Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #2,761 of 9,207
Quote:
Can you elaborate, in which areas, did the B22 fared better than the EHHA ?
Also which tubes & output transistors were you using ?

In the EHHA I’m using a match quad of telefunken’s, mosfet version in a speaker amp configuration. Both amps are driven by a separate dual Sigma22 psu with Sumr 120VA transformers.

Both amps are excellent with the LCD-2’s, both have great detail retrieval and musicality. There is a definite softening with the EHHA, it does sound incredibly good, would be preferable for some tastes. The Beta22 cuts the image a little crisper, bass is slightly more visceral and detailed. 

I am also slightly biased as the Beta22 has more travel on the pot, it has a Khozmo 48 stepper as opposed to a Dact 24 stepper on the EHHA. 

Quote:
John my man, after reading your post, i am sold by your experiences you have with LCD 2 as i have been sitting on the fence for a very long time contemplating which is better with b22. and here you are convinced me that LCD 2 is the better choice. i have heard both but not with my b22 so i roughly knows what are the differences between he6 and LCD 2.

would you mind sheding some lights on this sound signature i heard from LCD 2 that has been haunting me for quite some time. does the vocal and the instruments sound separated by a huge gap inbetween on the LCD 2? meaning, i heard the vocal to be very upfront and the instruments lying far behind the back giving me an impression of a void in between them? is this due to the lack of compatibility from the amp? i doubt that the AE amp is not powerful enough to drive LCD 2. thanks.

I blame the the crappy microphonic stock cable...

I’ve used the old standard and ever reliable Rebecca Pidgeons Spanish Harlem track for vocal testing, with the stock cable she’s very forward with a closed in group behind her, the violin and cello interplay is lacking dynamics, kind of confusing and tends to mess up the presentation. Changing over to the Norse 8 conducter has her further back with a bigger soundstage, things are happening now, much more relaxed, everything has more space and time.

Do I need a flame suit?

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #2,762 of 9,207
Quote:
Thanks. It looks like you are one of the two persons tried the combo, the other one is the member "alota", he convinced me to buy the balanced beta 22.

What cable did you use? I've a NorseAudio 8 conductors ready and anxious to be plugged in (beta 22 will be ready in 3 weeks).

Congrats! I can only confirm that you has invested very wisely, indeed.
See post above for cable answer.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #2,763 of 9,207

Quote:
would you mind sheding some lights on this sound signature i heard from LCD 2 that has been haunting me for quite some time. does the vocal and the instruments sound separated by a huge gap inbetween on the LCD 2? meaning, i heard the vocal to be very upfront and the instruments lying far behind the back giving me an impression of a void in between them? is this due to the lack of compatibility from the amp? i doubt that the AE amp is not powerful enough to drive LCD 2. thanks.

First track of Diana Krall - Live in Paris through a 3-channel Beta22. Krall's voice is dead-right in the center with the instruments lying around her. I definitely don't hear the instruments behind the voice.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #2,765 of 9,207
I can confirm that my 2-channel Beta 22 is a good match for LCD-2s; with Beta 22, the soundstage is deeper (less upfront, just right), treble is better, and speed and impact are also improved (compared to M^3 AD843s with Sigma11).

I have not heard EHHA, but read that with telefunken tubes, EHHA should match well with LCD-2s. Since johnwmclean has heard both and prefer Beta 22, I will happily take his words (what he said makes sense to me).

I am getting a First Watt F2 clone and will compare it the Beta 22.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2,766 of 9,207

Quote:

I am also slightly biased as the Beta22 has more travel on the pot, it has a Khozmo 48 stepper as opposed to a Dact 24 stepper on the EHHA. 

Can you switch the attenuators & then compare again.
evil_smiley.gif

Actually just asking cause I am planning on building another amp for my secondary rig & am torn between EHHA & B22.
EHHA would be easier & I already have all the parts  but B22 would be a different flavor & possibly better ........

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2,767 of 9,207
How's your custom made amp project moving along chris? Has Herbert perfected the amp?

Hey brasewel,
Herbert's been a bit side tracked with other projects but I still jabs hopes for his modified version of his tubs amp.
In the meantime, been busy mixing via the Lavry DA10 HP out.
It 's not bad but considering under 1k options for referencing mixes.
The HPBA-2 looks good in that price range but would havd to be modded yo a HPBA-3 per Val at Qes labs to accommodate the LCD-2 impedance. That would add another $500 to thf price.

So.... The search is still on ?

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #2,768 of 9,207
Quote:
So what is a good "budget" amp (or possibly amp/dac) for these? The Nuforce Icon HDP?

