Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 1, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #332 of 9,207
As stated earlier, I bet on the V200 after first seeing the specs and then hearing it.  I have heard mixed things about Meiers amps and have only heard one.  That ones particular owner didn't have a high opinion of it either.  I think it was the model before the Concerto though.  That was at Canjam 09.  Didn't sound all that bad to me actually but when an owner complains i worry a bit.  On the other head the owner of the V200 was very happy with his and he had the LCD2 in line.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #333 of 9,207

Quote:
As stated earlier, I bet on the V200 after first seeing the specs and then hearing it.  I have heard mixed things about Meiers amps and have only heard one.  That ones particular owner didn't have a high opinion of it either.  I think it was the model before the Concerto though.  That was at Canjam 09.  Didn't sound all that bad to me actually but when an owner complains i worry a bit.  On the other head the owner of the V200 was very happy with his and he had the LCD2 in line.

Sample sizes of one are dangerous.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #335 of 9,207
So I made my décision : Its going to be the SPL Auditor.

It's incredibely good reputation and its Hi-End specifications are the reasons.

Frequency Response: ‹5 Hz to ›200 kHz (-3 dB)
CMR:-80 dBu (@1 kHz, 0 dBu input level and unity gain)
Crosstalk: -84 dB (@1kHz)
THD: 0,001 % (@ 1kHz, 0 dBu input level and unity gain)
Noise: -97 dBu (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range: 129 dB (@ 600 Ohms Impedance)

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #336 of 9,207
Only problem with that is the power is more on higher impedance.  Still probably enough but isn't the LCD-2 like 52 Ohms?  I would think that you would want that to be the focus of an amp for these phones.

1. Max. Output Performance:
    1. 1,7W (+32,2dBm) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohms connection
    2. 360mW (+25,6dBm) @ 1 kHz and 30 Ohms connection

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #337 of 9,207

Quote:
So I made my décision : Its going to be the SPL Auditor.

Do a search for SPL and "low impedance" headphones. Also, Auditor and short circuit killing several headphones.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #338 of 9,207
Freshprince,

I have the LCD-2 and an Auditor at home at the moment, and the match is definitely not a good one. The Auditor is fairly good for the T1 (used to have it), but again not an ideal match IMO.

Cheers,

Dave

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #339 of 9,207
I agree that the Auditor, or Phonitor for that matter, is more compatible with high impedance ( i.e. >300 Ohms ) headphones.
it is due to their 120 ohms output impedance.

My experience on Phonitor when paired with AKG 702 and JVC 1000 was not a satisfying one.  

I'll presume the LCD-2 would require an amplifier that is capable of providing superb micro dynamic/transient control to unfold the phone's sound potential.  By this an amplifier has to be stable when driving current into low-impedance phones like LCD_2.

Just my 2 cents ...    

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #340 of 9,207
Outch, you all killed my dream
eek.gif

If I understand, it has to be a amp with possibility to change gain according to headphones impedance.

So considering that the T1 and the LCD-2 have different impédance, what should I buy to be happy ?

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #341 of 9,207
It's not just a matter of gain, it's also a matter of the amp's output impedance. When the amp's output impedance is higher than the headphone's impedance, the response is affected. It's not always a bad thing, it's possible that the headphone's FR will change for the better, but often it's bad. I liked this thread, nikongod can give a better explanation than I.

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #342 of 9,207
Thanks Ypoknons.
But It's still sound quite complicated to me.

So in this particular case, the Auditor will work well with T1 and other high impedance cans (like 770/880/990 at 600ohm), but not with the audeze nor cans at 80oms.

Am I correct ?

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #343 of 9,207
... I can't say definitely it'll be bad, but it's a risk. There are negative listening impressions + there is technical reason to believe this combo will be bad, so I'd avoid it if I were you.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #344 of 9,207
Quote:
frenshprince said:

Am I correct ?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497872/my-impression-of-grado-ps1000s-senn-hd800s-w-rsa-b52-amp-question-on-a-good-solid-state-amp-for-these#post_6723849

Quote:
nickchen said:

Hands off the Phonitor. I friend of mine had the SPL Auditor (2 times), and these things killed 5 or 6 headphones (including one T1) in the course of time. They SPL circuits are obviously too "audiophile"... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
nickchen said:

He had bought a 2nd hand (almost new) Auditor, which sounded fine (except high distortion sounds when switching on/off or when pluggin in/out). But soon his cans died, so he sent it to SPL for repair. They officially stated the amp wasn't faulty, but nevertheless sent him a brand new as exchange. That 2nd one worked fine for a couple of weeks, then the HP started to die again (a T1 was also victim BTW). He sent it again to SPL, they said, one Opamp was defective, and they stated that is was a user fault - to slow plugging in and out with too long resulting short circuits.

Normal amps have protective measures for that case, but SPL is audiophile, they state it sounds better without...

They sent him a 3rd one, which he sold directly.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #345 of 9,207
Very few amps let you adjust output impedance. My Trafomatic Head One allows for switching between 30/100/300. I hope to be able to hear it some day too see how much difference it makes... Some have dual inputs one for low z and one for high z.

As for the Auditor it´s a neutral amp with no added warmth or audiophile tricks from my experience. Some like that some doesn´t. In comparison to my GHP I find the T1 being clearly better on the Auditor whereas I preferr the Goldpoint headphone Pro on just about all my low impedance headphones. The Auditor aren´t bad with them but doesn´t quite match up to the Goldpoint I feel. Much due to better impedance matching I suspect. I don´t know how much current the GHP is capable of delivering though I suspect it´s higher then the Auditors.

Both these are really nice neutral amps and thus won´t destroy nothing.
I would die to somehow get to know what current output my Goldpoint headphone Pro has though. But I suspect it has plenty enough because the bass control of it is phenomenal. And I want to believe that both the Pro 900/DX 1000 would be very revealing on sloppy bass :wink:

Auditor can congest a bit with my low impedance headphones just like the T1 can congest on the GHP slightly. It gives more body and "rumble" so some may actually appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back