Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jun 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #2,866 of 6,061
  Hence the sense in a custom solution where one has total control and it really only has to perform optimally with one single headphone so you can build everything around the tube you wish to use and the headphone. 

I am still looking for a good DIY amp build for the HE-6. It seems like the F5 is generally agreed upon as the simplest and best functioning. But It's hard to get through 200 pages of this thread (esp. without any electronics/amp knowledge)

I am also interested in making my own amp, a customized solution specifically for the 6.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #2,867 of 6,061
An F5 clone is a relatively easy build, provided you purchase a good case and have basic soldering skills (and are aware of the risks involved in working with electrical circuits).  Mine sounds very good with the HE-6.

I'm currently studying on a tube solution.  Like you, I knew nothing.  After a number of months I've reached the stage where I'm aware of exactly how little I know :)  But I'm going to give it a shot.  Compared to a home built tube solution the F5 is a walk in the park though.  I'll keep you posted via pm of he evolution if you want.  Studying up and will start soldering in 2 months.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,868 of 6,061
  An F5 clone is a relatively easy build, provided you purchase a good case and have basic soldering skills (and are aware of the risks involved in working with electrical circuits).  Mine sounds very good with the HE-6.

I'm currently studying on a tube solution.  Like you, I knew nothing.  After a number of months I've reached the stage where I'm aware of exactly how little I know :)  But I'm going to give it a shot.  Compared to a home built tube solution the F5 is a walk in the park though.  I'll keep you posted via pm of he evolution if you want.  Studying up and will start soldering in 2 months.

Yeah keep me/us posted on any results! How much did the f5 clone build cost approx?

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #2,869 of 6,061
Cost was about 1100, a lot depends on the case you select and some of the components, notably for the power supply part.  Higher is never an issue in this hobby :)  Rock bottom cost would be about 6-700 I guess.  But unless you're handy with metalwork I'd get myself the deluxe 4U chassis from diyaudio.  And read the threads about the build there, some very good material.  Last tip:  take care of heat dissipation (not an issue with that chassis if you mount everything right) because this thing runs HOT.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #2,870 of 6,061
  Cost was about 1100, a lot depends on the case you select and some of the components, notably for the power supply part.  Higher is never an issue in this hobby :)  Rock bottom cost would be about 6-700 I guess.  But unless you're handy with metalwork I'd get myself the deluxe 4U chassis from diyaudio.  And read the threads about the build there, some very good material.  Last tip:  take care of heat dissipation (not an issue with that chassis if you mount everything right) because this thing runs HOT.

whoa! That's a lot! Might as well deal with the complexity and build a tube amp, seems like it wouldn't be too different price-wise.

On a side note, has anyone other than OP used the AMC CVT-2030 hybrid tube amp with the HE-6's? OP mentions it to be a great pairing with the 6's, yet nobody has commented on it since OP mentioned it in his first post?

Reason being is I found one for $300 about to jump on it.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,871 of 6,061
No idea about the amp you mention.  But one thing's for sure:  there are lots of good reasons to get into amplifier diy but saving money's not one of them.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #2,872 of 6,061

I saw the 2A3 next to me at a meet, but didn't bother listening to it. I probably didn't see the PSU as Craig placed it on the floor at the meet with the 445.

It probably could use more power still, but overall it did a good job from what I could make out at the meet.

I believe that is the 2A3mk2.  The mk4 uses paralleled 2A3's instead of paralleled 45's for 6watt vs 3 watt...so MOAR powerz

I did briefly hear the HE6 from the mk4 at the Toronto meet but wasn't that impressed.  Hard to tell if it had the power to drive them as it had become quite loud at that point.  The mk4 has lots of headroom with the HE5 so I would be surprised if it was the amp.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,873 of 6,061
Don't know anything about the costs involved, but I believe Kevin Gilmore was working on DIY Krell KSA-5 amps at one point. Might be worth checking into.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,874 of 6,061
  I am still looking for a good DIY amp build for the HE-6. It seems like the F5 is generally agreed upon as the simplest and best functioning. But It's hard to get through 200 pages of this thread (esp. without any electronics/amp knowledge)

I am also interested in making my own amp, a customized solution specifically for the 6.

Over at diyaudio.com, a user named AGDR created a desktop version of the popular O2 amp. It was designed specifically to drive headphones like the HE-6. You can read about on head-fi, too.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/719611/objective-desktop-amp-a-version-from-agdr

If you're interested in a DIY tube amp, I've been told by someone I respect that the Project Ember amp from garage1217.com sounds terrific with the HE-6.

Personally, I've been experimenting with Class-D amp modules. These are intended to drive speakers, but I've had good success using them with my HE-6 with a simple L-pad resistor network to attenuate the gain and ensure that the amp sees a 6-ohm load. You can read about these modules on various forums, but this one at diyaudio is very active. These modules typically consist of a PCB fully populated with the chip, caps, resistors and inductors. All you need to add are the enclosure, cables and connectors plus cheap power supply. I can't think of a more entertaining way to spend $25US.  

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #2,875 of 6,061
So, can the Fostex HP-A4 drive the HE-6 well?

This thread is so big that it is hard to wade through. I am looking for the best budget true headphone amp (not a stereo amp that I'd have to modify to work with the HE-6) that can drive the HE-6 well but doesn't blow a hole in my pocket. Any good suggestions?

I also suck at building so I am looking for a non-DIY headphone amp.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,877 of 6,061
  So, can the Fostex HP-A4 drive the HE-6 well?

This thread is so big that it is hard to wade through. I am looking for the best budget true headphone amp (not a stereo amp that I'd have to modify to work with the HE-6) that can drive the HE-6 well but doesn't blow a hole in my pocket. Any good suggestions?

I also suck at building so I am looking for a non-DIY headphone amp.

Maybe the Master 9 or the upcoming Schiit Ragg.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,878 of 6,061

Over at diyaudio.com, a user named AGDR created a desktop version of the popular O2 amp. It was designed specifically to drive headphones like the HE-6. You can read about on head-fi, too.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/719611/objective-desktop-amp-a-version-from-agdr

If you're interested in a DIY tube amp, I've been told by someone I respect that the Project Ember amp from garage1217.com sounds terrific with the HE-6.

Personally, I've been experimenting with Class-D amp modules. These are intended to drive speakers, but I've had good success using them with my HE-6 with a simple L-pad resistor network to attenuate the gain and ensure that the amp sees a 6-ohm load. You can read about these modules on various forums, but this one at diyaudio is very active. These modules typically consist of a PCB fully populated with the chip, caps, resistors and inductors. All you need to add are the enclosure, cables and connectors plus cheap power supply. I can't think of a more entertaining way to spend $25US.  

The mAmps are good.  I was also looking at these.  http://www.reddragonaudio.com/collections/amplifiers/products/m500-mkii

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #2,879 of 6,061
The DIY Dynahi would be a more suitable amp vs. the DIY KSA-5 for the HE-6

I'd love to hear either personally, lol. Thanks for the reminder on the Dynahi.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #2,880 of 6,061
the Klone can do a respectable 10Vrm, but the HE6 needs at least 12-13Vrms if your tastes include quieter mastered recordings.  i was able to bottom out the stepped attenuator earlier today on a different amp configured for the same 10Vrms on one of my quietest mastered albums. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back