Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 2, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3,451 of 9,207
If you could pour $2.8k into an amp, I don't think the extra $450 it costs now would stop you. 

The idea of getting a LF keeps spinning in the back of my head, though the "The Liquid Fire Headphone Amplifier is just the first of what Cavalli Audio has planned for top notch audio products." is a little frightening. Imagine spending 3k on an amp, and something better comes out right after.

Quote:
If I had $3k to spend on an amp for the LCD-2 I would try out a Liquid Fire while they are still "only" $2800.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #3,452 of 9,207

Quote:
If you could pour $2.8k into an amp, I don't think the extra $450 it costs now would stop you. 

The idea of getting a LF keeps spinning in the back of my head, though the "The Liquid Fire Headphone Amplifier is just the first of what Cavalli Audio has planned for top notch audio products." is a little frightening. Imagine spending 3k on an amp, and something better comes out right after.

I know what you mean..... bought a BA fully loaded and then the Pinnacle comes out.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #3,453 of 9,207
After several listens of a variety of material, I have come to the conclusion that the LCD-2's have to be the most forgiving headphone made.

I have been back and forth between the Lyr, Mini-I and the Fiio E9/E7 combo, and I am hard pressed to pick a favourite. With other headphones, no problem.......HD800 Lyr wins......Grado HF-2 Mini-I wins.

I don't have a golden ear by any measure, but I love the Audez'e no matter what amplification I use, and feel the full range and dynamics are reproduced without much compromise.

Now I'm torn, because I'm shopping for something solid state to go with my on order LA7000's, and I am wondering if I need it?

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #3,454 of 9,207

Quote:

Those were my exact thoughts when the Cavalli Audio website has this ad that says: Coming Soon. In the Fall... eek! A Cliffhanger!

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #3,455 of 9,207
one can live their whole life waiting for the next best thing being afraid that something better is going to take its place.

And am not even saying that might be the case here..at least i don't think so.

The LF is a cracker of an amplifier. it COULD be the amp that does it for you, or maybe not.

Give it a listen if you get a chance. :) 

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #3,456 of 9,207

Quote:
one can live their whole life waiting for the next best thing being afraid that something better is going to take its place.

And am not even saying that might be the case here..at least i don't think so.

The LF is a cracker of an amplifier. it COULD be the amp that does it for you, or maybe not.

Give it a listen if you get a chance. :) 

Well said!

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #3,457 of 9,207
I've had the chance to try the Apex Peak/Volcano fitted with the Shuguang Treasure Tube yesterday. Truthfully I don't think it's a best match for the LCD2, the midbass is slightly TOO exaggerated so overall the lower frequencies sound a bit loose and undefined while the upper midrange is a bit etched so vocals may sound a little harsh. On the plus side, the amplifier has a great clarity  and it sounds more solid-state than tube. Overall the Peak/Volcano reminds me of a super-charged Pete Millet's Starving Student Millet Hybrid. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #3,458 of 9,207
Shuguang Treasure Tube, probably isn't the best match for the LCD-2.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #3,459 of 9,207
I agree with the comment about not always waiting for the next new greatest to come out ... You would probably not be that happy having spent $3k on an amp and then seeing what the Schiit statement amp does for 1/3 of the price.

That would leave enough change to buy some JH iems and a pair of LCD2.2. Hmmmm

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #3,460 of 9,207

Quote:
I agree with the comment about not always waiting for the next new greatest to come out ... You would probably not be that happy having spent $3k on an amp and then seeing what the Schiit statement amp does for 1/3 of the price.

That would leave enough change to buy some JH iems and a pair of LCD2.2. Hmmmm

well said too 
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #3,461 of 9,207
I think latest release is not always the best.  When HD800 is released, I thought I would like the newer one better than the old HD650 that I like, but my ears prefer the older one, so don't be afraid ...

Well said? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #3,462 of 9,207
I'm not necessarily after the latest and greatest, probably more so a tried and true amp to match the LCD-2's. I'll really have to find somewhere I can try out some different types of sound to see what my ears like. I'm from Australia so if anyone here is around the Central Coast, NSW and can help me out I'd be very greatful. There's no high end audio shops around here so it's a bit hard to get started not knowing what I like.

Would the Apex Peak be the best solution for me since it's neutral and if I change the tube I chane the sound? Does it have to be paired with the Volcano?

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #3,463 of 9,207

Quote:

And that is what the used gear market is all about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back