Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Nov 12, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #1,187 of 9,207

Quote:
TruBrew - Bender wearing Beyers.  now my favorite avatar of all time. 

Benderdynamic.   hahahahahaha

Thanks. I had been trying to sell that bender head(dvd box set) because I have them all ripped to my network server, but decided to keep it after I realized I could not sell it for any more than what it would cost me to buy a new headphone stand. The disks are going to waste, but it does make an amusing stand.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #1,188 of 9,207
Quote:

Thanks. I had been trying to sell that bender head(dvd box set) because I have them all ripped to my network server, but decided to keep it after I realized I could not sell it for any more than what it would cost me to buy a new headphone stand. The disks are going to waste, but it does make an amusing stand.

Another plus, you don't end up breaking the law by ripping and selling the discs!  :D 

I love the idea of using Bender as a stand :) 

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #1,189 of 9,207
I have heard the LCD-2 with a few combos now..If you are on a budget with no gear,a matrix mini will serve you well.Next up would be a Meir Concerto.For tubes ,the mini tori works like a champ,with the headphone mod and even the miniwatt adapter for speaker taps..I notice on Skylabs photo of the mini tori,you have changed some tubes,could you tell us what those "coke bottle" power tubes are, those  and the other rolls you made would be very useful to know..Thanks Skylab.

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #1,190 of 9,207
Quote:
Quote:
I plan on ordering a Pair of LCD-2's by the end of the week, and now need to start searching for an amp. I am willing to spend around $1500 on an amp but don't know where to go. I have read through most of this thread and have come up with a few ideas. I was hoping for some advice.

Option 1 is the Blossom BLO-0299, but I can't find anyone who has had the combo to give an opinion. Skylab in his review said they worked well together but nothing spectacular, but only had sing ended cables for the test.

An idea I received from this thread is the Decware Mini Torii. It isn't a HP amp, but can be modded as one. This kind of creates a tube vs SS question, and also balanced vs SE.

I was originally looking at the Audio-GD Phoenix, but from what I have been reading Audio-Gd gear doesn't seem to mesh well with the LCD-2's. I am happy to consider anything in this general price range, but it can be very hard to find direct comparisons, and I can not afford to buy both and sell the loser.

There is the tube amp that Asr seems to like with the LCD-2 in the RMAF which also happens to be in your price range right? That's a reasonable option. 

I did not listen to any tube amps with my LCD-2 at RMAF. You might be thinking of my listening to the Schiit Valhalla with the T1: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518094/rmaf-2010-denver-canjam-rmaf-impressions-in-case-people-missed-seeing-this-in-the-meet-forum/45#post_7028475

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #1,191 of 9,207

Quote:
I have heard the LCD-2 with a few combos now..If you are on a budget with no gear,a matrix mini will serve you well.Next up would be a Meir Concerto.For tubes ,the mini tori works like a champ,with the headphone mod and even the miniwatt adapter for speaker taps..I notice on Skylabs photo of the mini tori,you have changed some tubes,could you tell us what those "coke bottle" power tubes are, those  and the other rolls you made would be very useful to know..Thanks Skylab.

The power tubes I am using are Sylvania 6V6G's.  I also am using Tung-Sol 12BH7's in place of the stock 12AU7.  This amp is absolutely terrific with planar/ortho headphones.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #1,192 of 9,207
Thanks Skylab for the info,I have just ordered
SYLVANIA 6V6G VT-107-B - MINT NOS 1950s Smoke Glass ST Coke Bottle Military Production - Made in USA (M. Pairs/Singles) 2

I also brought a matching pair of NOS RCA 12BH7A..When the sylvania come I will roll all four...The Decware amp already sounds superb and get better every day. I can highly recommend this for LCD-2.The Decware work is top notch and I can now see now, why they have so many fans.Cheers.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #1,193 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I plan on ordering a Pair of LCD-2's by the end of the week, and now need to start searching for an amp. I am willing to spend around $1500 on an amp but don't know where to go. I have read through most of this thread and have come up with a few ideas. I was hoping for some advice.

Option 1 is the Blossom BLO-0299, but I can't find anyone who has had the combo to give an opinion. Skylab in his review said they worked well together but nothing spectacular, but only had sing ended cables for the test.

An idea I received from this thread is the Decware Mini Torii. It isn't a HP amp, but can be modded as one. This kind of creates a tube vs SS question, and also balanced vs SE.

I was originally looking at the Audio-GD Phoenix, but from what I have been reading Audio-Gd gear doesn't seem to mesh well with the LCD-2's. I am happy to consider anything in this general price range, but it can be very hard to find direct comparisons, and I can not afford to buy both and sell the loser.

There is the tube amp that Asr seems to like with the LCD-2 in the RMAF which also happens to be in your price range right? That's a reasonable option. 

I did not listen to any tube amps with my LCD-2 at RMAF. You might be thinking of my listening to the Schiit Valhalla with the T1: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518094/rmaf-2010-denver-canjam-rmaf-impressions-in-case-people-missed-seeing-this-in-the-meet-forum/45#post_7028475

My apologies. My memories failed me and hence, I mistook you for jp11801. 
tongue.gif

The amplifier I was referring to is the Rethm SET amp as posted here

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #1,194 of 9,207
I am guessing the Rethm amp is not out yet, because I can not find any information on it.

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #1,195 of 9,207
So I think I have things narrowed down the the WA22 and Mini Torii. Can anyone compare the soundstage of the 2 amp. I assume the WA22 would do a better job being that it is balanced. Since I hear Orthos have some soundstaging issues, it seemed like a concern.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #1,196 of 9,207
How does "not enough current" sound?  I am re-thinking my original impressions about the amps I have and their ability to drive these headphones.

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #1,198 of 9,207

Quote:
So I think I have things narrowed down the the WA22 and Mini Torii. Can anyone compare the soundstage of the 2 amp. I assume the WA22 would do a better job being that it is balanced. Since I hear Orthos have some soundstaging issues, it seemed like a concern.

TruBrew I don't think anyone is likely to be able to answer your question.  There are only a very few of us who have the Mini-Torii (I'm only aware of one other head-fier besides me, although there may be a few others).  And I have never heard a WA22.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #1,199 of 9,207

Quote:

Just some random thoughts:

The WA22 may sound great with the LCD-2, and it happens to be balanced, but it wouldn't sound great because it is balanced.  If it sounds great it's because it's a great amp, not because it's balanced.  

Soundstaging is one of the most misunderstood aspects of audio reproduction.  The driver technology, ortho or not, has nothing in particular to do with the perceived soundstage of a given headphone.

It's one thing to faithfully record, preserve, and reproduce the soundstage of a given venue, it's quite another to artificially enhance or psycho-acoustically create a sense of soundstage through subtle frequency response manipulation, cross feed technology, and the like.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #1,200 of 9,207

Quote:
How does "not enough current" sound?  I am re-thinking my original impressions about the amps I have and their ability to drive these headphones.

Thanks.

If a headphone is under powered, one will typically hear anemic, and lackluster sound, possibly accompanied by occasional clipping on peaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back