Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Feb 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #916 of 6,061
Quote:
obsessive
so it sounds like the HE-6 induces a bad case of the hiccups in the cavalli...another case of this headphone performing voodoo magic on an amp. By the way...I've read that cavalli amps rule, be the way. What other headphone, if any, are you running through the LG? Hd800 must sound awesome through it.

To be fair to the LG, it's only tripped the protection twice with the HE-6, and I think it could be the particular tubes I was using.  As far as the Cavalli LG is concerned, it's absolutely stunning with the HD800, but I don't own them (yet).  I'm running the HE-6, LCD-3, HD650, and Mr Speakers Mad Dogs.  I'm probably going to give up the HE-6 and LCD-3 to fund the HD800.  

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #917 of 6,061
To be fair to the LG, it's only tripped the protection twice with the HE-6, and I think it could be the particular tubes I was using.  As far as the Cavalli LG is concerned, it's absolutely stunning with the HD800, but I don't own them (yet).  I'm running the HE-6, LCD-3, HD650, and Mr Speakers Mad Dogs.  I'm probably going to give up the HE-6 and LCD-3 to fund the HD800.  
cavalli LG, HD800, and mullard Nos tubes...you'll think you died and went to heaven. Mullards sound so smooth...THE Tube for the Senns.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #918 of 6,061
cavalli LG, HD800, and mullard Nos tubes...you'll think you died and went to heaven. Mullards sound so smooth...THE Tube for the Senns.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #922 of 6,061
Quote:
Quote:
obsessive
so it sounds like the HE-6 induces a bad case of the hiccups in the cavalli...another case of this headphone performing voodoo magic on an amp. By the way...I've read that cavalli amps rule, be the way. What other headphone, if any, are you running through the LG? Hd800 must sound awesome through it.

I could be in the market for a Pre-Owned HE-6 around the month of May. Will monitor the night skies to see how my stars are doing.

Post Script.:  That's special...enjoy your mom!

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #923 of 6,061
I could be in the market for a Pre-Owned HE-6 around the month of May. Will monitor the night skies to see how my stars are doing.

what would you drive them with? Learn from my mistakes...get a speaker amp a la first watt J2 and avoid wild goose chase I've been involved in for the past year.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #924 of 6,061
Quote:
what would you drive them with? Learn from my mistakes...get a speaker amp a la first watt J2 and avoid wild goose chase I've been involved in for the past year.

X2.
I'm using the Manley Stingray with great success. Replaced the stock tubes with Seimens 12AT7s &  Mullard EL84s 
The tubes themselves cost me more than the Mjolnir but absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #925 of 6,061
My new amp :)

And for the best pairing

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #926 of 6,061
Quote:
Quote:

I've already had the HE-6 on loan (twice). Used it with my vintage Pioneer 1980 SX-D7000, no problem. I will be getting another powerful amp this summer (new and/or vintage). The current iron gives me options.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #927 of 6,061
Quote:
My new amp
smily_headphones1.gif

And for the best pairing

Oh 
tongue_smile.gif
 my! Thanks for letting us share in your joy...

Who makes the headphone adapter? My first Mcintosh experience was a pair of mono MC275's pushing (I know, I know...
rolleyes.gif
) an efficient pair of big Klipschorn speakers. I loved it!

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #928 of 6,061
Quote:

Oh 
tongue_smile.gif

The best pairing is the HE-6! The HD800 sound fantastic too though, brings in a bit more meat and expands the staging a lot more than the mjolnir

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #929 of 6,061
Quote:
Quote:

Oh 
tongue_smile.gif

The best pairing is the HE-6! The HD800 sound fantastic too though, brings in a bit more meat and expands the staging a lot more than the mjolnir

Is that box the headphone adapter for the HE-6? Or something else? And how do you mate the Senns to the Mc?

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #930 of 6,061
Quote:
Is that box the headphone adapter for the HE-6? Or something else? And how do you mate the Senns to the Mc?

Yup, that's the HiFiMAN adaptor, and I can plug the HD800's in it as well. I have a tiny tiny noise floor with the HD800 but it's actually not bad at all; I was expecting worse. I can sort it out with noise dampers and whatnot.

I have to be careful with the volume knob and the HD800 though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back