Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #6,871 of 9,207
  Not bad, not bad at all. The added treble energy is a nice change of pace from what I'm used to. Bass is tight and punchy, mids are pretty neutral. Definitely a brighter sounding amp compared to my HA-160 or Mini-X.

More listening required...

Brighter? I'd want mine to be less bright, calm down the upper part a bit. But then again, when using my HD650 I'm surprised how they sound as if there's a blanket put between my ears and the headphone, don't like that a bit anymore now that I have something else to compare with which apparently is better. Guess I really should turn toward tubes instead?

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #6,872 of 9,207
Im not too excited about the new statement amps..I believe the MJ will still come out on top at a better value.

The MJ is great with every planar, it was built around planar phones afterall.

All planars don't sound the same.  While I like the MJ with the LCDs I don't like it with the HiFimans or the Mad dogs.  Thats just me.  The good thing about the Statement amp is that it will have a gain switch, this will allow it to pair better with other headphones.  Have to wait and see if that holds true..

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #6,873 of 9,207
Im not too excited about the new statement amps..I believe the MJ will still come out on top at a better value.

The MJ is great with every planar, it was built around planar phones afterall.

All planars don't sound the same.  While I like the MJ with the LCDs I don't like it with the HiFimans or the Mad dogs.  Thats just me.  The good thing about the Statement amp is that it will have a gain switch, this will allow it to pair better with other headphones.  Have to wait and see if that holds true..
And a single ended input for headphones :D

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #6,874 of 9,207

+1

The HiFiman planars I've tried with the the Mjolnir (HE-400/HE-500) didn't pair well. The HE-500, which is tuned to be a brightish can, got bright to the point of harshness. The HE-400--well, do you really want to emphasize that tizziness? The HiFiman planar I like is the HE-6, and my understanding is it isn't great with the Mjolnir.

The statement amp may not be a quantum improvement in powering the LCDs, but if it becomes more GS-X like in its versatility, that would be worth a lot. By its definition, a "statement" amp should blow people away--and I think Schiit wouldn't send out a flagship that has people saying, meh!

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #6,875 of 9,207
Hello guys.

I'm looking for an amp for my upcoming LCD-2, and I need some advices.
I hold the Mjolnir at the top of my list, but are there amps less "clinical" - that bring more emotion to the music ?
I'm open to tube amps and Dac-Amp combos, and looking between 500 and 1000$ (2nd hands are OK, but on the lower side of the range).

Best regards and thanks for help!

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #6,876 of 9,207
  Hello guys.

I hold the Mjolnir at the top of my list, but are there amps less "clinical" - that bring more emotion to the music ?
I'm open to tube amps and Dac-Amp combos, and looking between 500 and 1000$ (2nd hands are OK, but on the lower side of the range).

The Woo WA6-SE or the Little Dot MK VI+. I spent some time debating between the two and ultimately went with the Little Dot. It sounds pretty fantastic and even better with a good set of tubes. Tube rolling is where it can get expensive. I picked up my Little Dot for $600 used.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #6,878 of 9,207
There's nothing clinical or overly analytical about the LCD-2 out of the Mjolnir--controlled, detailed, and powerful is how I'd describe the sound. A clean, powerful, and accurate amp like the Mjolnir preserves the harmonic detail that makes recordings sound realistic and maximizes the separation and dynamics in the mix.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #6,883 of 9,207
  Hello guys.

An amp "that brings more emotion to the music"?

$500 to $1000?

I have to put in another plug for the TBI Audio Millenia MG3 (a stunningly analog-sounding 32-Watts into 8-Ohm speaker amp that offers a wonderful, organic, natural reproduction of any and all acoustic instruments and vocals, which is to say, it can handle everything else very well, too.  Piano sounds like piano, guitar, brass instruments, you name it - this amp makes music instead of reproducing it.  

