Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #6,166 of 9,207
Quote:
IMO, what one hear might not be what the other hear. Down to personal preferences too. One may perceive warm as his "neutral" as he prefers it.

Indeed, it's all subjective.

May 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #6,167 of 9,207
Quote:
Neutral = cold ?
If the Soloist is warmer than the Mjolnir (as I have read, if I remember well - otherwise reverse the amps in the sentence), it is not neutral ?

Edit: Nevermind, as I think Monir above put it better than me

Spectrum is: Warm -> Neutral -> Cold. Think of an axis with -, 0, +. The definion of neutral should be: The amp does not add/substract any coloration to the sound coming out of the DAC, or ideally the original sound.  

Obviously there are individual sets of ears, preferences yada, ymmv, etc... But then again, it makes it more difficult to have a conversation where the definition of terms swings...

May 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #6,168 of 9,207
Quote:

If you didn't hear it, you're either "lucky" and you will not have to have all these concerns, or something else at play in your system such as suboptimal source. I've level matched A/B'ed my V200 and Soloist at home. There is a clear difference, recognisable by non-audiophiles such as wife.

I just spent days comparing G109(*) and Soloist with Concero as source (and HD800's). If there was a "clear" difference, then certainly not for my ears. There might have been _very_ small differences, but I choose to ignore anything that's not clearly repeatable (maybe our definition of clear differs). I also don't count anything that requires switch times over 1 second..

It's pretty funny since I wouldn't really consider my hearing bad, I score very well for example in the distortion detection test (can't remember the url right now..).

(*)I compared O2/G109/V200 long time ago with instant RCA switchbox without clear differences. So I believe G109/V200 are pretty comparable.

May 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #6,169 of 9,207
Im currently looking at the Burson Soloist SL, ALO Pan Am, Schiit Bifrost + Lyr combo, Woo Audio WA7/WA6SE, Musical fidelity M1 HPA, and Centrance Dacmini.
Has anyone here tried a few of those amps with the LCD2. Which gives the strongest bass impact. Which gives the best soundstage.

May 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #6,170 of 9,207
Im currently looking at the Burson Soloist SL, ALO Pan Am, Schiit Bifrost + Lyr combo, Woo Audio WA7/WA6SE, Musical fidelity M1 HPA, and Centrance Dacmini.
Has anyone here tried a few of those amps with the LCD2. Which gives the strongest bass impact. Which gives the best soundstage.

IMHO, Bifrost+Lyr, followed very closely by Bifrost+Soloist.

May 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #6,172 of 9,207
I never liked any of the LCD2's with the Lyr, sound was too constricted and muffled. I liked the V100/V200 with my modded LCD2 rev.1's but it was a weird mix with the rev.2's. As I've been saying for quite a while now, you want the polar opposites of the traits of an amp to pair with the LCD2's. LCD2's are dark, warm and laid back, you want an amp that is bright/neutral to balance the flaws/sound sig of the rev.2's.

For some reason I just never seemed to have gotten into the Soloist + LCD2 pairing (neither did I with the Conductor, 160A/D). Amazingly Burson's manufacturing plant is only 25 minutes drive away from me.

May 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #6,173 of 9,207
I never liked any of the LCD2's with the Lyr, sound was too constricted and muffled. I liked the V100/V200 with my modded LCD2 rev.1's but it was a weird mix with the rev.2's. As I've been saying for quite a while now, you want the polar opposites of the traits of an amp to pair with the LCD2's. LCD2's are dark, warm and laid back, you want an amp that is bright/neutral to balance the flaws/sound sig of the rev.2's.

For some reason I just never seemed to have gotten into the Soloist + LCD2 pairing (neither did I with the Conductor, 160A/D). Amazingly Burson's manufacturing plant is only 25 minutes drive away from me.

That's your opinion. I like the LCD-2 just the way it is, if you are tryin to neutralize everything might as well get a neutral can in te first place. It seems like you are attempting to do away with all of the LCD-2s traits. And NO I so not find warm Bassy and dark a negative.

500th Post- Nice!

May 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #6,175 of 9,207
Quote:

500th Post- Nice!

Grats.
beerchug.gif

May 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #6,176 of 9,207

Forget about the M1HPA...I know from experience. It is FAR too polite an amp for the LCD2 signature. Treble is refined(ish), but splashy and a bit sterile. Also has no punch whatsoever. I thought it would make a solid pairing, and it does overall...I'm just left wanting more with each listen.

I'm currently auditioning the Burson Soloist SL (Burson's loaner program) and am loving the sound!!

May 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #6,178 of 9,207
Quote:
As I've been saying for quite a while now, you want the polar opposites of the traits of an amp to pair with the LCD2's. LCD2's are dark, warm and laid back, you want an amp that is bright/neutral to balance the flaws/sound sig of the rev.2's.

For once we agree.  Like I said befor the best I've heard the LCD-2 was on the Mjolnir.  That is is neutral to being  a tad bit on the bright side..

May 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #6,179 of 9,207
If anything I sometimes feel that I want the LCD-2 to be warmer lol

May 20, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #6,180 of 9,207

We must be from the same planet! I completely agree with everything you've said here!

Listen to DefQon, folks. He's spot on.

:)

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back