Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 24, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #2,806 of 9,207
At the P/V or Leben level, its not a sounds better so much as a sounds different situation.  Funny though, lately I haven't been listening to LCD-2s, or the P/V, or Leben.  I am running in HD-800s on my WA-5 right now, before this I had been listening to HE-6 out of the WA-5 lately, running in some tubes.

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #2,807 of 9,207
Exactly. The differences are small that it is difficult to distinguish them. I doubt we would be able to tell the difference between the P/V and my Apache in a blind test. We had to go back and forth a couple times to really ascertain what one amp did better over the other. Go to page 158 and 159.

Didn't know you got the HD800. Do you prefer it to the HE-6 or LCD-2? 

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #2,808 of 9,207
I don't prefer it, but I do recognize it as a good headphone, at least as of right now, but I don't have much time on them.  They are much better headphone than the Ed.10, but I still prefer my HE-6 and LCD-2s.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #2,809 of 9,207
The Leben is an exceptionally fine amp for speakers. Been running is with some B&W N805's lately, and the sound is shockingly good. For people who want one amp to do both speaker and headphone duty, and don't need to have boatloads of power for speakers, the Leben is hard to beat.

I'm very excited that I am getting a review loaner of the RWA Audeze Edition Isabella. I really liked the original Isabella, and so I have high hopes for the new RWA amp.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #2,815 of 9,207

Hi KevinWolff,
Quote:
bi-amp'd headphones anyone? 
smile.gif

I've heard of this several times before, but I always have a hard time imagining how you would cable it all.  If you're starting with two SE amps, for example, using just one channel of each amp could improve the sound quality by creating a balanced configuration, but is there a way to use both channels in one SE amp to feed just one channel of your headphones (and both channels in the other SE amp to feed the other channel of your headphones)?  If so, wouldn't there be "electrical" problems associated with combining the channels?  What are the benefits?

Explanations, links to articles, pictures of cables, etc. would be very much appreciated...

Thanks!

Mike

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #2,816 of 9,207
Monoblocks would be one way to do it:

Obviously you would want to use balanced headphone cabling to hook them up like speakers.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,818 of 9,207
Besides, no crosstalk in such an amp setup, just from the e.g. DAC. Hence, maybe a too technical sound.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2,819 of 9,207
I really don't see the advantages of a bi-amped headphone over normal unlike speakers where it helps since you're offloading some of the load to the other amp since headphones don't demand as much juice. I could be wrong on this though.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2,820 of 9,207
Woo Audio is coming out with a new flagship monoblock headphone amp soon, should be around $8k so we'll see how that goes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back