Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #1,696 of 9,207

Quote:
Also, I have seen a few recommendations for the Woo2 OTL amp on here but not much in regards to the Woo22. Has anyone tried the combo of the 22 with the LCD-2? I like OTL designs but I am also a big fan of the 6SN7 tube family so I would welcome some insight. 

Quote:

I am using LCD-2 with Woo 22 (as well as several other people).  To my ears, the combo is awesome, some tubes roll better than others for this phone.

X2, I am listening to that combo right now. It is the one that I listen to most often, and there is much more on it if you want to sift through the main Woo thread.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #1,697 of 9,207

Quote:
Larry, do you know if DACmini is also a pre-amp?  I see a Line-out port at the back, but nowhere it mentioned as a pre-amp.  Would the output from the Line-out can be adjusted by the volume control?

And the
Output Power
1.5W (total), drives 50...600 Ohm headphones.
I would say it's 750mWpc, don't you think?  onto what? 50 ohms?

I know you may not know these information, but who knows? 
biggrin.gif

I'm looking a DAC with pre-amp builtin for LCD-2 and been lurking around finding more information about Eastern Electric Minimax.  You heard before Larry?

The DACmini CX, the current unit that is available, isn't a pre-amp. They will be coming out with the PX model soon that will have a 25 watt power amp built in so you can connect it directly to unpowered speakers. Otherwise it will be exactly the same. But it will likely cost a lot more than the CX. I use my CX unit outputs to link up with my powered AudioEngine 5 speakers & that makes a great match.

Here is a link to what Stereophile had to say about the new PX:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/centrace-dacmini-px

Regarding the EE. Minimax DAC. I have one & love it. Highly recommended as long as you go Coax/BNC connecter route. The USB isn't the way to go with the Minimax. That 32 bit dac chip in it produces some of the best sound I've ever heard. If it had a remote control capability, I'd sell my modded Benchmark HDR dac/amp. It's that good! Get a USB/BNC converter to go with it & you'll be very happy with it if a PC will be your source.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #1,698 of 9,207

Quote:
Larry, do you know if DACmini is also a pre-amp?  I see a Line-out port at the back, but nowhere it mentioned as a pre-amp.  Would the output from the Line-out can be adjusted by the volume control?

And the
Output Power
1.5W (total), drives 50...600 Ohm headphones.
I would say it's 750mWpc, don't you think?  onto what? 50 ohms?

I know you may not know these information, but who knows? 
biggrin.gif

I'm looking a DAC with pre-amp builtin for LCD-2 and been lurking around finding more information about Eastern Electric Minimax.  You heard before Larry?

DACmini comes standard with a fixed line-out, but on request the RCA outputs can be routed through the volume pot.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,699 of 9,207
In response to the question about Ray Samuels amps with LCD2:
My B52 is now truly excellent with the LCD2s. By the way, Bendix 6900 tubes do a great job with the B52.
See my post here (#1128):
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496130/audeze-lcd2-vs-sennheiser-hd800/1125#post_7334427

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #1,700 of 9,207

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinHorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Regarding the EE. Minimax DAC. I have one & love it. Highly recommended as long as you go Coax/BNC connecter route. The USB isn't the way to go with the Minimax. That 32 bit dac chip in it produces some of the best sound I've ever heard.

Which DAC chip does the EE Minimax use?

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,702 of 9,207

Quote:
the ESS sabre 9018 which is their flagship

Correct & although there are a number of dacs that have that wonderful chip, the Minimax sounds much better than most, & almost as good as a couple that cost 3-6 times it's price. If you can avoid being stuck with using it's USB connection, I highly recommend it.  I've even used it as a source for the DACmini listening to my LCD-2 & with the tube engaged it doesn't get much better than that SEed.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #1,703 of 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinHorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The DACmini CX, the current unit that is available, isn't a pre-amp. They will be coming out with the PX model soon that will have a 25 watt power amp built in so you can connect it directly to unpowered speakers. Otherwise it will be exactly the same. But it will likely cost a lot more than the CX. I use my CX unit outputs to link up with my powered AudioEngine 5 speakers & that makes a great match.

Here is a link to what Stereophile had to say about the new PX:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/centrace-dacmini-px

Regarding the EE. Minimax DAC. I have one & love it. Highly recommended as long as you go Coax/BNC connecter route. The USB isn't the way to go with the Minimax. That 32 bit dac chip in it produces some of the best sound I've ever heard. If it had a remote control capability, I'd sell my modded Benchmark HDR dac/amp. It's that good! Get a USB/BNC converter to go with it & you'll be very happy with it if a PC will be your source.

Thanks for the info, but I thought USB to BNC converter still have all the weaknesses inherited from USB?  like jitter, 16/44.1 limitation?

Quote:
DACmini comes standard with a fixed line-out, but on request the RCA outputs can be routed through the volume pot.

Thanks Larry, then it is not for me as I'm looking for pre-amp as well.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #1,706 of 9,207

Quote:
Correct & although there are a number of dacs that have that wonderful chip, the Minimax sounds much better than most, & almost as good as a couple that cost 3-6 times it's price. If you can avoid being stuck with using it's USB connection, I highly recommend it.  I've even used it as a source for the DACmini listening to my LCD-2 & with the tube engaged it doesn't get much better than that SEed.

I use my minimax to play pc music files with this: http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89602
MUSICAL FIDELITY - V-LINK USB TO COAX CONVERTER
The V-LINK is a 24-bit 96K asynchronous USB interface with S/PDIF output on either RCA or Toslink

My minimax sounds great, even playing unconverted Flac 96 KhZ 24 bit files.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #1,707 of 9,207
Has anyone been able to compare or at least heard both the Burson 160D and the CEntrance DACmini?

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #1,708 of 9,207

Quote:
Has anyone been able to compare or at least heard both the Burson 160D and the CEntrance DACmini?

I'd love to hear a comparison too. I love my DACmini CX a lot but it really isn't a preamp like the 160D & the Burson got a rave review on 6 Moons. I'm worried that when the true pre-amp version of the mini comes out, it may be a lot more expensive than the Burson.  Some posts here have indicated that the dac on the 160D is a weak spot but that isn't at all what [size=x-small]Srajan Ebaen of 6-Moons found & over time I've found his equipment reviews to be spot on with my own experiences with the same gear.[/size]

So like elnero, I'm waiting to hear how the two compare, especially with the LCD-2s (in my case).

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #1,710 of 9,207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back