Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #2,746 of 9,207

Quote:
Yes, but in the case of the B22 its like .2 ohms instead of .1 ohms.

Don't get me wrong, personally I am not a proponent of balanced and I agree with all of your points.

I guess then, the biggest hit you take with a 4-ch β22 is initial cost coupled with inherently lower reliability.  A 4 ch setup will have roughly 1/2 the MTBF that a 2 ch setup will have.

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #2,747 of 9,207
I hadn't thought about that part of the equation.  I'd been focusing on the problem of the signal passing through twice as many parts.

Interesting perspective!

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #2,748 of 9,207
Greetings dudes.
I'm kinda considering this Qes labs thing for the LCD-2's...

http://www.qeslabs.com/e_listening.asp

...Heard good things about it as a studio-ref HP amp but anyone care to praise or talk crap about it? :)

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #2,749 of 9,207
Quote:
I hadn't thought about that part of the equation.  I'd been focusing on the problem of the signal passing through twice as many parts.

Interesting perspective!

That amp has so many parts in it, that adding more probably can't get you any further away from individual component sound anyways, so your left with, added complexity, cost, and reliability.  I will concede doubling the output impedance of the amp in this case probably will not make much of a difference, but the added voltage swing capability probably won't add much either since you will have no need for all that additional headroom, while the LCD-2 is not the most sensitive phone it is still pretty sensitive.  If you need common mode noise rejection, than that is another story.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #2,751 of 9,207
The Havana DAC>Headroom Ultra Amp combination has been the best so far for my LCD-2s.
The Schiit Lyr and even the WA22 pale in comparison.
Just WOW 

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #2,752 of 9,207
Not much for information/pictures on their website.  It has ~630 mW (28 dBm) of power into 300 ohms, I am guessing it is pure SS and would have even more power down around 50 ohms.  Who knows though.  Not sure if I'd bite on this one without hearing it first.  They seems to be an advocate of the completely separate everything in the channels though (power supply, volume knob, etc), not a bad thing at all.  Here is their spec sheet for it: http://www.qeslabs.com/pdf/hpba2.pdf

Quote:
Greetings dudes.
I'm kinda considering this Qes labs thing for the LCD-2's...

http://www.qeslabs.com/e_listening.asp

...Heard good things about it as a studio-ref HP amp but anyone care to praise or talk crap about it? :)

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #2,754 of 9,207
I would like to know if someone already tried a balanced 4 ch Beta 22 with the LCD-2

I have had the LCD-2s for a couple of months with my balanced Beta22, my source is a Buffalo32 DAC. After the first listen of the first piece of music I knew I'd be selling my HD800's, I put them up for sale the next day and have never looked back.
I've read the talk about a shelved down treble with the LCD-2s, I cannot hear it on this system, I can hear an annoying peak with the HD800's.
The LCD-2's sound natural, there's flesh and bone, an almost organic signature, it's had me up all hours rediscovering my music. It's performs equalling well over all genres, rock is much more enjoyable vs HD800's by a wide margin.
I believe the Beta22 and LCD-2's are made for each other, more so than my Balanced EHHA which faired better with the HD800 and K1000's. I had time with the HE-6, it did not wow me like the LCD-2s do.
In all honesty the combo is the best I've heard from any system in my experience.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #2,756 of 9,207
So what is a good "budget" amp (or possibly amp/dac) for these? The Nuforce Icon HDP?

I've got a pair on the way and will initially be using a GS Solo SRGII until I can afford something else a bit more powerful, but even then I'm not wanting to break my already broken bank.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #2,757 of 9,207

Quote:
So what is a good "budget" amp (or possibly amp/dac) for these? The Nuforce Icon HDP?

I've got a pair on the way and will initially be using a GS Solo SRGII until I can afford something else a bit more powerful, but even then I'm not wanting to break my already broken bank.

My KICAS Caliente is a pretty good match for the LCD-2. It's not in the same class as my Apache but it shines for a $200 amp.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #2,759 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:
I would like to know if someone already tried a balanced 4 ch Beta 22 with the LCD-2

I have had the LCD-2s for a couple of months with my balanced Beta22, my source is a Buffalo32 DAC. After the first listen of the first piece of music I knew I'd be selling my HD800's, I put them up for sale the next day and have never looked back.
I've read the talk about a shelved down treble with the LCD-2s, I cannot hear it on this system, I can hear an annoying peak with the HD800's.
The LCD-2's sound natural, there's flesh and bone, an almost organic signature, it's had me up all hours rediscovering my music. It's performs equalling well over all genres, rock is much more enjoyable vs HD800's by a wide margin.
I believe the Beta22 and LCD-2's are made for each other, more so than my Balanced EHHA which faired better with the HD800 and K1000's. I had time with the HE-6, it did not wow me like the LCD-2s do.
In all honesty the combo is the best I've heard from any system in my experience.

John my man, after reading your post, i am sold by your experiences you have with LCD 2 as i have been sitting on the fence for a very long time contemplating which is better with b22. and here you are convinced me that LCD 2 is the better choice. i have heard both but not with my b22 so i roughly knows what are the differences between he6 and LCD 2.

would you mind sheding some lights on this sound signature i heard from LCD 2 that has been haunting me for quite some time. does the vocal and the instruments sound separated by a huge gap inbetween on the LCD 2? meaning, i heard the vocal to be very upfront and the instruments lying far behind the back giving me an impression of a void in between them? is this due to the lack of compatibility from the amp? i doubt that the AE amp is not powerful enough to drive LCD 2. thanks.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #2,760 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. It looks like you are one of the two persons tried the combo, the other one is the member "alota", he convinced me to buy the balanced beta 22.

What cable did you use? I've a NorseAudio 8 conductors ready and anxious to be plugged in (beta 22 will be ready in 3 weeks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back