Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #6,886 of 9,207
  That amp sounds interesting. Have you had a chance to pair it with the HD800? Would you say the MG3 is a neutral amp?

I've never heard it with the HD800, but I would describe it as neutral and extremely transparent.  

Here's a Head-Fi member (FlySweep) who thinks a lot of the HD800 with MG3 (using an impedance match that Jan Plummer optimized for the HD800):  http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones/1005#post_9794963
  I totally understand how many SET owners have found the Millenia [MG3] to be one of the first solid state amps to satisfy them.  The sound possesses a uniquely elegant warmth & extremely refined liquidity.. while simultaneously sounding unbelievably clean, speedy, clear, detailed, and boasting excellent bandwidth.  I (personally) haven't heard anything quite like it, actually.. it's, quite simply, mesmerizing.  How it manages to sound so accurate and transparent through all this.. I have no idea.

It's accurate.. but not remotely fatiguing, clinical, or harsh.  The background is remarkably silent.  I've never heard dynamic swings come across so smooth, well controlled, and effortless.  The tonal purity is hypnotizing.  I simply love linear, wonderfully extended, tight, punchy, fast bass & crisp, airy, open (and again, linear) treble.. but the Millenia's midrange, is nothing short of sublime.

This is, without a doubt, one of the finest amps I've heard the HD800 with.

And with the HD600 (using the same impedance match):   http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones/1140#post_9851367    

AND    http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones/1140#post_9851606   

One thing to keep in mind regarding the impedance matches that Jan Plummer builds.  Aside from being matched for a specific headphone - gain as well as impedance (it's amazing that he takes the time to do this for his customers), the $100 impedance match boxes come in two flavors - one for use with balanced headphones and one for use with single-ended (TRS) cabling.  Pick one or the other or both, but don't try to use an adapter to get from the balanced impedance match to a headphone with single-ended cabling, because... the MG3's speaker terminals do not have a shared ground.

Mike

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #6,888 of 9,207

For 32W @ 8ohm I would expect about 5W @ 50ohm (with no adapter). The impedance adapter adds more resistance doesn't it? so shouldn't the power less than 5W @ 50ohm?

If the output is linear across various impedances, you're probably right.  I don't know what the resistor values are, but looking inside the "magic box," each channel has two resistors, arranged end-to-end, together bridging the binding posts of that channel, and a third resistor in series, coming off the junction of those end-to-end resistors, for the (+) conductor of the headphone cable.  (If that makes any sense...)

Mike

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #6,889 of 9,207
My apologies if I'm double posting. But I'm also very interested in the audeze line up. But really uncertain about the type of amp it would qualify to its potential. I see a lot of great reviews on headphone amps. But they are solely dedicated to headphone amps only. I'm looking at some of the peachtree products. As I can use them to power my speakers as well as headphones. Im looking at the Schitt and Woo but they're dedicated to headphones only. Would audio quality depreciate or not being able to reach to its max potential if played on a two channel amp?

Sorry for the long post any input would highly be appreciated thanks

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #6,890 of 9,207
My apologies if I'm double posting. But I'm also very interested in the audeze line up. But really uncertain about the type of amp it would qualify to its potential. I see a lot of great reviews on headphone amps. But they are solely dedicated to headphone amps only. I'm looking at some of the peachtree products. As I can use them to power my speakers as well as headphones. Im looking at the Schitt and Woo but they're dedicated to headphones only. Would audio quality depreciate or not being able to reach to its max potential if played on a two channel amp?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #6,891 of 9,207

Not really. There are a number of headphone amplifiers that offer a pre for speakers, schiit is one of them.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #6,893 of 9,207
  And the LCD2/LCD3 don't need speaker amps to sound good period. 

Yup, recommending speaker amps for the Audez'es is pretty stupid.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #6,896 of 9,207
  And it sucks!

Tell me about it. 
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #6,897 of 9,207

Yeah it seems stupid is the common trend in posts lately on head-fi.

We should ditch headphone amps then? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back