Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Aug 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,577 of 6,061
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,578 of 6,061
The Fence -

I was sitting on the "HE-6" fence for some time. Friday, I decided to come down and purchase. The fence seemed a lot lower 
rolleyes.gif
at first glance. My question for y'all is in regards to the HE adapter. Are high quality resistors found inside or of pedestrian quality?

I vaguely remembered one of you HE-6 owners replying it could be better. I'll have one built if the resistors are more of an afterthought with this adapter.
popcorn.gif

want need high quality in my adapter - will pair the HE-6/adapter with:

Shindo F2a Sinhonia monoblocks
Sansui G-22000
Pioneer SX-D7000

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,579 of 6,061
The adapter uses ceramic resistors iirc. Just tie a 10 ohm resistor of your choice between the binding post, no need for fancy adapter 
tongue_smile.gif

I think wuwhere solution is fantastic too, tuck the legs of the resistor inside the spades/bananas

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,580 of 6,061
Quote:
The adapter uses ceramic resistors iirc. Just tie a 10 ohm resistor of your choice between the binding post, no need for fancy adapter 
tongue_smile.gif

I think wuwhere solution is fantastic too, tuck the legs of the resistor inside the spades/bananas

Help!

Lovely... though, I could use a bit of guidance from here. Just two pieces? I'm use to hearing adapters having four pieces - 1 pair parallel, the other pair in series at a different value. The Shindo's are 16 Ohms, the vintage irons are both 8 Ohms.

That said, the above will work for me? Further, what value (resistance) will each amp see with the resistors? 8 Ohms?

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,581 of 6,061
Quote:

Help!

Lovely... though, I could use a bit of guidance from here. Just two pieces? I'm use to hearing adapters having four pieces - 1 pair parallel, the other pair in series at a different value. The Shindo's are 16 Ohms, the vintage irons are both 8 Ohms.

That said, the above will work for me? Further, what value (resistance) will each amp see with the resistors? 8 Ohms?

I think the Shindo has taps for 4/8 and 16 ohms. So just use the 4/8 ohm posts and 10 ohm resistor as Khaine or Wuwhere suggest here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones/540

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #1,582 of 6,061
Quote:

Help!

That said, the above will work for me?

Yes, the 2 pieces we used = only the parallel. Generally you won't need the serial resistor unless you absolutely have no volume control (i.e. deafening volume at 7-8 o'clock). Serial resistors usually affect dynamics so I choose to use none.

In my case, 8 ohm tap, 10 ohm resistor -> the amp will see 8.333333333333333333 ohm.

The Sansui and Pioneer won't require any resistors to operate safely. The Shindo will need the parallel resistors to protect its trannies. If you want the Shindo to see ~16 ohm on the 16 ohm tap, you'll need to use 25-26 ohm parallel resistors.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #1,583 of 6,061
The series resistor provides protection in case of too much current. In the HiFiMan box the 25ohm resistor is rated at 1/4watts. Hopefully it would burn first before your headphones voicecoils vaporize. The parallel resistors burn most of the power too so it offer protection too.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #1,584 of 6,061
The resistors in series are not for the amp but attenuate the signal to the headphones. They can help for example if there is some noise from the amp but you do not need them. I have an adapter where I can engage or bypass them, -- I think using then moves you s little further away from the music but sometimes it sounds a bit more coherent. Still trying to figure it out. One potential advantage can be comfort -- I can run speaker cables to the adapter and get 8 feet or so further away from the amp and close to the couch. But it clearly adds expense compared to wrapping resistors to the speaker terminal.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,585 of 6,061
Quote:
The resistors in series are not for the amp but attenuate the signal to the headphones. They can help for example if there is some noise from the amp but you do not need them. I have an adapter where I can engage or bypass them, -- I think using then moves you s little further away from the music but sometimes it sounds a bit more coherent. Still trying to figure it out. One potential advantage can be comfort -- I can run speaker cables to the adapter and get 8 feet or so further away from the amp and close to the couch. But it clearly adds expense compared to wrapping resistors to the speaker terminal.

Yes, a resistor in series is a voltage divider too but in the HiFiMan box its only purpose is for overcurrent.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #1,587 of 6,061
I believe my monos are tapped for 16 Ohm only (40 wpc @ 16 Ohms) but will do fine with 8 Ohm speakers. Am I understanding that the resistors in series would rob me of some of the magic? Do you think my monos would be safe skipping them? I would hate 
mad.gif
 to toast my Shindos.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,588 of 6,061
Favorite method of hobbyists everywhere.

Silent one, that power box is rarely needed. Transformer coupled tube amps and wanting to use an amp so large that you have no volume control and need to eat some wattage. I use a 125w amp and have plenty of volume control(through digital volume control on DAC and before on a passive volume control between my old DAC and amp). If you are buying new, save the money. You can wrap a load resistor on the posts if you think you can't control the volume knob with security. Takes no tools.

Congrats on your decision and welcome to the club. I think you'll hear what we've heard and lose any interest in other headphones.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,589 of 6,061
Quote:

Yes, the 2 pieces we used = only the parallel. Generally you won't need the serial resistor unless you absolutely have no volume control (i.e. deafening volume at 7-8 o'clock). Serial resistors usually affect dynamics so I choose to use none.

In my case, 8 ohm tap, 10 ohm resistor -> the amp will see 8.333333333333333333 ohm.

The Sansui and Pioneer won't require any resistors to operate safely. The Shindo will need the parallel resistors to protect its trannies. If you want the Shindo to see ~16 ohm on the 16 ohm tap, you'll need to use 25-26 ohm parallel resistors.

Okay, just read/re-read your post... will do! I'll save money and get a pair of 25-26 Ohm resistors. What impedance will the amp see at this value? Thanks, if I have not said so to all of you.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,590 of 6,061
Quote:

Favorite method of hobbyists everywhere.

Silent one, that power box is rarely needed. Transformer coupled tube amps and wanting to use an amp so large that you have no volume control and need to eat some wattage. I use a 125w amp and have plenty of volume control(through digital volume control on DAC and before on a passive volume control between my old DAC and amp). If you are buying new, save the money. You can wrap a load resistor on the posts if you think you can't control the volume knob with security. Takes no tools.

Congrats on your decision and welcome to the club. I think you'll hear what we've heard and lose any interest in other headphones.

Thanks. You and preproman had me early with your adventures. Really, it was just a matter of saving up. I have a preamp for the amp to attenuate the volume - sounds like I should be all set then, with a pair of resistors!
ksc75smile.gif

So, where to get a high quality resistor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back