Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 10, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #6,647 of 9,207
Jesterphile is correct. A nice vintage integrated amp may be what you're looking for.

If bass is what you're after and youre on a budget, an o2 amp has enough juice to power a pair of lcd-2's with ease and then all you need is a good digital graphic eq or good bass dsp plugins for foobar or mediamonkey like the h82 harmonic maximizer set on bass drum settings

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #6,648 of 9,207
Yea but..Impact...? Which headphone did you feel more beats by dre?

Can you reword this so that we can have an idea of what kind of tone you're using when you say this?

Also, LCD-2 has good impact, but in a relative sense, it doesn't. It definitely doesn't have the slam of HD800 bass, and it definitely doesn't have the rumble and impact of a JH16. I guess we can call this balanced, but I don't believe Audeze's have "so much impact it shakes my core." I guess this all depends on what you have heard and what your reference point is. Even with the DNA Stratus, I didn't think it had that much impact, definitely more, but still not THAT much as suggested in this thread.

Maybe Dubstep Girl can give us a quick bass comparo between Audeze and TH900 on an ideal setup?

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #6,649 of 9,207
I dont know what set up you have or what music you listen to or even if you bother with eq, but out of my pioneer sa-9500 headphone out, with the bass knob turned a couple notches right, my lcd-2's hit harder than my xb1000's with comparable sub bass but way better mid bass slam/punch/kick whatever.

Set up right, they can hit like closed cans without interrupting or bleeding into the mids

When I listen to burial - truant, wu tang clan - triumph, or phaelah - the cold in you, the bass vibrates my entire skull violently lol

Yeah I'm not gonna EQ my setup and then talk about my setup compared to others as if we're listening to the same headphone even remotely. I also don't have bass knobs on my Schiit Mjolnirs but I'll talk to Jason about it.

Dubstep, I know exactly what you're talking about and I completely agree, it has the bass tone so you get the rumble, but actual drum hits aren't emphasized is what I mean. I trust that you and I are hearing the same thing.

To me bass impact and punch are the exact same thing. Quantity of bass the LCD-2 has. The LCD-2 is perfectly capable of representing the lower tones perfectly, but it's how much attack is in the bass per drum kick for example.

So I listen to a lot of percussion where the HD800's snappy bass is great, but sometimes I'll settle down after a drink with LCD-2's while listening to cello where the lush midrange that melts with the bass and treble comes in handy. It's not to say that somehow the LCD-2 is missing an entire range of sound, it's there, it just doesn't have the attack of other cans.

Other cans I feel have bass impact but are not necessarily more quantity ie boomyness. Just because something has more bass impact than lcd-2 does not automatically class it in fart cannon territory, the LCD-2 isn't exactly a neutral benchmark itself, which is why it's so fun to listen to in the first place.

HD800
HD700
HD600
Grado RS-2i
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyer T70 (have not heard T1)

None of those are particularly bassy headphones right? But they do have bass impact. 

Jesterphile and I both see eye to eye, we both clearly own the headphones to this day so nobody is saying the LCD-2's suck guys.

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #6,650 of 9,207
Jesterphile is correct. A nice vintage integrated amp may be what you're looking for.

If bass is what you're after and youre on a budget, an o2 amp has enough juice to power a pair of lcd-2's with ease and then all you need is a good digital graphic eq or good bass dsp plugins for foobar or mediamonkey like the h82 harmonic maximizer set on bass drum settings

Just tried the H82, and I only set the LO MIX to 1.0 and put the input gain a bit down and that's it, that is exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks a lot :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #6,652 of 9,207

Yeah I'm not gonna EQ my setup and then talk about my setup compared to others as if we're listening to the same headphone even remotely. I also don't have bass knobs on my Schiit Mjolnirs but I'll talk to Jason about it.

To me bass impact and punch are the exact same thing. Quantity of bass the LCD-2 has. The LCD-2 is perfectly capable of representing the lower tones perfectly, but it's how much attack is in the bass per drum kick for example.

So I listen to a lot of percussion where the HD800's snappy bass is great, but sometimes I'll settle down after a drink with LCD-2's while listening to cello where the lush midrange that melts with the bass and treble comes in handy. It's not to say that somehow the LCD-2 is missing an entire range of sound, it's there, it just doesn't have the attack of other cans.

Other cans I feel have bass impact but are not necessarily more quantity ie boomyness. Just because something has more bass impact than lcd-2 does not automatically class it in fart cannon territory, the LCD-2 isn't exactly a neutral benchmark itself, which is why it's so fun to listen to in the first place.

HD800
HD700
HD600
Grado RS-2i
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyer T70 (have not heard T1)

None of those are particularly bassy headphones right? But they do have bass impact. 

Jesterphile and I both see eye to eye, we both clearly own the headphones to this day so nobody is saying the LCD-2's suck guys.

the LCD-2 has a kind of bass and other headphones like TH-900 have another kind of bass.  i also feel like the HD 800 have good  bass, but its different.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #6,653 of 9,207

Can you reword this so that we can have an idea of what kind of tone you're using when you say this?