I've got a pair on the way and will initially be using a GS Solo SRGII until I can afford something else a bit more powerful, but even then I'm not wanting to break my already broken bank.

I asked HeadphoneAddict this recently (LCD-2 with HDP, currently using HD650s)...

"I think the LCD-2 are much better than the HD-650, and although they have a similar frequency response the LCD-2 have greater speed, micro-detail, definition and control.  The LCD-2 are a good match for the stock HDP (i.e. stock PSU).

The HDP with a Sigma 11 PSU is noticeably better and starts to get near that point of diminishing returns, and an $800 DACmini (which is near the level of my $1200 maxed Woo WA6) is slightly better than my upgraded HDP ($700) or ALO Amphora ($995).   Nuforce makes a linear regulated PSU that should offer similar upgrades in sound to my Sigma 11.

If you didn't want to buy a Nuforce or Sigma 11 PSU and leave the HDP stock, then you'll still really enjoy the LCD-2 with it.  The next upgrade over a stock HDP would be to get the DACmini, although it might not be worth it to upgrade if you have the nicer PSU.  After that it is a point of diminishing returns.  You might have to jump to a $1900 Woo WA22 or Eddie Current ZDT to clearly reach the next level.  "

I have an HDP with me on trial, with LCD-2s on the way. A Burson 160D is also arriving soon, so I'll be able to give you some direct comparisons of the HDP vs a highly regarded HP amp (and DAC).

As it stands, I'm finding the HDP + 650 combination rather excellent :¬)

Another forum member went from the HDP + 650 to the Burson 160D + LCD-2 and said its fine upgrade indeed :¬)

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #2,769 of 9,207
http://www.ttvjaudio.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=717&image=

Apex Arete    Looks like an Apex Peak without the tube stage.   Interesting in that you can use the Volcano to power it if you already have the Peak/Volvano combo.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #2,771 of 9,207

Quote:
Greetings dudes.
I'm kinda considering this Qes labs thing for the LCD-2's...

http://www.qeslabs.com/e_listening.asp

...Heard good things about it as a studio-ref HP amp but anyone care to praise or talk crap about it? :)

Once you get it, let us know how it sounds.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #2,772 of 9,207

Quote:
John my man, after reading your post, i am sold by your experiences you have with LCD 2 as i have been sitting on the fence for a very long time contemplating which is better with b22. and here you are convinced me that LCD 2 is the better choice. i have heard both but not with my b22 so i roughly knows what are the differences between he6 and LCD 2.

IME, the Buffalo-II is much more important than the b22 in my system, without under estimating the latter.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #2,773 of 9,207
Peak / Volcano just arrived. Shuguang BT tube. Mullard ecc323 comes tomorrow. Only a couple hours break-in so far (tube needs a lot according to TTVJ) but so far it's everything they say it is. Too soon to give overall impressions, but so far I noticed the resolution and extension on both ends. Really impressive. Bass doesn't slam but it's all there.
More once I get the mullard tube. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #2,774 of 9,207
I can confirm that my 2-channel Beta 22 is a good match for LCD-2s; with Beta 22, the soundstage is deeper (less upfront, just right), treble is better, and speed and impact are also improved (compared to M^3 AD843s with Sigma11).

I have not heard EHHA, but read that with telefunken tubes, EHHA should match well with LCD-2s. Since johnwmclean has heard both and prefer Beta 22, I will happily take his words (what he said makes sense to me).

I am getting a First Watt F2 clone and will compare it the Beta 22.

The Beta22 is just my preference with the LCD-2s. Just a slightly different presentation. Both amps are world class, you cannot go wrong with either. Some listeners may prefer the EHHA presentation others the Beta22.
Depends also on source, the EHHA could be the better choice for some people. It 's about the system as a whole, my comments also reflect the ability of my source.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,775 of 9,207
I don't think the P/V is the slam in your face kind of amp, especially not with a Shuggie Treasure.  I am not sure that the ECC32 will make it slam for you either, but we shall see.  The ECC32s greatest strength, IMO, is that it is a oober smooth tube, but dynamic at the same time.  It gives you just the right amount of love, without being mushy.  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Peak / Volcano just arrived. Shuguang BT tube. Mullard ecc323 comes tomorrow. Only a couple hours break-in so far (tube needs a lot according to TTVJ) but so far it's everything they say it is. Too soon to give overall impressions, but so far I noticed the resolution and extension on both ends. Really impressive. Bass doesn't slam but it's all there.
More once I get the mullard tube. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back