Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #6,196 of 9,207
Yea, but any names you know?

What's your budget?

I have a Decware Taboo that outputs 1700 mw @ 50/75 ohms. There are plenty others but it starts getting pricey. I have a vintage speaker amp that does 1400 mw and sounds great. I picked that up for like $150.

May 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #6,197 of 9,207
40watts @ 8ohms. Is that enough for the LCD2's?

I've always said they sound good out of an iPod but they're a different animal altogether when properly powered. That (40 w @ 8 ohms) sounds like an awful lot of juice. How much is that @ 50 ohms?

... And you'd know better than me :D

May 26, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #6,201 of 9,207
Quote:

I've always said they sound good out of an iPod but they're a different animal altogether when properly powered. That (40 w @ 8 ohms) sounds like an awful lot of juice. How much is that @ 50 ohms?

... And you'd know better than me
biggrin.gif

Yea lots of power = true.

But I don't know the answer to the last question as to much watts that is @ 50 ohms. I can't figure it out. I've been acting like a zombie today. 

May 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #6,202 of 9,207
Quote:
Woah! They sound good out I am iPod.....

I have been pleasantly surprised many times when plugging my LCD2 straight into an iPhone 4s, or iPod 2g, iPod 1g, and various Macs (with or without a Fiio E17 amp/dac) ........ and heard beautiful full sound -- not ideal of course -- but my feeling is they are extremely versatile 'phones.

May 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #6,203 of 9,207
I have been pleasantly surprised many times when plugging my LCD2 straight into an iPhone 4s, or iPod 2g, iPod 1g, and various Macs (with or without a Fiio E17 amp/dac) ........ and heard beautiful full sound -- not ideal of course -- but my feeling is they are extremely versatile 'phones.

Yes the LCD2.2s do provide nice sound BUT with very limited sound stage and rolled off treble response.

May 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #6,204 of 9,207
Indeed they are, so if anyone is on a budget but really want the LCD-2 then they can just buy them and run them out of practically anything until they can afford a powerful amp.

I know Audeze says minimum 1W, and others say that the best way to drive them is through very high output power amps with ~5W. But even an HA-160 with a pretty low output power can drive them perfectly, even the built-in amp on D100 MKII is sufficient enough. Of course I haven't tried very high output powered amps like the ones from Audio-gd, MKVI+, or the Schiit amps, so I can't comment on the improvement of sound apart from higher volumes; but nontheless I'm very amazed at how versatile these headphones really are, considering them being planar magnetic and all.

May 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #6,205 of 9,207
I have had the Audio-GD SA-31 here for a week, using the DACmini CX (1ohm) > SA-31 > LCD-2.2. I am pretty satisfied with this setup. The DACmini/LCD-2 combo is supposedly nearly a perfect match (from what I've read from several on here) so I was not really expecting to get any kind of improvement. My expectations were low. Before you read on, be aware that I have not used any other amps with the LCD so I don't have any comparisons with the names that always pop up on this thread. Just my portable amp, Leckerton UHA 6S-MKII, and the DACmini all-in-one. 

With the DACmini feeding the LCD, the sound is really good. However I couldn't help but feel that I wanted to try an amp with some more wattage behind it to see if I could bring a bit more out of the LCD. Direct out of the DACmini, my issue is wishing for a bit more bass presence. And I also feel the sound of the combo is the best when the headphones are driven at a bit higher volume, and when you go just a bit past that I can feel the amp section is straining just a bit. Bass gets a bit looser, highs a little more harsh. (very very minor amounts) So my sweet spot with that setup is just near the cusp of pushing the amp sections ability. Probably a little room for improvement. 

The Audio-GD SA-31 puts out 10 watts @ 40 ohm (so what is that at the LCD's 50 ohm?) I don't know. Maybe 9 watts? Plenty, anyway. Diamond differential design. There are 3 adjustable "warmth" settings that can be set with internal jumpers. "0", "Warm 1" and "Warm 2". This amp, while having the description of "musical flavor" and "warmth settings"...well, don't let that fool you into thinking it will be a muddy mess with the LCD. Quite the opposite.

This amp pumps out gobs of clear goodness and the warmth seems to be affecting harmonics and space more so than primary notes. Compared to direct out of the DACmini, it is actually cleaner and more detailed. Adding the jumpers to the "warm 1" setting gives more depth to the space and a wonderful lifelike sensation while not affecting the clarity whatsoever. I hate to use this term, buuuuuttt..."3D" works here. That's the difference. "warm 2" is just on the cusp of affecting details a bit. Bass/ headspace gets bigger and deeper...still perfectly suitable for the LCD. I settled on "warm 1" for now. Best of both worlds. I have read on some posts describing the Audio-GD amps darkness or warmth as "Kingwa dark". Whatever that guy is doing, he is doing it right. My biggest fear was that this amp would be too dark or warm for the LCD. Not an issue. 

Drawbacks? I wish it had a volume knob rather than buttons. But it was a design choice for sound quality reasons. Also, I need to now invest in some good RCA interconnects, since it's not one box anymore . (I'm using kind of cruddy ones now) Also the blue display lights are way too bright, but a touch of window tint fixed that. My wife says it's ugly. But she says that about everything audio related. 

Anyway, just initial impressions. This amp gives you all juice you need for the LCD-2 without breaking a sweat. The real surprise here is the added warmth and soundstage without affecting clarity at all. This reminds me of some of my favorite gear, Heir Audio 8.A and the LCD-2. They can be warm, and fun, but serving up details as well. Speaking of which, the amp has no issue driving sensitive custom IEM's as well. Switch it to low gain and you're good. The DACmini is just too strong for my Heir 4.A's (the 8.A's are okay). I had to run the DACMini to my UHA amp to use it with the 4.A's. I can plug those right into the SA-31 and get good results. 

Is it worth adding a $500 amp to the DACmini for the improvement? well that's up to you. Everybody has done stupider things! ha ha. I really would love to be able to try some other amps in this price range or some of the other gear discussed on this thread to see how the SA-31 compares. 

And yes, I agree with the comments about the LCD-2 being able to be enjoyed from just about any source. I have tried the LCD-2 direct from an iPod touch 5G, Clip Zip, and Ipod classic 7G and it's not the worst thing in the world! (prepare for some funny looks if you have a clip zip dangling off the end of your LCD cable) LOL. However, upping the sources and amping brings more out of the cans for sure.

May 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #6,206 of 9,207
Yea, but any names you know?

Magni does it. Asgard 2 does it. Plenty of people use the O2 and say it is fine and that's considerably less than either of those (1/2 the power). 

The LCD2 aren't hard to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back