Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 8, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #2,581 of 9,207
I think he's got an apex peak, so I would assume that's plenty powerful enough.

No doubt...but my comment was strictly limited to the MAD Ear+HD (one of the very best Grado amps out there BTW).

Mike has an output transformer on his Ear+ HD that allows it to put out a lot more power than normal at 50 ohms (I'm just a laymen but I think you know what I'm saying). I listened through it and it drove the LCD-2s admirably.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,583 of 9,207
I think he's got an apex peak, so I would assume that's plenty powerful enough.

No doubt...but my comment was strictly limited to the MAD Ear+HD (one of the very best Grado amps out there BTW).

Mike has an output transformer on his Ear+ HD that allows it to put out a lot more power than normal at 50 ohms (I'm just a laymen but I think you know what I'm saying). I listened through it and it drove the LCD-2s admirably.

The MAD Ear+HD's are not OTL amps. If he's done some modifications to them, then great...but my MAD Ear+HD (with blackgate caps) was not up to the task to fully drive the LCD-2s. Did they sound nice...sure, but they were being held back.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #2,584 of 9,207

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasewel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Add the Liquid Fire to the Hybrid list as well. A review has been posted here http://www.avguide.com/review/cavalli-audio-liquid-fire-headphone-amplifier-playback-45
Looks like it's a beast of an amp.

Thanks for that link!  Another great review from Tom Martin.

I couldn't help but notice a similarity in one paragraph to something he wrote in an earlier review.

Quoting Tom Martin's review of the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire:

First, the Cavalli deals very well with low-level signals. Low-level signals are critical for conveying the color of instruments (because the color often lies in the harmonic structure of the instrument, which consists of small overtones). Low-level signals are also essential for conveying a sense of the space in which the recording was made (because the “sound” of the space is represented by a series of reflections of lower and lower volume). The Liquid Fire allows you to hear all sorts of these smaller signals, whereas some amps either blur them or bury them in noise.

Quoting Tom Martin's review of the Apex P/V:

Listening to the Peak/Volcano combo suggests that a really good front end can do a lot to restore the highest levels sonic transparency that sometimes seem lacking in headphone-based systems. In short, this amp has an astonishing level of resolving power that shows up in its superior handling of spatial information, instrumental decays, and other low-level signals. These small signals are a key test of amplifier resolving power. This isn’t just a sporting thing; it’s the kind of difference that really matters for many kinds of music—if you care about realism.

The Peak/Volcano also expresses its superior resolution in the way it separates instruments. Many amps create a harmoniously blended sound on ensemble work (e.g., the sound of many instruments playing in a band at the same time)—a sound that is pleasantly homogenized, yet for that very reason is also inaccurate. The Peak/Volcano helps you realize that this kind of homogenized presentation is actually the result of lesser amplifiers smearing the distinct sounds of individual instruments into a wash. Once the Peak/Volcano’s much higher levels of resolution come into play, however, you instead hear more detailed contributions from each instrument in the ensemble, and in a way that doesn’t sound at all unnatural, but rather sounds more like the real thing.

This is why, if compromise is necessary, I feel as if I'd gladly sacrifice other desirable sonic traits before I would forfeit resolution.  Bring on the detail.

Mike

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #2,585 of 9,207
Evidently there are indeed some very high-end hybrids out there, sorry about the brainfart as I knew about both the LF and the PV, for some reason I was just thinking EF5/Lyr. 
blink.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2,586 of 9,207

Quote:
The "Search This Thread" button doesn't seem to work for me so I ask:
I'm thinking of buying the WA6 + Sophia  for  the LCD-2. Would that be wise?

Go for the WA6-SE, not the standard WA6.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #2,587 of 9,207
I thought they were just releasing a new DAC. Are they releasing a new high-end amp as well?

I can't remember where I read it but I think that Jason mentioned it briefly at the end of the 6 moons review. I know some extra details but have been sworn to secrecy but it is going to be a ripper.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #2,588 of 9,207
Just wondering if anyone here besides Sachu has heard the Liquid Fire and if so any comparisons to other amps you've heard? 

Quote:
The MAD Ear+HD's are not OTL amps. If he's done some modifications to them, then great...but my MAD Ear+HD (with blackgate caps) was not up to the task to fully drive the LCD-2s. Did they sound nice...sure, but they were being held back.

Frank (DeadEars) has also modified his MAD Ear+HD and the LCD-2 sounded very good through them. It had more than enough power to drive them admirably. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #2,589 of 9,207
Thanks for the mention, Brasewel!

I'd be interested to hear about Mike's output transformer modification.  To my mind, that's the biggest limiting factor for the MAD amp, since the stock Hammond transformers go weak in the knees below about 45Hz.  The LCD-2's are capable of much better low end response than the MAD amp can deliver, even though mine is quite nice at all sane listening levels, especially the midrange -- as you've heard at the New Jersey meet last month.

I'd agree with Macedonian Hero that the stock MAD amp can be bettered by many more powerful head amps.  But for those of use who grew up with solder fumes, the MAD amp represents a nice starting point for a pretty good LCD-2 amp, at a lot less $$$ than a Peak/Volcano or Cavelli Liquid Fire!

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2,591 of 9,207

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone here besides Sachu has heard the Liquid Fire and if so any comparisons to other amps you've heard? 

I have heard the liquid fire preproduction and production version. When it comes down to it, if the amp has enough watts to run the cans, it is usually just up to personal taste as being the difference. You need to decide what attributes you want like (warm, analytical, transparent, musical, etc) What is going to be the best amp for 1 person is going to be different for the next. While the LF might have had more musicality, the BA had more transparency. Which is better is up to the listener. It is a very nice amp in both looks and sound and priced nicely for its sound and power it can deliver.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2,592 of 9,207

Quote:

Quote:

I have heard the liquid fire preproduction and production version. When it comes down to it, if the amp has enough watts to run the cans, it is usually just up to personal taste as being the difference. You need to decide what attributes you want like (warm, analytical, transparent, musical, etc) What is going to be the best amp for 1 person is going to be different for the next. While the LF might have had more musicality, the BA had more transparency. Which is better is up to the listener. It is a very nice amp in both looks and sound and priced nicely for its sound and power it can deliver.

I second Josh's point on it being up to personal taste.  I've heard his BA, and spent a decent amount of time with the P/V and preprod LF.  There isn't a one and true holy grail of amps that is going to be "it" for everyone.  I also mostly share Josh's opinion on the LF and BA, and would add the I think the P/V has great strengths in clarity and detail.  Personally, I like the emotional connection and musicality when I'm listening to stuff, so I tend to prioritize that, even over clarity, transparency, and imaging.  The caveat is that there needs to be enough of the latter parts, or you also start losing elements of musicality as well.  I don't like to draw direct comparisons between amps too much, since I think some people tend to read opinion as fact, and it all comes down to the listener anyway.

If you want an opinion about any particular amps I've heard, braswel, or have any particular questions about what I've heard with the LF, feel free to drop me a PM.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2,595 of 9,207
yeah we found out about it during the NYC meet this year.  been on the hush till they released it though officially.  I heard it and thought it was not a bad combo.  I have heard a lot of combos with the LCD-2 and think there are many other good options out there too.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back