Also, LCD-2 has good impact, but in a relative sense, it doesn't. It definitely doesn't have the slam of HD800 bass, and it definitely doesn't have the rumble and impact of a JH16. I guess we can call this balanced, but I don't believe Audeze's have "so much impact it shakes my core." I guess this all depends on what you have heard and what your reference point is. Even with the DNA Stratus, I didn't think it had that much impact, definitely more, but still not THAT much as suggested in this thread.

Maybe Dubstep Girl can give us a quick bass comparo between Audeze and TH900 on an ideal setup?

try listening at higher volumes, i think most people listen too quietly sometimes, and the audeze definitely needs volume for the bass to come out.

but the LCD-2 i think has a type of impact thats kinda like HE-500 but still different. it definitely isn't always a rumble though or a boom, i don't know how you guys are trying to explain it, i seem confused since i always though it was impact that the LCD-2 have, but not the same type of bass as like a TH-900 would have, that kind of bass is mostly sub-bass and it has much more presence, like a subwoofer, it just fills your head with bass, the LCD-2 definitely doesn't have that. its more of just a midbass impact/punch, it definitely has more of it than the LCD-3. though the LCD-3 seems to have a little more sub-bass, but the LCD-3 seems lighter in the bass than LCD-2. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #6,654 of 9,207
Some of you's need to get your terminology up to date. Sub-bass != mid-bass. Chris_Himself is right, none of the LCD2's have a large amount of bass impact (if you want lots of impact look at the closed headphones in the Basshead thread). What the LCD's (2/both revisions and 3/both revisions) excel in is sub-bass, the low-end rumble.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #6,655 of 9,207
  try listening at higher volumes, i think most people listen too quietly sometimes, and the audeze definitely needs volume for the bass to come out.

The LCD2's need volume up a notch extra or too for treble and the mids to come out, you want to cancel that wall of dominating bass otherwise if you have volume on too low, or you get is a wall of bass, everything sucked out.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #6,656 of 9,207
I don't know, you musta had something wrong, there's no way you didn't get impact from LCD2. Especially with Mjolnir.

I too also do not feel any bass impact from my 2011 rev2. The bass is there, but its not fast enough to give impact. Listening to Hotel California from the Eagles Hell Freezes Over, the kick drums at the start just sound like a moderately low bass rumble. Nothing like the impact I get from the same song on speakers.
My lcd2 is on a V200 and Rega dac, so there should be no shortage of power there.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #6,657 of 9,207

but the LCD-2 i think has a type of impact thats kinda like HE-500 but still different. it definitely isn't always a rumble though or a boom, i don't know how you guys are trying to explain it, i seem confused since i always though it was impact that the LCD-2 have, but not the same type of bass as like a TH-900 would have, that kind of bass is mostly sub-bass and it has much more presence, like a subwoofer, it just fills your head with bass, the LCD-2 definitely doesn't have that. its more of just a midbass impact/punch, it definitely has more of it than the LCD-3. though the LCD-3 seems to have a little more sub-bass, but the LCD-3 seems lighter in t

TH600 have a really fun bass. Nowhere near as accurate as LCD-2 but as you say it's completely different. I know what you mean when you say "fills your head with bass" as they do have that immersive quality to them. LCD-2 by comparison is tight, precise and impactful.

LCD-2 mids piss all over TH600 but overall I'm enjoying the Fostex just as much. They're definitely not reference headphones but they have qualities that the LCD-2 can't match, like great treble and big soundstage (even though I never found LCD-2 to be particularly lacking in these areas, especially after adding AP2 to my setup).

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #6,658 of 9,207
  Some of you's need to get your terminology up to date. Sub-bass != mid-bass. Chris_Himself is right, none of the LCD2's have a large amount of bass impact (if you want lots of impact look at the closed headphones in the Basshead thread). What the LCD's (2/both revisions and 3/both revisions) excel in is sub-bass, the low-end rumble.

The LCD2's need volume up a notch extra or too for treble and the mids to come out, you want to cancel that wall of dominating bass otherwise if you have volume on too low, or you get is a wall of bass, everything sucked out.

My faith in the community hath been restored

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #6,659 of 9,207

My faith in the community hath been restored
Pfff...

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #6,660 of 9,207

bass impact would be slam, not quantity, so pressure is the key, closed cans have an advantage, but on my rig my lcd2 have enough slam to impress even the most hardcore bass heads ,what is not a surprise if you take in account the size of the driver and the amount of excursion, which likely makes it the can with most slam ever

this is true, cancels the dominating bass quantity, but should rise slam on capable rigs as well, lcd2 need good rms with a lot of peak power reserve

another thing is that the lcd2 is extremely linear unlike most closed cans, which are L or U shaped so the slam is more distributed and doesn't peak in a narrow lf region

lcd2 needs a powerhouse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back