Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2,776 of 9,207
yeah, I keep hearing smooth associated with the ecc32, but that it is also lighter on bass. The shuggie has incredible detail separation, but yeah, I think I need something russian to get more bass punch. But I also understand that this amp is not going to have a thick a bottom end regardless of tube selection

Quote:
I don't think the P/V is the slam in your face kind of amp, especially not with a Shuggie Treasure.  I am not sure that the ECC32 will make it slam for you either, but we shall see.  The ECC32s greatest strength, IMO, is that it is a oober smooth tube, but dynamic at the same time.  It gives you just the right amount of love, without being mushy.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2,777 of 9,207

Quote:
Not much for information/pictures on their website.  It has ~630 mW (28 dBm) of power into 300 ohms, I am guessing it is pure SS and would have even more power down around 50 ohms.  Who knows though.  Not sure if I'd bite on this one without hearing it first.  They seems to be an advocate of the completely separate everything in the channels though (power supply, volume knob, etc), not a bad thing at all.  Here is their spec sheet for it: http://www.qeslabs.com/pdf/hpba2.pdf

Yeah, The model that would work w/ the LCD-2's is the HPBA-3. It's a $500 upgrade. 
Kinda makes it a stretch for me to consider. It looks like a quality product though.

Quote:
He's making my 4 ch Beta 22

Val seems like a cool guy. Wouldn't mind living in his neighborhood either. :)

Quote:
Once you get it, let us know how it sounds.

Seems I need to reconsider due to impedance incapatibility.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #2,778 of 9,207
Quote:
yeah, I keep hearing smooth associated with the ecc32, but that it is also lighter on bass. The shuggie has incredible detail separation, but yeah, I think I need something russian to get more bass punch. But I also understand that this amp is not going to have a thick a bottom end regardless of tube selection

I don't think ECC32s are light on bass at all, but perhaps its just me.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2,779 of 9,207
The ecc32 for me in my amp has less bass and it is also has more bloom (not as tight or detailed in bass) than other tubes. Also the highs for some reason sound a little plasticy. My setup is a little rolled off in the highs which might attribute to the problem in the highs. I dont have that problem with other tubes though. By what I read, the reason the ecc32 has less bass and highs is because it isnt optimized (higher plate resistance) for 6sn7 circuits. This non optimization is what causes these deficiencies. Since I dont know any headphone amp that is optimized for the ecc32, I cannot verify if the bass and treble would be better when the circuit is optimized for the ecc32.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #2,780 of 9,207

Wow, that's depressing given the cost of the ecc32. I don't need to be hit over the head with bass. I'd just like to be able to go in and pick it out if I want to. But the bass not being tight and plasticy highs? I'm not happy to hear that. How is your setup rolled off? You mean your dac rolls off the highs?  I'd kill for rolled off highs. To my ears the LCD's have been stripped of any veil I perceived with my RSA amp. I have the Anedio D1 dac and it is very neutral and with the mostly neutral peak, i'm getting highs that are a little fatiguing, but I'm still on the Shuguang and it only has a few hours on it. I read it's very tinny sounding at first. I wouldn't say tinny, but stark to be sure.  

Quote:
The ecc32 for me in my amp has less bass and it is also has more bloom (not as tight or detailed in bass) than other tubes. Also the highs for some reason sound a little plasticy. My setup is a little rolled off in the highs which might attribute to the problem in the highs. I dont have that problem with other tubes though. By what I read, the reason the ecc32 has less bass and highs is because it isnt optimized (higher plate resistance) for 6sn7 circuits. This non optimization is what causes these deficiencies. Since I dont know any headphone amp that is optimized for the ecc32, I cannot verify if the bass and treble would be better when the circuit is optimized for the ecc32.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #2,781 of 9,207
I can hear everything in the bass even in the not burned in shuggie. There's real extension there, and that's as satisfying, if not more so, than having the bass hit hard. I'm starting to like how the peak just gives you everything, and says, You decide what you want to focus on in this listening session. What do you think of the really laid sounding back RCA tubes? I want to try one of those as well. 

Quote:
I don't think ECC32s are light on bass at all, but perhaps its just me.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #2,782 of 9,207
I think you just need to listen to the ECC32 and judge for yourself.  I like the tube a lot, but I also like a lot of other tubes.  I like laid back RCA's if I'm in the mood for pleasantries.  My favorite tubes for the P/V are probably the Fivre 6SN7GT, Marconi Osram B65, Mullard ECC32, and Tung-Sol BGRP.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #2,783 of 9,207

Quote:
I asked HeadphoneAddict this recently (LCD-2 with HDP, currently using HD650s)...

...snip...

I have an HDP with me on trial, with LCD-2s on the way. A Burson 160D is also arriving soon, so I'll be able to give you some direct comparisons of the HDP vs a highly regarded HP amp (and DAC).

