Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #5,371 of 9,207
There are a lot of bands that sound better on the album than they do live...Live crowds can also take away from the live recordings, too. 

There are a ton of good reasons as to why someone would prefer listening at home than at a concert. Noise levels is a pretty good reason, too. Why pay $30 for a ticket to see a band just to have to muffle your sound with ear plugs (or risk deafness)?

Quote:
??????????????????????????????????????????????.........REEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeally?  Did you say that listening to your headphones is better than a live show?  That's like saying that looking at a Van Gogh through a calibrated monitor is better than seeing it in person with your own eyes.  That's like saying virtual sex is better than the feeling of.... uh....You need to get out, bro. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #5,372 of 9,207
Live concerts, whether orchestral or contemporary music continue to be successful because it gives you something headphones cant. Every one should go to a live concert at least once a year.:)

While live concerts wont give you the technicalities and micro detail our hobby gives, it does give you a lot that headphones won't. The adrenaline rush of cheering for your fav artists with thousands of fellow fans, the physical and emotional experience of feeling the music live with no cables and tethers. You get to see the performance itself with your own two eyes so the immersion is better(at least for me).

And seeing music performed live will help you appreciate the music more when you listen on your rig at home.

My two cents anyway.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #5,373 of 9,207
I think we're straying from the point here. Some may prefer watching movies at home in their fave armchair and 40 inch plasma rather than going to the cinema. Or even visiting an art gallery online from the comfort of their bed... 

But from a pure audio perspective...

If I could have say Julian lloyd Webber playing the Bach Cello suites in my living room (or a good concert hall) or listen to any other recording in my headphones, I know which one I'd choose. The real thing.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #5,374 of 9,207
There are a lot of bands that sound better on the album than they do live...Live crowds can also take away from the live recordings, too. 

There are a ton of good reasons as to why someone would prefer listening at home than at a concert. Noise levels is a pretty good reason, too. Why pay $30 for a ticket to see a band just to have to muffle your sound with ear plugs (or risk deafness)?

I don't watch "bands", I listen to symphony orchestras and chamber music or piano recitals, etc...where the are no "crowds", just people who silently take in the magic that no headphone can do real justice to.

But, this is something a hipster could never in a lifetime understand.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #5,375 of 9,207
Quote:
I don't watch "bands", I listen to symphony orchestras and chamber music or piano recitals, etc...where the are no "crowds", just people who silently take in the magic that no headphone can do real justice to.

You're not an ass-hole or anything. No, you kinda are. But not really.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #5,376 of 9,207
Quote:
You're not an ass-hole or anything. No, you kinda are. But not really.

I agree with him that live (orchestral) performances can't be matched by any headphone, but you're right. He's being an ass-hole. Maybe.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #5,377 of 9,207
I enjoy a live event (Classical, Rock concert, whatever...) It helps me recalibrate.....me....Plus each are their own reward and circumstance. I love HP's and all my gear, but live stuff still has "Event" status for me....I have a great home theater as well, but I still like going to the movies. Different things entirely as I see it.

YMMV....
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #5,378 of 9,207
Quote:

I only listen to music sent back in time, as music tainted by being heard after it's been made is not pure enough for my ears.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #5,379 of 9,207
They used to record concerts straight to disc, but it was was flawed even with the best performers and concert hall. I think you can digitally record and mix a live performance in a studio on the best equipment with no audience in a controlled situation, then put that on a disc and it will be better sound than live. That's what I meant. Most concerts you go to you don't get the same quality of instruments and microphones they use in a studio.
As far sex and paintings go; looking at a painting for hours in a museum without interruption would be impossible; and sex can be better in my mind than in real life at least 20% of the time (give or take a few percent). In a perfect world we can do everything digitally, though I know it's not possible. Don't worry about me not getting out, I go out all the time
evil_smiley.gif
and uh oh that too.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #5,380 of 9,207
Quote:
They used to record concerts straight to disc, but it was was flawed even with the best performers and concert hall. I think you can digitally record and mix a live performance in a studio on the best equipment with no audience in a controlled situation, then put that on a disc and it will be better sound than live. That's what I meant. Most concerts you go to you don't get the same quality of instruments and microphones they use in a studio.
As far sex and paintings go; looking at a painting for hours in a museum without interruption would be impossible; and sex can be better in my mind than in real life at least 20% of the time (give or take a few percent). In a perfect world we can do everything digitally, though I know it's not possible. Don't worry about me not getting out, I go out all the time
evil_smiley.gif
and uh oh that too.

Yup I'll go with that. Infact I'd knock it up to 80% (been married quite a few years) Actually while we're being honest, I'd rather take my computer to bed these days.... A lot less mess.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #5,381 of 9,207
blink.gif
Quote:
Yup I'll go with that. Infact I'd knock it up to 80% (been married quite a few years) Actually while we're being honest, I'd rather take my computer to bed these days.... A lot less mess.

You mean more. 
eek.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #5,383 of 9,207
another proof for the Jellybean theory.....

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #5,384 of 9,207
Erm.. I'm thinking about getting a new amp for me LCD2's. Has anyone got any recommendations?
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #5,385 of 9,207
Quote:

I definitely agree that "concert halls are typically poor places for listening to music", and moreover will add that concert halls are really bad for listening to classical music. Of course, most live classical music is performed in concert halls, so it's also inescapable. I feel sorry for anyone who listens to classical music who's only heard it live in a concert hall, and thinks that's how headphones should present the music - as in, that "sitting away from the orchestra in a concert hall" kind of thinking. Because more than likely, in most classical recording sessions, the microphones are literally placed over the orchestra (suspended from the ceiling), or really close around it on stands. It's actually more accurate to not have a fake soundstage imposed on the music (I'm looking at you HD800!).

I have a bias here, as I've been able to play in orchestras before and know how close the entire orchestra can sound relative to the first-violin section (really close!). I view headphones that capture the sense of the orchestra as a massive entity virtually surrounding you to be more accurate than those that don't - and a headphone that puts you in the conductor's spot is even better, because that gives you the best "view" of the orchestra, aurally speaking. The entire orchestra up-close is something most people don't get to hear, which is too bad, because it's awesome-sounding.
smile.gif

Concert halls are so bad for listening to classical that I'd actually recommend that folks listen to a recording on headphones, or speakers as the case might be. Listening at home conveys more accuracy than buying expensive tickets to see any orchestra, regardless of how talented it is. Not that I'm discounting seeing the talent of live musicians - just that the acoustics/imaging and frequency balance will tend to be more accurate through a recording and listening at home.

Polar opposite here,

No classical recording whatsoever of any vintage or recording technique comes even close to the sound of the Boston Symphony Orchestra live.

It ain't about no fancy 3D soundstaging, it's all about this intangible, very real, very honest, very organic, very beautiful presence that a live orchestra has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back