Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5,086 of 9,207
I am very interested to know how to widen LCD-2's soundstage. What amp/DAC/tubes/etc?

I have had the most success with my Woo Audio WA22 with 7236 power tubes, Shuguang Treasure CV181 drivers, and either a Sophia Princess 274B or a USAF 596 rectifier. And a balanced source along with balanced headphone cable. I was using a Matrix Mini-i, now a Schiit Gungnir.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #5,087 of 9,207
Welcome to head-fi. It is customary to add "sorry for your wallet"!

I'm not familiar with the Yulong. However, I can comment on the Meier Concerto and Classic amps with LCD2. Most recently I have used them with Eastern Electric, Meier and Schiit (Bifrost) DACs.

I rate both amps as very good. However, they sound quite different to my ears.

The Concerto has great 'attack' or 'speed', most easily noticed with sudden, sharp, loud sounds. Examples are the forceful, fast strum of a guitar or plucking a string. They come over with sharp, clearly defined edges. Against this, the Concerto is 'dry'. Notes decay more quickly than I think is natural. Harmonics, resonance and reverberation similarly decay fast. On the plus side this gives the Concerto considerable clarity. Changing instrumental textures separate well. It's an analytical and detailed, yet still musical amp with the LCD2.

The Classic has softer attack and natural decay. Notes 'hang' (fade gradually and normally) as they should. Bass seems more present, yet still balanced, lending instruments more 'body' than the Concerto. Soundstage - not something I normally notice with headphones - is very good, well extended in width and somewhat so in depth, with well-focused images (you can sense the 'location' and space of each instrument and its space well).

As you have heard the Classic, this may give you some idea of the Concerto's sound - although I must warn you your ears and brain may hear quite differently from mine. If you don't relate to my description of the Classic, it would be wise to ignore my comments about Concerto!!

Btw, the Classic is more apparently powerful than its 3dB or so power advantage over the Concerto suggests. This is, or may be, because of higher gain and differences in Jan Meier's implementation of his ingenious volume control.

Finally, whether these or any other amp will "substantially enhance what [you are] hearing now" depends how your listening and tastes develop. Equipment changes what we like (we tend to favor tracks that sound better with our equipment, for example!); and to some degree what we eventually come to miss.

All this is for you to find out for yourself, generally an interesting and rewarding experience.
Quote:
Now that you know the background, here are my questions:

2) If the D100 plus Corda Classic idea is OK to go ahead with - then what about getting the Corda Concerto? From the specs both looks the same with the Classic having marginally more power. The reason to ask this question is obviously because the Concerto (500USD) is now cheaper than its  successor Classic (800USD). Anybody has any input on the performance of the Concerto compared to the Classic?

I want the sound signature of the LCD2 to remain unchanged.

Any help will be highly appreciated

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #5,088 of 9,207
Thanks a lot, Aidee, for your response. Thanks for taking the time out to describe the characteristics of the 2 in such great "picturesque" detail. Wow ! 
I agree with your description of the Classic's sound-character. I felt it to be exactly how you described - ofcourse you explained it in a far far better way than I ever could. My inexperience with good amps did not let me understand well the finer nuances of tonal decay as you described .......I am training my ears :)
However, I remember what really struck me while listening to the Classic was the depth and width of the sound stage (as you described) and the naturalness of the music (perhaps this is what you  explained).

(And finally .... the last couple of sentences in your response would surely be a guiding light in my head-fi journey) "Equipment changes what we like - and to some degree what we come to miss" .... WOW....  deep ...philosophical...enlightening

Thanks again.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #5,089 of 9,207
After scrounging enough together to finally take the plunge on the Audeze LCD-2, I'm now slightly skeptical of the amp I'll be pairing them with.  I've been happy with a HeadAmp GS-1 for many years now, but it outputs 1W, where from what I gather it takes 2W to get the LCD-2 to sound as they should...  Will the GS-1 suffice, or should I hold off on my LCD-2 purchase until I can afford another amp (comparable in quality...LOVE my GS-1...) that outputs more power?