As it stands, I'm finding the HDP + 650 combination rather excellent :¬)

Another forum member went from the HDP + 650 to the Burson 160D + LCD-2 and said its fine upgrade indeed :¬)

Hi,

If you're going to quote private messages in public, it's nice to ask the person if that's okay first.  And it's nice to include the original question and the whole response after you ask.  It's okay and I'm not mad, but you might rub someone else the wrong way.  I got in trouble myself for posting a PM once.

You asked if your current HDP would be a good match for the LCD-2 and if it would represent a point of diminishing returns.  I then included a copy of a post I made here yesterday afternoon, plus what you quoted which was more directly in response to your question.  But at the end of my private message I said, "Note, I don't mention amps I haven't heard yet, and I while I have the maxed WA6 I haven't heard the WA6SE which is supposed to be much better than my normal WA6."  

I just want people to know (as I informed you) that if I left out a better amp in my reply that it's because I haven't tried it.  I know there are likely many amps that bridge the performance gap between the midrange amps I mentioned and the high-end amps that I mentioned.  Also, my ZDT wasn't the best with LCD-2 until I did the partial silver transformer upgrade, and now the combo is much better sounding.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #2,784 of 9,207
I love the amp already. I'm hearing things in familiar songs that I never knew was there before.
Ecc comes today. Looking forward to it. 
I looked up your other suggestions. Wow, they are expensive too. Having said that, I'll probably order them soon :)

Quote:
I think you just need to listen to the ECC32 and judge for yourself.  I like the tube a lot, but I also like a lot of other tubes.  I like laid back RCA's if I'm in the mood for pleasantries.  My favorite tubes for the P/V are probably the Fivre 6SN7GT, Marconi Osram B65, Mullard ECC32, and Tung-Sol BGRP.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #2,785 of 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you're going to quote private messages in public, it's nice to ask the person if that's okay first.  And it's nice to include the original question and the whole response after you ask.  It's okay and I'm not mad, but you might rub someone else the wrong way.  I got in trouble myself for posting a PM once.

My apologies, it was an attempt to be helpful. Consider your recommendations taken on board :¬)

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #2,786 of 9,207
Quote:
I love the amp already. I'm hearing things in familiar songs that I never knew was there before.
Ecc comes today. Looking forward to it. 
I looked up your other suggestions. Wow, they are expensive too. Having said that, I'll probably order them soon :)

Those are really the tubes that I listen to these days.  I am sure there are cheaper tubes that sound great as well, I wouldn't drive yourself bankrupt buying tubes.  
biggrin.gif
  I would recommend waiting to see if you like the ECC32, first.  Some cheaper alternatives that are generally a good listen might be Sylvanias, etc.  Keep an eye out cause you never know what people are trying to get rid, you can find some really sweet stuff sometimes.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #2,787 of 9,207
I popped in the Mullard, gave it only 15 minutes to warm up, and then put on Rush's YYZ (24/96 hdtracks version). YES! I'm happy with this one already. The bass is more than adequate, and the smoothness is a real relief. Wow, it's hard to believe a single tube can change the sound so much. My LCD-2's sound like themselves again. They were sounding a little like dynamics with the Shuggie. I have a few more coming, but I can see why this one makes everyone's list of best tubes, 

Quote:

Those are really the tubes that I listen to these days.  I am sure there are cheaper tubes that sound great as well, I wouldn't drive yourself bankrupt buying tubes.  
biggrin.gif
  I would recommend waiting to see if you like the ECC32, first.  Some cheaper alternatives that are generally a good listen might be Sylvanias, etc.  Keep an eye out cause you never know what people are trying to get rid, you can find some really sweet stuff sometimes.

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #2,788 of 9,207
Wow KevinWolff, you move so fast with your purchases. My advice would be to sit back, let the new electronics bed in and get used to the sound. You can also tell me to get stuffed and mind my own business 
blink.gif

Glad you are enjoying the desease we call audiophillia 
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2,789 of 9,207
haha. no. it's ok. I do get a little carried away. In January this all started with my labrador chewing my bose QC3's (which I thought sounded dreadful even before I discovered headfi). I started with the HD650's that I bought with amex points, and thinking, all I need is this little amp called uDac2 and I'm all set. It'll hardly cost me anything at all (cue ominous music)

Then I discovered headfonia...

and then headfi...

That was 4 amp upgrades, 3 dacs, 4 upgrade cables,  and 2 cans ago. And it's just shy of my 6 month anniversary. lol

HOWEVER, I go thru phases, and move quickly to get to the optimal system and then stop. Check my signature in 6 months. I'll bet it still reads as it does today. I think I finally have the rig that I wanted. That's it. I think I'm done (Cue ominous reprise).

All I need to now is for HDtracks to get the ENTIRE Rush catalog, and a few other catalogs, and I'll be happy forever.....forever...forever.... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Wow KevinWolff, you move so fast with your purchases. My advice would be to sit back, let the new electronics bed in and get used to the sound. You can also tell me to get stuffed and mind my own business 
blink.gif

Glad you are enjoying the desease we call audiophillia 
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2,790 of 9,207
Interesting your in New Jersey too.  I suppose you don't have to buy all the tubes, you could just listen to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back