Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 6, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #4,876 of 6,061
One glowing endorsement from me on the HP-1 is that I sent it back but I miss it already. I was able to pick apart dac differences much more easily with it.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #4,878 of 6,061
I've no experience with that amp, but looking at the specs, I'd say its under powered for the HE-6.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #4,879 of 6,061
was wondering if anyone has any experience/tried the Consonance M100? I just purchased one to try with the He-6. Seems good but are times where its gets busy and then its muddled! gets hot too.

Are you using a parallel 10ohm resistor to provide the amp with an appropriate 8 ohm load? A transformer matched tube amp won't be that happy driving the 50ohm HE6 directly.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #4,880 of 6,061
Regarding Consonance M100:

For reference I used to thave a Leben CS300 which does 12W @ 8 Ohm (with a 10 Ohm power resistor across the terminals - this is mandatory with a transformer coupled tube amp). I didn't feel it lacked power. The First Watt F1J is reported to be extremely good with HE-6 even though it is only 10W in 8 Ohm (which translates to 1.6W in 50 Ohm).

However, the HiFiMan manual recommends a minimum power of 2W in 50 Ohms. This will ensure undistorted peaks at 110dB. Depending on music genre and typical listening volume this may be on the low side or it may be enough.

In my experience it's not all about power, but also about the character of the amp. And in addition how you like the sound. If you love a lighter sound signature then the stock HE-6 will suit you, but if you prefer the tonality of a floorstandig speaker, then you need to mod HE-6 no matter what amp you use (again - in my experience).

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #4,881 of 6,061
  Regarding Consonance M100:

For reference I used to thave a Leben CS300 which does 12W @ 8 Ohm (with a 10 Ohm power resistor across the terminals - this is mandatory with a transformer coupled tube amp). I didn't feel it lacked power. The First Watt F1J is reported to be extremely good with HE-6 even though it is only 10W in 8 Ohm (which translates to 1.6W in 50 Ohm).

The F1J will do better than 1.6 W into 50 ohms.  It is a current output amp, so you can't use the impedance ratio shortcut to determine power at other load impedances.  I've measured 30 Vp-p output on my F1 (manual rates it at 40 Vp-p, but YMMV, per Mr. Pass)  which is about 2.25 W RMS into 50 ohms.
Not a huge difference, but worth noting. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #4,882 of 6,061
Are you using a parallel 10ohm resistor to provide the amp with an appropriate 8 ohm load? A transformer matched tube amp won't be that happy driving the 50ohm HE6 directly.

What are the results of this? Good?

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #4,883 of 6,061

It's a protective measure for the amp, and possibly an impedance matching measure for optimal tube loading..

Transformer coupled tube amps do not like to have zero load on their outputs, because there's a small risk of, ah, the easiest way to explain it would be that it might cause and instability and makes things go kablooey. Amps should have some sort of protection against that, but better to err on the side of safety.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #4,884 of 6,061

Output transformers (OT) are designed to work with specific loads. Typically most transformers have 4, 8 ohm and possibly 16ohm taps. Sometimes the OT is designed for just a single median impedance, say 6ohms. The transformer will be operating optimally in terms of power transfer when it is matched to the load. Distortion products and frequency response can also be suboptimal with poor load matching.
The 10ohm resistor in parallel with the HE6 will present close to an 8 ohm resistive load and allow the OT to operate in an optimal range off the 8 ohm taps.
Note, the majority of the power will be developed across the 10 ohm resistor, so it must be sized appropriately.

As mentioned above you should not operate a transformer coupled tube amp with no load. The unloaded OT primary essentially becomes an inductor and can build up excessive voltages in response to (small) current change. These voltages can damage winding insulation in the OT primary or cause arcing at the tube sockets. Not good.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #4,885 of 6,061
As long as my headphone is always connected, there's a load, right?

Thanks for the info. I'll look into good 10ohm resistors. Any recommendations?

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #4,886 of 6,061
As long as my headphone is always connected, there's a load, right?

Thanks for the info. I'll look into good 10ohm resistors. Any recommendations?

Yes. You can connect the resistor directly across the screw down binding posts and if using banana connections for the HE6 a load will remain on the amp even when the HE6 is unplugged.
Try relatively cheap 10-20W wirewound resistors and see if it yields
any benefits.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #4,887 of 6,061
The F1J will do better than 1.6 W into 50 ohms.  It is a current output amp, so you can't use the impedance ratio shortcut to determine power at other load impedances.  I've measured 30 Vp-p output on my F1 (manual rates it at 40 Vp-p, but YMMV, per Mr. Pass)  which is about 2.25 W RMS into 50 ohms.
Not a huge difference, but worth noting. 
Okay. I asked Nelson Pass in an email about the power output of the F1J into 50 Ohms. His answer to me was "about one Watt". This was of course not a measurement, but an estimation from the designer of the amp. I took the liberty of noting the calculated number since it is more than the estimation by Nelson Pass.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #4,888 of 6,061
I'm finally planning to try my HE-6 with a power amp:), since I'm using a dual 3-pin xlr cable and the power amp has the speaker outputs quite separated from each other, I think I'll do two independent (for each channel) adapters 2 banana to a single 3-pin XLR, can you confirm me this wiring?: pin 2: +, pin 3: -, and pin 1 not connected. Am I right?:) Thanks!

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #4,889 of 6,061
  I've no experience with that amp, but looking at the specs, I'd say its under powered for the HE-6.

actually quite the opposite too much power.

no i don't have a resistor. is that why it sounds muddled in some sections of music?

Yes. You can connect the resistor directly across the screw down binding posts and if using banana connections for the HE6 a load will remain on the amp even when the HE6 is unplugged.
Try relatively cheap 10-20W wirewound resistors and see if it yields
any benefits.

a link would to a resistor would be great and why only a cheap one? from a quick a google there a heavy wound resistors would this help? 
Jesus I'm scared so these last couple of weeks could of caused damaged? does it create heat also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back