Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #6,121 of 9,207

The Soloist though, is definitely the better overall amp. Soundstage, bass quality, clarity. You can get lost in the music listening to the Soloist. It is more apt for appreciative listening and just relaxing. Though when called upon, it will give you enough to rock out. The Soloist will lay a recording our crystal clear especially if you pair it with a good quality DAC. It can give you a sense of a recording being more spread out or diffused if you like. You can dissect the music and thus hear imperfections and of course, reveal that certain artists or songs you thought you liked were actually quite...meh...Feed the Soloist lossy recordings and it will punish you. Feed it quality stuff and it will not only reward you, it will caress your senses. :p
[/quote]

Just the person to answer my question :smile:. What DAC do you think pairs very well with the Soloist? I have the amp and am pairing it with the Bifrost.
Thanks

May 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #6,122 of 9,207
May 17, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #6,125 of 9,207
Quote:
Hey,
I was thinking of doing the lyr-bitfrost combo and was thinking if there is any other options in this price range. The only one I have in mind is the Lehmann Audio's Linear Amp/Dac.

The Lehmann Linear is a great amp, but the optional dac board isn't that great. A standalone DAC like the Bifrost is likely a better choice.

May 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #6,127 of 9,207
I need help deciding whether to get an SS or tube amp. I've read here that tube/hybrid amps make the phones more musical and lively, but with the disadvantage of hissing noise. SS amps give the phones more clarity but also make them more neutral and dry.

I just recently decided to go all in with LCD2.2's and they arrived yesterday! i don't have an amp or DAC yet, so I plugged them stock into my denon 3313 receiver to see what I'm going to be working with.

I'm considering between the lyr/bifrost combo or burson HA-160D for starters. If you can suggest something better, I'm all for it. My budget for an amp and dac right now is around $1000 total. I'd like to list some pros and cons on the LCD2.2's (stock) so you can steer me in the right direction.

Pros: Transparent, musical, dark sound signature. I like the coloration in mids and especially bass, since I am more of a basshead. The music feels *alive* as opposed
          to neutral, dry, grainy or too analytical.

Cons: Lack of clarity in treble and mids, especially with electric guitar. Sound becomes muddy with more volume. I like to listen at high volume and know I can't without a good amp.      
          Soundstage is a bit more closed than I expected.

If I could have an amp that enhances the pros and helps strengthen the weaknesses (clarifies the muddiness, allows high volume listening, opens up the soundstage, maintains the musicality and the sweet mids and bass), I'll be set. With a $1000 budget, I'm not expecting perfection, just the best value for my preferences. I listen to most if not all genres, but more than anything rock/metal/alternative. Thanks in advance!

May 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #6,128 of 9,207
For tube amp. Little Dot MK VI+, I can't recommend it enough especially when it almost puts all the Woo lineup, up to the WA5 (different story here onwards) to shame in terms of sound performance and great bang for buck. Price is around $850 shipped (or a bit more).

For solid state, I'm going to say Mjonir, b22 or possibly even the Soloist (as others like it) as near end game for the LCD2's at the up to $1k price range. If you change your mind about spending too much on just an amp and want a little remaining for a DAC. Any of the Violectric stuff (V100/200) fits this bill pretty easily as they go for around $750-800.

Although you find this as interest, I've got my modded LCD2's hooked up to a $60 Marantz PM-32 integrated amp with bass/treble dials and I can tell you, in terms of sound this thing puts out I like it more than any of the solid state amp's I've owned (V100/V200, b22)

May 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #6,129 of 9,207
Quote:
For tube amp. Little Dot MK VI+, I can't recommend it enough especially when it almost puts all the Woo lineup, up to the WA5 (different story here onwards) to shame in terms of sound performance and great bang for buck. Price is around $850 shipped (or a bit more).

For solid state, I'm going to say Mjonir, b22 or possibly even the Soloist (as others like it) as near end game for the LCD2's at the up to $1k price range. If you change your mind about spending too much on just an amp and want a little remaining for a DAC. Any of the Violectric stuff (V100/200) fits this bill pretty easily as they go for around $750-800.

Although you find this as interest, I've got my modded LCD2's hooked up to a $60 Marantz PM-32 integrated amp with bass/treble dials and I can tell you, in terms of sound this thing puts out I like it more than any of the solid state amp's I've owned (V100/V200, b22)

I'm getting more and more interested in tubes and I'm currently looking into Little Dot MKVI+

Since you've had the V200, how would you say it compares to the Little Dot?

May 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #6,131 of 9,207
Quote:
It doesn't compare. lol

Could specify? From what I've read it should have great soundstage and bass slam, but according to others it's straight up neutral and not bloomy or warm like the V200 or A18 for example, it's a bit confusing.

May 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #6,132 of 9,207
All I can say is whatever tube's you roll in the VI+ is whatever sound it is going to give. The way it behaves with each tube you roll the sound changes like a chameleon. If you roll Mullards, you're going to get a good low-end, if you roll Tung-Sol 5998's you're going to get boost in soundstage and a sparkle to your treble and mid range while retaining detail, if you roll in some regular RCA or GE's, the sound will be warmer, more bass and will sound slower. Whatever tubes are popular for regarding with there sound, is the sound you're going to get. Not to mention you have to find the best combination to roll them to suit a particular genre you mainly listen to or suit a particular headphone. Tube rolling with this amp get's pretty expensive. 

May 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #6,133 of 9,207
Apparently I heard many complain that the lcd-2 has a generally small soundstage (in width) compared to other open cans. I don't find it so, because I have yet audition it with classical music. Just a warming just in case you are expecting the soundstage to improve in leaps and bounds.

May 18, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #6,134 of 9,207
Quote:
All I can say is whatever tube's you roll in the VI+ is whatever sound it is going to give. The way it behaves with each tube you roll the sound changes like a chameleon. If you roll Mullards, you're going to get a good low-end, if you roll Tung-Sol 5998's you're going to get boost in soundstage and a sparkle to your treble and mid range while retaining detail, if you roll in some regular RCA or GE's, the sound will be warmer, more bass and will sound slower. Whatever tubes are popular for regarding with there sound, is the sound you're going to get. Not to mention you have to find the best combination to roll them to suit a particular genre you mainly listen to or suit a particular headphone. Tube rolling with this amp get's pretty expensive. 

Ah, I thought people were referring to the stock tubes. It will mostly take me time to start rolling on those expensive tubes due to budget limitations, but that's one of the things I like about tube amps is that you can easily tailor the sound signature by changing the tubes rather than replacing the entire amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back