Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Oct 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #5,057 of 9,207
I'm not remotely an EE but the math for this is simple given certain assumptions.

Here's the basic formula for power in terms of volts and resistance/impedance:

(1) P = V*V/R

where P in Watts, V in volts, R in ohms.

Assumptions
Being a hybrid, there's no transformer to complicate the transfer function (*).
Because it drives 6-8 ohm speakers, there will be no problem delivering the current an orthodynamic craves either - so this will not limit achievable power.
It's not stated but I assume power figures are rms, not that this affects the calculations.

Ok; we have 12 watts into "6-8" ohms. This gives us P and R; we need V*V.

Rearranging (1), PR = V*V or 

(2) V*V = PR

Let's be generous and take the higher ohms figure, then V*V = 12 * 8 = 96.

Now applying the LCD2.2 (60 ohms) to formula (1) we get:

P = 96/60 = 1.6 W, or "about around 1.5W" just as Grokit said.

Note the LCD3 (50 ohms IIRC) gets 1.92W.

Btw, a nice looking amp.

(*) c.f. Decware Taboo, which delivers 6W into 8 ohms but comes out in the 2-3W range 50 ohms because - an EE explained to me - its tranny produces a higher effective output impedance.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #5,058 of 9,207
Yah the WA7 is a sexy beast too. Ive had a WA6 which was impressive. Its just that something about japanese things that gets me going :D

Ill have to wait and see further details on the WA7 and when Jack plans to release it.

edit: i also like being a little unconvetional so that amp really appeals to me.
Quote:
Have you considered the new Woo WA7? It has a built in DAC, and is less expensive with the introductory price. Aesthetically it's another beautiful (in a different way) two-tube amp and comes in silver or black. And it's a headphone amp, made in the USA.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #5,059 of 9,207
Thanks aidee. I thought without knowing the voltage we cant calculate just like that.
I remember when I calculate with or without knowing the V, I get different result, because most amps are constant V and not constant current, but I will check my calculation again.

Btw, I think both lcd2 and 3 are 50 ohms.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #5,060 of 9,207
Redbull - I could easily be wrong! 

You are right - LCD2 rev 1 and LCD3 are 50 ohms; but IIRC LCD2 rev 2 is 60.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #5,061 of 9,207
I just went with 60 ohms because I was crunching the numbers in my head and felt that was close enough.

I didn't realize the rev.2 was actually 60 ohms though, that's interesting as I have felt for awhile now that the rev.1 is closer to the LCD3 than the rev.2 is signature-wise. Just from reading impressions over the years though, I have had had two rev.1s and have heard no other Audeze.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #5,063 of 9,207
I have an NFB-12 right now and I keep getting told by Scootermafia (DHC Cables) that it's holding my setup way back...

How true is this statement considering I'm not super blown-away by them as it is? The DAC section on the NFB-12 should be good enough though right?

Keep in mind I'm pretty stingy so INB4 Violectric V200 lol.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #5,064 of 9,207
Does anyone has an idea of the match of "stello" dac vs "v200"? With lcd2v2 of course thanks :)

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #5,066 of 9,207
Quote:
Just got a fine pair of Rev. 1's and I'm awaiting my Burson HA-160D, let's hope I enjoy it. Just sold my MF X-Can V8 (only reference so far).

Did you try the LCD's with the MF V8? just wondered what it was like with orthos

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #5,068 of 9,207
I've been meaning to dig up one of my stock cables to try my rev.1 with an original Xcan/PSU. It's a little sharp up top with the HD600 so I think it could be a good match.

It may not be the amp causing the sharpness, I'm using a Bel Canto DAC2 to complete the vintage equation so I need to check that out too.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #5,069 of 9,207
Quote:
I've been meaning to dig up one of my stock cables to try my rev.1 with an original Xcan/PSU. It's a little sharp up top with the HD600 so I think it could be a good match.
It may not be the amp causing the sharpness, I'm using a Bel Canto DAC2 to complete the vintage equation so I need to check that out too.

I wish I could have kept my Xcan v3 to try with them, it was bright and had great soundstage, please share some impressions if you do thanks

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #5,070 of 9,207
I am very interested to know how to widen LCD-2's soundstage. What amp/DAC/tubes/etc?

Quote:
Going from one watt or less to two watts with the LCD-2 is like going from night to day, judging from experimentation with the various power tube options in my WA22. But one you reach that power threshold the LCD-2 doesn't really ramp up with additional power. This is from trying them on my HE-6/K1000 speaker amp rig. Once you hit two watts with the LCD-2, it's all about refinement and personal sound signature preference. Once it has adequate power the LCD-2 is incredibly capable of reflecting changes in the source, the amplifier's sound signature, the quality of the recording, various cabling options, tube-rolling, etc. You can accentuate the LCD-2's signature warm sound, you can make them more neutral, you can widen their soundstage, or you can brighten them up by exploring these various options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back