Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Nov 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,231 of 9,207
hello,
Has anyone compared listening to LCD2 on Violectric V200 and Leben cs300xs? Wchich one do you think is better for them?
I see Skylab also said he tested concerto.
thanks

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #1,232 of 9,207
I have a fully upgraded wa2 with a handful of tubes.

The wa2 works "good" with the lcd2 but its far from "unfvknbelievable."

It sounds a tad claustrophobic, unless of course that is the intended presentation of the lcd2...

Skylabs since you have heard the LCD2 from a number of amps, can you give me a rough idea of what I could expect moving from a wa2 to a powerful transfomer coupled tube amp such as the leben or the mini tori. Do thinks "open" up a bit more?

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #1,233 of 9,207

Quote:

It sounds a tad claustrophobic, unless of course that is the intended presentation of the lcd2...

That's what I feel as well.  I hope sound stage expand with more watts.  I'm waiting for speaker adapter to try with onkyo 706 receiver.

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #1,234 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:
How does "not enough current" sound?  I am re-thinking my original impressions about the amps I have and their ability to drive these headphones.

Thanks.

If a headphone is under powered, one will typically hear anemic, and lackluster sound, possibly accompanied by occasional clipping on peaks.

Thanks.  I'm not sure what to make of this.  On the SS amp, which should be supplying plenty of juice according to the mfr., it just sounds too old-style SS, and that is not the usual presentation of this amp.  On the SP OTL it sounds dark, and lacks definition, but i think that may be due to new Audio Note caps, or perhaps i re-wired the heater Voltage wrong when I de-high powered it.  Even the K-701s, which in sharp contrast to many people, I enjoy very much sounded this way.  So, I'll wait it out. My only previous experience was with a ZDT over a year ago and that sounded gorgeous.  I can still hear it.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #1,235 of 9,207

Quote:

Skylabs since you have heard the LCD2 from a number of amps, can you give me a rough idea of what I could expect moving from a wa2 to a powerful transfomer coupled tube amp such as the leben or the mini tori. Do thinks "open" up a bit more?

No, I don't think that it "opens up" if by that you mean the treble energy increases.  The primary difference is a better sense of dynamic ease.  But maybe that's not what you meant? 

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #1,238 of 9,207
Nov 24, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #1,239 of 9,207
The production version of the DACmini started shipping Thursday of last week & mine shipped a day later & will be delivered tomorrow. Has anyone who got theirs today or yesterday had a chance to try it out with the LCD2 yet?  I know it will be super early impressions, but I'm trying to decide which headphone will work best with the DACmini.  So any feedback would be appreciated.  I know Headphone Addict had recommended it at some point here as a good match based on hearing the pre-production unit that Michael had displayed recently I believe that the RMFA.  In an email Micheal had mentioned that the final tweeks have greatly improved the mini even more so I have high hopes.  Anyway, if anyone has done any listening to the mini/LCD2 combo, I'd love to hear their early impressions.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #1,241 of 9,207
Great, now I need a second job. Must hear these. I want to know about the Meier vs J sound too. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #1,242 of 9,207
Nov 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #1,244 of 9,207
The WA2 uses the 6AS7G for the power tube. It has about 8 times the plate current than the 6DJ8 that the CSP-2 uses. I'm not saying the WA2 has 8 times the power - I'm not sure what the ratings of each are. But the WA2 is for sure more powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back