Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #6,151 of 9,207
Quote:
Just remember that the amp may cost less than $1k, once you start tube rolling, you will exceed $1k very very easily, but at the same time is very very rewarding.

This is part of why I was leaning more toward a SS amp...but if it the MKVI+ is indeed better, what are some tube pairings you can recommend to me based on my preferences?

Another concern is noise with tube amps. Is MKVI quiet in this regard?

May 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #6,152 of 9,207
Quote:
I've been reading that some members on head-fi had hum/noise issues with the MKVI, mostly via single-ended or as a preamp, and others say that they have no hum issue with their MKVI+ model. I especially remember one member that had no issues with the K1000 but had a slight buzz with the LCD-2 via single-ended.

I will most likely buy the MK VI+ the coming month or so and use it single-ended until I can afford a balanced recabling. The hum noise (not the fan noise) would be an issue for me if this persists with the latest version. From what I've gathered it sounds like ground loop and/or interference noise that was reminiscent of the MKIII that I had before.

What's your take on it, Defqon? Have you encountered any noise issues either via balanced or single-ended on any headphone?

Reterminate your LCD2 to balanced yourself, cost 10 bucks and 5 mins, since the cable already got 4 conductors.

May 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6,153 of 9,207
Quote:
I've been reading that some members on head-fi had hum/noise issues with the MKVI, mostly via single-ended or as a preamp, and others say that they have no hum issue with their MKVI+ model. I especially remember one member that had no issues with the K1000 but had a slight buzz with the LCD-2 via single-ended.

I will most likely buy the MK VI+ the coming month or so and use it single-ended until I can afford a balanced recabling. The hum noise (not the fan noise) would be an issue for me if this persists with the latest version. From what I've gathered it sounds like ground loop and/or interference noise that was reminiscent of the MKIII that I had before.

What's your take on it, Defqon? Have you encountered any noise issues either via balanced or single-ended on any headphone?

To my knowledge (and I haven't been keeping up with the Appreciation thread) was that those were the earlier units that exhibited the hum with later units improved greatly? I could be wrong, I get no noise with neither SE or balanced. Although I run mostly balanced.
Quote:

This is part of why I was leaning more toward a SS amp...but if it the MKVI+ is indeed better, what are some tube pairings you can recommend to me based on my preferences?

Another concern is noise with tube amps. Is MKVI quiet in this regard?

Very hard for me to say what is good for you. I've been reading other peoples recommendations and buying in that particular order. There is the Little Dot tube rolling thread and the LD VI+ and VIII SE appreciation threads that have plenty of information on tube rolling these amps.
Quote:
Reterminate your LCD2 to balanced yourself, cost 10 bucks and 5 mins, since the cable already got 4 conductors.

+1

May 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #6,154 of 9,207
Quote:
Upon further research, I've decided I'm going to spend a little more money on an amp so I hopefully won't have to upgrade. The three names that keep coming up are Mjolnir, Soloist, and V200, as well as in DefQon's response. Out of these, what do they offer compared to one another, and which would be the best for my preferences?

Depends which headphones you end up using. With the LCD-2 all 3 seem to work great. The LCD-2s are easy to pair, but again you'll only get the quality in return that you invested in your amp, so probably wise choice skipping the low/mid-fi. I've owned the V200 and now the Soloist.

V200: This is a great tubey-like sounding amp. It is warm coloured. A bit rolled off at the top, good but not great soundstage. It works great with LCD-2s, HD800, but not the best with the LCD-3s, as it kind of takes the LCD-3 backwards in some respects.
Soloist: Works great with all 3, because it's neutral, great soundstage, very detailed, engaging, dynamic, full at the top, without being bright or harsh at all. They way it's tuned is suitable to the vast majority of headphones, including IEMs.
I didn't hear the Mjolnir at length, only at a meet, but I probably wouldn't pair with the HD800s.

May 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #6,155 of 9,207
Quote:

Depends which headphones you end up using. With the LCD-2 all 3 seem to work great. The LCD-2s are easy to pair, but again you'll only get the quality in return that you invested in your amp, so probably wise choice skipping the low/mid-fi. I've owned the V200 and now the Soloist.

V200: This is a great tubey-like sounding amp. It is warm coloured. A bit rolled off at the top, good but not great soundstage. It works great with LCD-2s, HD800, but not the best with the LCD-3s, as it kind of takes the LCD-3 backwards in some respects.
Soloist: Works great with all 3, because it's neutral, great soundstage, very detailed, engaging, dynamic, full at the top, without being bright or harsh at all. They way it's tuned is suitable to the vast majority of headphones, including IEMs.
I didn't hear the Mjolnir at length, only at a meet, but I probably wouldn't pair with the HD800s.

