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #4,406 of 6,061

Hi ohG, would you compare this EAR amp with other amps you've heard? Was the EAR winner?

Yes, I'd say its a winner. I ended up returning it to the owner though as I'm mostly likely going down the route of Magnepans which requires high powered solid state.

The EAR and both big Krells (FPB 300cx and EVO 302e) all have been very very similar out of the HE-6. Based on that, I've concluded I've hit the ceiling on the HE-6 in terms of amps. If I want anymore out the HE-6, I'd need a much better DAC or turntable.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #4,408 of 6,061
3.7i is a good choice. They just need proper space. Big house is more important than the amp, one of my friends said.

The room will be approx. 10x23ft. Maybe wider depending on if I can knock down the closet for another 2ft.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4,409 of 6,061
@bigkef
is the EQ in or out for that pic?
If 'in' - that's a lot of bass boost you have applied my friend.:blink:
The EQ is engaged, but not the "LOUD" button.. I think that, while it does give a healthy dose of bass energy, to me it sounds muffled. -Even with the 50 hz EQ gain to the max, bass is far from overdone. Powerful and extremely detailed..

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #4,410 of 6,061
The EQ is engaged, but not the "LOUD" button.. I think that, while it does give a healthy dose of bass energy, to me it sounds muffled. -Even with the 50 hz EQ gain to the max, bass is far from overdone. Powerful and extremely detailed..

@bigkef I would expect that a 10db boost centered around 50Hz would give a muddy sound.
I'm actually surprised it's not extremely bothersome given the extended and powerful bass of the HE6 without any EQ.
Maybe something is not right because bass energy shouldn't be lacking with a flat driven HE6 - I've certainly never felt any desire to boost bass.
Without EQ, genres such as hiphop, rap, electronic etc - HE6 bass  in the bottom 2 octaves, 20-80hz, can be prodigious (but if well recorded, tight and head shakingly powerful).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back