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #5,090 of 9,207
Quote:
After scrounging enough together to finally take the plunge on the Audeze LCD-2, I'm now slightly skeptical of the amp I'll be pairing them with.  I've been happy with a HeadAmp GS-1 for many years now, but it outputs 1W, where from what I gather it takes 2W to get the LCD-2 to sound as they should...  Will the GS-1 suffice, or should I hold off on my LCD-2 purchase until I can afford another amp (comparable in quality...LOVE my GS-1...) that outputs more power?

GS-1 is fine. Have you thought about upgrading to the new modules?

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #5,091 of 9,207
Quote:

Yeah - the current GS-1 is just fine.  However, there have been a few new amps that has come out recently with more power.  The BHA-1, the Soloist, and the Mjolnir.  Also the new GS-1 modules are available as well.  You have a lot to choose from.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #5,092 of 9,207
Quote:

I have lcd-2 v2s and I have heard the bryston BHA-1 balanced amp but only in single ended fashion at one of the local audio salons in my area.I listened for about two hours with cds that I brought with me and I have to say that I liked what I heard.The lcd-2 tends to sound a little warm in general with any of the amps I have heard them with, but the bryston really tightens them up and makes them sound more neutral in general ( keep in mind I heard them in only single-ended fashion ). I also have to comment about the brystons bass it was just spectacular with the lcd-2 tremendously powerful and the sound had much greater dynamics than I have ever heard with my lcd-2 before.Of course I have only heard the lcd-2s with my burson ha-160 and ray samuels otl raptor headphone amps.But the burson does work pretty well with them.
 The new burson soolist might be a good option though I have not heard it. It apparently has a simllar balance to the ha-160 in sound quality but because of the steamlined circuit path with less components it has better sound from what I have read on head-fi.Of course the power is at least double that of my ha-160 amp which can not hurt.The burson is also priced less than a thousand dollars if the budget is limited.
 You may want to check it out.
  But the bryston may sound a lot better in balanced mode and would have much more substantial drive than what I heard in single-ended fashion.The only experience I have had with headphones driven in balanced fashion was with a stax electostatic 4040 setup that I used to own with a theta pro basic lll dac that I used with it in balanced fashion on the stax tube amp I was using.The sound was a lot more dramatic sounding in balanced drive on that set-up which was my preferred choice at the time.
  So you may want to check out the bryston balanced amp if you can audition it somewhere.Bryston is a canadian company.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #5,093 of 9,207
Quote:
I have lcd-2 v2s and I have heard the bryston BHA-1 balanced amp but only in single ended fashion at one of the local audio salons in my area.I listened for about two hours with cds that I brought with me and I have to say that I liked what I heard.The lcd-2 tends to sound a little warm in general with any of the amps I have heard them with, but the bryston really tightens them up and makes them sound more neutral in general ( keep in mind I heard them in only single-ended fashion ). I also have to comment about the brystons bass it was just spectacular with the lcd-2 tremendously powerful and the sound had much greater dynamics than I have ever heard with my lcd-2 before.Of course I have only heard the lcd-2s with my burson ha-160 and ray samuels otl raptor headphone amps.But the burson does work pretty well with them.
 The new burson soolist might be a good option though I have not heard it. It apparently has a simllar balance to the ha-160 in sound quality but because of the steamlined circuit path with less components it has better sound from what I have read on head-fi.Of course the power is at least double that of my ha-160 amp which can not hurt.The burson is also priced less than a thousand dollars if the budget is limited.

I totally agree with your finding on the LCD-2 / BHA-1 combo.  However, IMO the SE output sucks compared to the balanced ouput.  Wait until you hear the LCD-2s with the balanced output - oh boy..

