Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #3,436 of 9,207

Quote:
I think the Leben CS300XS, Decware Mini-Torii, and Trafomatic Head One are all marginally better with the LCD-2 than my Pioneer or Sansui receivers.  But only marginally.  And of those only the Mini Torii really drives the HE-6 well, whereas both of the vintage receivers do.

This is a truth I'm beginning to realize.  The designers of the vintage stuff in the 70's were serious guys.  They made that gear for real listening and not for the primary concern of outselling the competition. I believe for them it was a pride in design and engineering and it has made the vintage gear able to rise to the challenge.      My Sansui AU 505 is beginning to scare me.  I definitely want to get one of the higher models in the Sansui integrated line up now and when I do I hope I'm not afraid to face the truth I might hear.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #3,437 of 9,207
Recordings are not set in stone.  When they are remastered and often remixed in the process of remastering the recording changes.  Even the application of EQ afterwards changes the recording.   It is the performance that does not change.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #3,438 of 9,207

Quote:
Recordings are not set in stone.  When they are remastered and often remixed in the process of remastering the recording changes.  Even the application of EQ afterwards changes the recording.   It is the performance that does not change.

The recording does not change at all when you apply EQ.  The only thing that changes is how it becomes altered via a component in the chain (which is indeed entirely variable), and perceived by the listener in the end.  The recording is not a variable.  It is like a table.  It is exactly what it is.  Though you might view a table with rose colored glasses, the table itself does not change.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #3,439 of 9,207

Quote:

Also, I mentioned remixing and remastering as the only way it could possibly change.  Assuming we are comparing the same recording on the same media, it is fixed and not a variable - therefore I dismiss it as a link in the chain.  If a remastered version of something is available then it becomes a variable in that you could choose another version, but again, assuming we're talking about the same recording and the same media, it is as fixed as a white coffee table in form and structure.  It will not change.  The only thing that will change is the way components in a chain interpret it and convert it into sound.  If we are listening with speakers in a room, then the room and everything in it would also be a variable, and a very weak link, IMO.  The recording remains exactly the same. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #3,440 of 9,207

Quote:
It is the performance that does not change.

Yes, I'd agree, the performance is also fixed in some respects.  Notes, timing, tempo, blah, blah, blah - it all happened a specific way.  How it is pereceived is an entirely different story.  Did one experience the performance at 10 feet, 20 feet, 40 feet?  In what room, with what in it?  Where you to the left or to the right?  What was between you and the performers? Or between the performers and the mike? Which mikes were used and how many? Hell, you know better than me there are infinite variables in either how we experience the performance, or how it is interpreted by the mike, recorded and then mixed.  But yes, the performances is fixed once it has happened.  Just like the recording we place in our player, or on our turntable is entirely fixed in its form.  We can't go backwards and change its content somehow once it is in our home. It is entirely set in stone and most certainly not a variable as far as immediately using it to listen to music.  Everything we use to translate it's content is a variable, but it remains exactly what it is, and will not change unless we physically damage it or alter it. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #3,441 of 9,207

Quote:
That's because there is so much stuff that is not well recorded or mixed well.  Recordings are the weakest link in all this.

Sounds like maybe I didn't make myself clear.  I DO NOT USE EQ for 99% of my recording playback, as I too, would prefer to hear what the producers intended things to sound like.  For only 1% of my stuff I will use EQ.

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #3,442 of 9,207

Quote:
There was someone that has tried some software or plug in that simulates the speaker like presentation for headphones u can get a trial and then you have to pay etc .
Will have to look that up again...its a plug in that needs VPN support but seems like a poor mans Phonitor...ala software.

The AU plugins that come with Pure Music are all free from Apple, the one called MatrixReverb has a bunch of preset room simulations, like chamber, hall, and room, all in S/M/L variations plus cathedral and something called plate.

Quote:
Sounds like maybe I didn't make myself clear.  I DO NOT USE EQ for 99% of my recording playback, as I too, would prefer to hear what the producers intended things to sound like.  For only 1% of my stuff I will use EQ.

I hear you loud and clear
smile.gif

I could probably benefit from EQ on a small portion of the music that I listen to as well but I still don't, as I am evidently a lazy masochist
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #3,443 of 9,207

Quote:
I mostly use my LCD-2's these days with this vintage beauty:

Completely re-capped/restored Sansui 9090DB, which is a very powerful vintage 70's receiver.  The sound from the LCD-2 from this Sansui is remarkably good - so good I prefer it over several dedicated headphone amps selling for more than $1K...

SkyLab what have you done!   The price of a Sansui 9090DB on eBay has SKY ROCKETED!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually one just sold that looks like it was a steal for the price. 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250861815089&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4768wt_1165

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #3,445 of 9,207

Quote:

What I appreciate is having headphone amp that also is dedicated pre-amp, as all I have to do is add a power amp to my system and it becomes a speaker rig. 

That's pretty much exactly what I'm after. Now can anyone suggest a good pre-amp for the LCD-2's under $3000? Thanks

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #3,446 of 9,207

Quote:
That's pretty much exactly what I'm after. Now can anyone suggest a good pre-amp for the LCD-2's under $3000? Thanks

There are plenty. You want a tube based amp or solid state? I use the RSA Apache and it's a great pre-amp as well with multiple balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs for both headphone and pre-amp.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #3,447 of 9,207
That's just it. I have no idea if I want a solid state, tube or hybrid. I've heard nothing other than standard headphones so I have nothing to go off. I just want an amp that works best with the LCD-2's.

Have you heard many other amps other than the RSA Apache with the LCD-2's?

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #3,448 of 9,207

Quote:
That's just it. I have no idea if I want a solid state, tube or hybrid. I've heard nothing other than standard headphones so I have nothing to go off. I just want an amp that works best with the LCD-2's.

I think you might converge on a solution faster if you can help establish some boundaries for your search.  You want solid state, yes?  What price range?  Any country of origin restrictions? etc...

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #3,449 of 9,207

Quote:

For $3K you've got a pretty big selection that falls under that price ceiling.  I can highly recommend the Apex Peak Volcano (hybrid) as an ideal playmate for LCD-2's.  The Violectric V181 (balanced SS)  I use is also a great choice, as is, the alternative V200 (SE SS) by all reports here (no direct experience with the latter). 

If you're looking for a preamp as well, you might also want to consider going the integrated amp route and look at possibilities like the Leben, or Cary or perhaps Decware.  I have no experience to share there, but there's been some very positive experiences posted on that route too.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #3,450 of 9,207
If I had $3k to spend on an amp for the LCD-2 I would try out a Liquid Fire while they are still "only" $2800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back