Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #6,271 of 9,207
Quote:
Didn't know about a new Schiit statement amp coming out ~ any further details on it? Tube/SS, SE/bal?

Pf. Get your head out of the sand. 
tongue_smile.gif
 Linky

I was this close to buying an Mjolnir + Gungjir or Conductor last night until I saw the post about the Statement. Hopefully it works well with the HD 800s as well as the LCD-2. End game for me could be only a few more months away! Cost may be high but the value will be there. Good Schiit. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #6,272 of 9,207
Quote:

I was this close to buying an Mjolnir + Gungjir or Conductor last night until I saw the post about the Statement. Hopefully it works well with the HD 800s as well as the LCD-2. End game for me could be only a few more months away! Cost may be high but the value will be there. Good Schiit. 

Might be awhile..

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #6,273 of 9,207
Quote:

I don't know if I want to hear the BHA-1 balanced with the LCD-2, because I know I could never then settle for anything worse, but also wouldn't be able to afford the BHA-1 full stop. 
size]
 As I live in Australia, brand new they are $1600-$1700 and they would be even more expensive if I were to import one (taxes etc). The only way I could afford one if I could purchase one used off these forums etc in Australia. Even then, it is still ~$700 more than the Mjolnir brand new, which is a lot of money for a uni student 
size]

Stang,

Since no headphones are completely neutral--i.e. not sterile but transparent with no coloration across the audible range--the objective is not to find the highest-quality amp or the most neutral (transparent) amp--that's relatively easy--but it is rather to find an amp that compensates for the LCD2/3 shortcomings (restricted soundstage, dominant  mid-bass, in-your-face presentation, dark coloration over midrange and treble) while preserving their strength (tight focus, coherent sound across audible rannge--a rare quality--good bass impact).

I found that tube amps do not generally match the LCD2/3 well though some tube-hybrid amps fare very well--the Cavalli LF, RWA Corvina/Bellina and Apex Peak/Volcano came immediately to mind.  There are, however, many SS amps that may not be the last work in neutrality or transparency but for that very reason match the LCD2/3 very well.  As I have stated in an earlier post, among the amps that I have owned, the following are excellent companions to the LCD, with prices that are affordable or not too unreasonable:

Vioelectric V200 ($900)--nice and clean sound, with excellent impact 
Bryston BHA-1 ($1300)--more open sound than the V200; plenty of power (balanced); very neutral but somewhat unexciting at times  
Schiit Mjolnir ($750)--not as clean a sound as the V200 or the BHA-1, but plenty of power (no SE) and just the right amount of sparkles to make the LCD2/3 come alive; this exciting sound can be fatiguing in the long run
RWA Corvina ($1,100 discounted)--gorgeous sound, especially in the midrange; good blend of impact, transparency and musicality; this is a steal at the lower price as a new but discontinued model

In all case, I prefer OCC silver cable with the LCD for ultimate transparency, reduced and better proportioned mid-bass volume and overall much bigger dynamic impact.

ST   

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #6,275 of 9,207
I wondered about the Corvina as well (before I settled on a Decware).  It looks like they're not offering them on Audeze's site any longer.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #6,278 of 9,207
Okay, so I just compared the Schiit Mjolnir to the Bryston BHA-1 with my balanced Buffalo II DAC. I used the LCD-2 with an ALO Reference 8 with 4 pin XLR. In my opinion (so take this with a grain of salt), the Mjolnir sounded great and at times I would be wow'ed at the sound that was coming out of it, but there were also many times where it sounded great, but it didn't blow my mind. When I switched to the Bryston, essentially every song I listened to wow'ed me. As far as comparisons, the Mjolnir seemed to have more bass (quantity) but it was less textured and refined compared to the Bryston. The mids are where the Bryston pulls ahead. They just seem so much more forward and detailed. It really is a noticeable step up in that department, especially for vocals. For the highs, the Mjolnir seemed slightly brighter where the Bryston seemed smoother. Overall I really enjoyed the LCD-2 with both, but the Bryston seemed to have better synergy with the LCD-2. Having said all that, I'm not 100% sure I will go for the Bryston, considering the price difference ($700 for me). I hope to purchase the LCD-2 soon (before an amp) so that I can have some more time to compare the amplifiers to each other. I enjoyed the soundstage on both (must be my Buffalo II making that difference). I just need some people to buy my stuff I have listed so I can get the LCD-2 
size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #6,279 of 9,207
Just bought my LCD-2. I'm pretty much looking at Burson Soloist as my amp, and a DAC (yet to decide brand) to drive the LCD-2. 

Anyone like to share their view on Soloist and their LCD-2 pls?

Cheers

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #6,280 of 9,207
Quote:
Just bought my LCD-2. I'm pretty much looking at Burson Soloist as my amp, and a DAC (yet to decide brand) to drive the LCD-2. 

Anyone like to share their view on Soloist and their LCD-2 pls?

Cheers

Search for "Soloist" in this thread, you will find plenty of opinions and impressions.

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #6,282 of 9,207
If you decide to get the Soloist you can go for the Conductor which is a Soloist with a pretty good dac.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #6,284 of 9,207
Quote:
If you decide to get the Soloist you can go for the Conductor which is a Soloist with a pretty good dac.

Thanks for the recommendation. I did consider Conductor an option, and my local dealer might be able to loan me a demo set to run. Another option is Soloist, but looking for another brand dac could be tricky for me. I'm ain't expert in this field.

I have another consideration when getting amp/dac. That is to have the flexibility to use for my desktop speaker. I'm using Swan M200MKIII with rca. 
o2smile.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #6,285 of 9,207
The Conductor can be used to output to your speakers too. That's how I use it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back