Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #3,931 of 9,207

Quote:

All,

The Audeze Edition Systems are now shipping (yes, we finally have the custom travel cases in stock!).

The Isabellina HPA (singled-ended or balanced versions) are now shipping.

Hi olor1n,

The Corvina should being to ship at the end of this month.  We'll post more about pre-ordering on our forum and Facebook page soon.

Best regards,

Vinnie

I forgot to post more details from the RWA forum: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98263.0

Getting close!

Hope to see many of you at RMAF!

Cheers,

Vinnie

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3,932 of 9,207
Vinnie will there be a loaner program for the Corvina? 
L3000.gif
   If so please put me on top of the list. Would love to post a review of it.   
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #3,935 of 9,207
Lookout y'all, looks like there's a new kid on the block.  I was fortunate to be able to attend a local meet hosted by 32 Ohm / ALO audio today.  There were an abundance of Audeze LCD-2s there and lots of amplifiers.  The Cavali Liquid Fire was there, and sounded outstanding as expected.  One outstanding source was a beautiful Marantz SA-7S1 heavily modified/customized by Jena Labs and fully interconnected with all Jena Labs interconnects and power cables & conditioning.  The LCD-2s were sporting a Jena Labs cable as well.  Sweet tunes to say the least.  

The new kid on the block I mentioned earlier appeared to be an all tube head amp, sporting 6SN7's on the input, appeared to have transformer coupled outputs, and used a tube based rectifier in its very substantial power supply.  I don't even know what this thing was called, but I've never heard the LCD-2's image better.  The amp was being fed by a modest, but excellent MHDT Paradisea 3 DAC, fed by a MacBook Pro via USB.  I was so amazed by the sound, I forgot to take a picture.  Look for more info to come from ALO.

Oh, almost forgot...

There were also many HD-800's on hand and I have NEVER heard the HD-800 sound better than it did out of that new mystery amp.  Totally outstanding!

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #3,937 of 9,207
Sep 19, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #3,938 of 9,207

Hi all !

I've read a lot on this thread since I bought my LCD2, and decided to go with the Lyr. I still have the stock tubes, tried the E188CC (RTC) and heard no differences, and now ordered a pair of GE 6BZ7. I hope I will hear some changes.

Though, I had the opportunity to test the Burson HA 160 (with my Benchmark DAC1), and even if the differences were subtle, it seemed to have a little more dynamic (maybe due to the SS sound) and detail than the Lyr with stock tubes. Concerning the power, both are equally driving the LCD2 with the same ease, when the Lyr is said to be a monster with its 6W.

Now I have two more opportunities : a SPL Auditor and a Audio GD Phoenix, both at a relatively good price (550$ for the SPL, 1000$ for the Phoenix).

My questions :

1. Do you consider the Phoenix or the Auditor as a real upgrade (compared to the Lyr) with the LCD2 ? Or should I stick with the Lyr and try to find the right tubes to get the maximum of it ?

2. Would I get a significant upgrade with a balanced setting (Macbook Pro >> M2Tech Hiface >> Benchmark DAC1 >> Phoenix for example >> LCD2, all in XLR) rather than the one I already have ? (Hiface >> DAC1 >> Lyr with RCA)

Thanks a lot for your help 
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #3,939 of 9,207

Hi all !

I've read a lot on this thread since I bought my LCD2, and decided to go with the Lyr. I still have the stock tubes, tried the E188CC (RTC) and heard no differences, and now ordered a pair of GE 6BZ7. I hope I will hear some changes.

Though, I had the opportunity to test the Burson HA 160 (with my Benchmark DAC1), and even if the differences were subtle, it seemed to have a little more dynamic (maybe due to the SS sound) and detail than the Lyr with stock tubes. Concerning the power, both are equally driving the LCD2 with the same ease, when the Lyr is said to be a monster with its 6W.

Now I have two more opportunities : a SPL Auditor and a Audio GD Phoenix, both at a relatively good price (550$ for the SPL, 1000$ for the Phoenix).

My questions :

1. Do you consider the Phoenix or the Auditor as a real upgrade (compared to the Lyr) with the LCD2 ? Or should I stick with the Lyr and try to find the right tubes to get the maximum of it ?

2. Would I get a significant upgrade with a balanced setting (Macbook Pro >> M2Tech Hiface >> Benchmark DAC1 >> Phoenix for example >> LCD2, all in XLR) rather than the one I already have ? (Hiface >> DAC1 >> Lyr with RCA)

Thanks a lot for your help 
wink.gif

Actually, I would consider Benchmark DAC1 directly into the LDC-2 an upgrade :)
Have you tried this combinations yet?

The Benchmark unit has also a very good jitter rejection stage, has you tried to use a toslink cable and plug it directly into the MBP? It should yield the same result as with the Hiface.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #3,941 of 9,207

Quote:
Actually, I would consider Benchmark DAC1 directly into the LDC-2 an upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you tried this combinations yet?

The Benchmark unit has also a very good jitter rejection stage, has you tried to use a toslink cable and plug it directly into the MBP? It should yield the same result as with the Hiface.

As a counterpoint to this suggestion, I found the Benchmark DAC1 virtually unlistenable on two separate lengthy auditions in two different versions, the latest being when they implemented USB.  I tried it in several different systems both times and found the stridency in the highs and unnatural sounds that came from it very unappealing.  I even went so far as to do blind tests with a friend against two other DACs with 100% accuracy in picking out the Benchmark each and every time.  That said, many folks love it.  Go figure.  Just my .02 cents.  I've never tried it direct into any headphones though, but can't imagine that would help matters in my particular case. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #3,942 of 9,207
As a counterpoint to this suggestion, I found the Benchmark DAC1 virtually unlistenable on two separate lengthy auditions in two different versions, the latest being when they implemented USB.  I tried it in several different systems both times and found the stridency in the highs and unnatural sounds that came from it very unappealing.  I even went so far as to do blind tests with a friend against two other DACs with 100% accuracy in picking out the Benchmark each and every time.  That said, many folks love it.  Go figure.  Just my .02 cents.  I've never tried it direct into any headphones though, but can't imagine that would help matters in my particular case. 

Parpadello already uses a Benchmark into his Schitt amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back