It has none of the harsh, analytical glare of many solid state amps, with a very smooth treble and superb rendering of micro details necessary for soundstage and imaging.  It really sounds GREAT with my LCD-2 rev.1, using a custom-made impedance match (crafted and tuned by the amp's designer, Jan Plummer).   The impedance match delivers around 5 Watts per channel into the 50-Ohm LCD-2, providing plenty of power for dynamics and bass control.

Better still, the amp can be powered by 12- to 24-Volt DC batteries or external power supplies.  I use a 24-Volt, 6-cell LiPo battery that can operate the MG3 for 35 hours on a single charge - providing ultra-clean power for both desktop use and for my "travel rig".

I also use the MG3 (without the impedance match, but still on battery power) with some very efficient, 8-Ohm Definitive Technology SM45 monitors that offer 90 dB SPL at standard parameters.  Again, they sound great with the MG3 - very organic and natural.  

The MG3 sells for $500, new, and the impedance match for LCD-2 was another $100.

Quoting Steve Hoffman's enthusiastic review at Positive Feedback:  http://positive-feedback.com/Issue67/tbi_millenia.htm

The 2.0 series [MG3] amplifier now dissolves several more sonic artifacts, and projects an honest rendition of the music into the room that makes an immediate connection with the listener. Over the years Mary Chapin Carpenter has logged a great many hours on my systems, and I find her music to be satisfying over the long haul, but also very well recorded. "John Doe No. 24" [Stones In the Road; Columbia CK 64327] is a long time reference, and the Millenia turns in a performance that is worthy of an affordable high end amplifier. Carpenter is located well out into the room with an immediacy that brings out the subtle texture of her dark and introspective vocal style. Her guitar playing has a languid pace, and you can just close your eyes and see her fingers work over each string, and slide across the neck in a an unhurried pace. Branford Marsalis is responsible for the poignant saxophone work on this song, and while the instrument is located farther back in the sound stage, it has such compelling tone and texture that it cannot be ignored. Marsalis closes the song with a melancholic solo, and the saxophone has such a vibrant feel to it that all the emotion he places in this passage flows out to the listener. The Millenia now has the ability to affect an emotional connection between artist and audience, and that is a rare trait that separates the pedestrian consumer grade level of electronics from what the hobbyist would consider to be higher performance audio gear.

My "travel rig":

And as a desktop rig:

Jan Plummer offers a 30-day return policy, so I would encourage you to give it a try.  

http://www.tbisound.com/dsp_products_millenia.asp

Mike

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #6,884 of 9,207

Hello guys.

An amp "that brings more emotion to the music"?

$500 to $1000?

I have to put in another plug for the TBI Audio Millenia MG3 (a stunningly analog-sounding 32-Watts into 8-Ohm speaker amp that offers a wonderful, organic, natural reproduction of any and all acoustic instruments and vocals, which is to say, it can handle everything else very well, too.  Piano sounds like piano, guitar, brass instruments, you name it - this amp makes music instead of reproducing it.  

It has none of the harsh, analytical glare of many solid state amps, with a very smooth treble and superb rendering of micro details necessary for soundstage and imaging.  It really sounds GREAT with my LCD-2 rev.1, using a custom-made impedance match (crafted and tuned by the amp's designer, Jan Plummer).   The impedance match delivers around 5 Watts per channel into the 50-Ohm LCD-2, providing plenty of power for dynamics and bass control.

Better still, the amp can be powered by 12- to 24-Volt DC batteries or external power supplies.  I use a 24-Volt, 6-cell LiPo battery that can operate the MG3 for 35 hours on a single charge - providing ultra-clean power for both desktop use and for my "travel rig".

I also use the MG3 (without the impedance match, but still on battery power) with some very efficient, 8-Ohm Definitive Technology SM45 monitors that offer 90 dB SPL at standard parameters.  Again, they sound great with the MG3 - very organic and natural.  

The MG3 sells for $500, new, and the impedance match for LCD-2 was another $100.

Mike

That amp sounds interesting. Have you had a chance to pair it with the HD800? Would you say the MG3 is a neutral amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back