I was disappointed with V200 sound, with LCD2s and also with HD800s. After couple weeks of side by side use of Pan am and M-DAC/V200 I have decided to sell M-DAC/V200 combo and keep Pan Am. It was very easy decision.

May 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #6,156 of 9,207
For LCD-2 I preferred the Yulong Sabre A18 a bit more over the Violectric V200. I was also a little disappointed with the V200, if it was cheaper it would've been a teriffic amp. I thought it fared slightly better with the HD650 than the LCD-2 for some reason.

May 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #6,157 of 9,207
Quote:

If "tubey-like" means smooth and slightly warm, ok. But it is hard for me to consider it coloured, to my ears is neutral.

May 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #6,158 of 9,207
Quote:
If "tubey-like" means smooth and slightly warm, ok. But it is hard for me to consider it coloured, to my ears is neutral.

If it's slightly warm it cannot be neutral...

May 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #6,159 of 9,207
Quote:

Exactly my thoughts. When I was comparing the A18 to the V200 I noticed that the treble is slightly smoother on the A18 and the A18 being a little more spacious - but the LCD-2 does not benefit that much from it, it was more noticable on the K701 I borrowed; and therefore I can imagine it being a better fit for HD800. I think I read about some people really liking the A18 and HD800 pairing.

Of course they are both neutral to my ears, but perhaps warm for being solid state which often are notorious for being on the cold side. After trying out HA-160, V200, and A18 I feel that the best place to get a really tubey sound is to actually go with a tube amp. Sort of miss my MKIII, when I had it running through my HD650 it sounded so much better than it ever did through the V200 or A18. I can imagine the same for LCD-2 through the MK VI+, WA2, WA6SE etc. But it remains to be heard.

By the way, the built-in amp on the D100 MKII drives the LCD-2 very well. The only noticable difference I can discern (with soundmode 2 on) is that its bass is slightly less detailed and the vocals not as prominent as on the A18. Other than that it is more than sufficent with the LCD-2.

May 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #6,160 of 9,207
I've only listen to the V200 / LCD-2 for a little while, not much time at all maybe all of 3 days.  However, both the headphone and the amp share similar traits.  Both are warm, both highs are sort of rolled off at the top, both have a similar soundstage (smallish), both are colored.  

IMO - not a good match.  Just not what I would like.  

Now the LCD-2 and the Mjolnir really compliment each other very well.  The Mjolinr does every thing it can to bring out whats in the LCD-2.  Same with the BHA-1.  Have not heard the Soloist yet.  However, from others impressions it would seem to be a good fit as well.  

May 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #6,161 of 9,207
Quote:

If it's slightly warm it cannot be neutral...

I also think it has to do with what people percieve as neutral, warm or cold. Some say that DAC1 is cold, others say it's straight-up cold and clinical. V200 or A18 to some may be neutral/natural, or warm to others. Back when I listened to a lot of tube amps the only thing that strikes me when I listen to the V200 and A18 is that they're neutral, detailed, and without a harsh upper-end.

May 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #6,163 of 9,207
I also think it has to do with what people percieve as neutral, warm or cold. Some say that DAC1 is cold, others say it's straight-up cold and clinical. V200 or A18 to some may be neutral/natural, or warm to others. Back when I listened to a lot of tube amps the only thing that strikes me when I listen to the V200 and A18 is that they're neutral, detailed, and without a harsh upper-end.

IMO, what one hear might not be what the other hear. Down to personal preferences too. One may perceive warm as his "neutral" as he prefers it.

May 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #6,164 of 9,207
I guess I'm deaf since O2/G109/V200/Soloist all pretty much sounded the same to me. So they are all warm? Or neutral? Are you guys really talking about the last 5% differences that only some hear/care or have you actually done level matched ABing?

May 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #6,165 of 9,207
Quote:
I guess I'm deaf since O2/G109/V200/Soloist all pretty much sounded the same to me. So they are all warm? Or neutral? Are you guys really talking about the last 5% differences that only some hear/care or have you actually done level matched ABing?

If you didn't hear it, you're either "lucky" and you will not have to have all these concerns, or something else at play in your system such as suboptimal source. I've level matched A/B'ed my V200 and Soloist at home. There is a clear difference, recognisable by non-audiophiles such as wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back