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #5,094 of 9,207
Quote:

I totally agree with your finding on the LCD-2 / BHA-1 combo.  However, IMO the SE output sucks compared to the balanced ouput.  Wait until you hear the LCD-2s with the balanced output - oh boy..

X2.

I have my BHA-1 paired with my LCD-2r2 in balanced mode since june. Simply WOW!

Even after five months I am still awe with this level of performance and synergy. And so are the few peoples with high-end headphone kit experience who listened to this pairing.

And for the single-ended vs balanced output...absolutly no comparaison. Buson 160 man, If you liked alot what you heard in SE, prepare yourself to be litterally blown away in balanced. NO JOKE.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #5,095 of 9,207
Unfortunately auditioning equipment is pretty much impossible where I come from.  I'm already buying the LCD-2 sight unseen (or unheard, rather).  It's nice to know this hobby hasn't stopped growing and evolving, but I've been pretty happy with my Stello DA100 > GS-1 > HD650 combo for years now.  I've recently gotten the urge to get back in the game and am looking to upgrade my setup, and the LCD-2 look to be right up my alley in terms of supplying the sonic signature I'm after.

That BHA-1 looks/sounds mighty tempting, but should I go down the balanced route I'd no doubt want/need to upgrade my DAC too (?).  Too much moneys at this point, sadly (barely enough for the LCD-2 and a portable rig I'm planning on putting together, as is, though I COULD perhaps scrap the portable idea and stretch my budget.  Though a new amp/dac/cabling seems to be pushing it for me, currently.  Plus I'd like to upgrade, not side-step, from my current setup, which doesn't seem feasible, financially, right now).

I'm hopeful about the new GS-1 modules, but I wonder how much improvement will be seen given they're optimized for the larger power supplies the housed in the new GS-X.  If anything, given how much I love my GS-1 it'd be the GS-X I'd love to save up for one day...

Anyway, just to clarify, you fellas are pretty confident in the GS-1 / LCD-2 pairing?

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #5,096 of 9,207
Quote:
you fellas are pretty confident in the GS-1 / LCD-2 pairing?

Yes,

Very confident.  That is a good pairing as well, very good.  You have nothing to worry about.  It may be even better with the new modules - more power to the LCD-2.2s is a good thing.  I loved the GS-1 when I had it.  Now waiting the new GS-X - can't wait.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #5,097 of 9,207
Quote:
Unfortunately auditioning equipment is pretty much impossible where I come from.  I'm already buying the LCD-2 sight unseen (or unheard, rather).  It's nice to know this hobby hasn't stopped growing and evolving, but I've been pretty happy with my Stello DA100 > GS-1 > HD650 combo for years now.  I've recently gotten the urge to get back in the game and am looking to upgrade my setup, and the LCD-2 look to be right up my alley in terms of supplying the sonic signature I'm after.

That BHA-1 looks/sounds mighty tempting, but should I go down the balanced route I'd no doubt want/need to upgrade my DAC too (?).  Too much moneys at this point, sadly (barely enough for the LCD-2 and a portable rig I'm planning on putting together, as is, though I COULD perhaps scrap the portable idea and stretch my budget.  Though a new amp/dac/cabling seems to be pushing it for me, currently.  Plus I'd like to upgrade, not side-step, from my current setup, which doesn't seem feasible, financially, right now).

I'm hopeful about the new GS-1 modules, but I wonder how much improvement will be seen given they're optimized for the larger power supplies the housed in the new GS-X.  If anything, given how much I love my GS-1 it'd be the GS-X I'd love to save up for one day...

Anyway, just to clarify, you fellas are pretty confident in the GS-1 / LCD-2 pairing?

I use it, holding on to the last GS-1 w/ the upgraded modules (with the LCD-3) and it works very well.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #5,098 of 9,207
Nov 7, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #5,099 of 9,207
Hi,
Did anyone here own or heard both the Schiit Lyr and ALO Pan Am? I really need a comparison between the two
smile.gif
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back