Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #46 of 9,207

Quote:
"honest"? Could you please elaborate a little further? Honest, as in value? Other?

Honest, as in faithful to the sound, and, I guess, yes, honest as in value too.

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #47 of 9,207
faithful to the sound as in transparent, neutral, little colouration?

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #48 of 9,207
Jun 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #49 of 9,207

So can we assume the LCD-2 requires a high current, rather than a high voltage, amplifier design in order to get the best from it? (I hope that's the correct lingo)

In the solid state camp, has anyone tried any amps from Rudistor or Violectric with the LCD-2?

What was the verdict using the LCD-2 with the Meier models? 

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #50 of 9,207
I felt the LCD-2 sounded very good with the Meier Concerto.

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #53 of 9,207

Quote:

So can we assume the LCD-2 requires a high current, rather than a high voltage, amplifier design in order to get the best from it? (I hope that's the correct lingo)

In the solid state camp, has anyone tried any amps from Rudistor or Violectric with the LCD-2?

Very curious about both the violectric and Rudistors. I thought I had a NX-02 on my way but havent heard from the seller as of late.

As for tubes I am getting a Traformatic Head one. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #54 of 9,207
 I have been researching and reading reviews for a couple of weeks. As of now I have the HD 600's running into a, don't laugh!!, a Kenwood RD-VH7 Class A amp,cd, tuner.  I would like to go tube. So I was thinking about somthing like this:

WA 5 LE
Ayon CD-1S
Audez'e LCD-2

I listen to mostly classic rock and very little metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc). 

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #55 of 9,207

Quote:

Yes, of course it requires high current.  That's what I and a number of others have been saying since day one.  The LCD-2 was very listenable on the Corda Aria and I believe the output of the newer Meier Audio amps have more output than the Aria.  The Aria's biggest shortcoming  is a lack of headroom, but for what it is, it does a good job, albeit being on the verge of being underpowered for the job.

The Corda Symphony.2 and the  Concerto are both rated at 13V@500mA max out, which should be pretty good with the LCD-2.  That's 3.25W @ 26 ohms. I would expect both of those amps to sound great.

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #56 of 9,207
OK - high current headphone amps are the ticket.

KWKARTH: looking at the Corda amps, would it be wise to choose a model without the DAC to keep the signal path pure? I see that the Concerto offers a DAC free solution. If I also wanted a DAC, I could use the Stagedac for a two-box solution. That being said, I wonder if the headphone amp in the Concerto is as good as the one in the Symphony 2?
*** I also just noticed that the Cordas models use Opamps. Hhhmm.

And what of the Rudistor or Violectric models? I can't remember if I've read that they are all high current designs or not.

*** Just found this on the Rudistor site:

[size=10pt]"RPX-[/size][size=10pt]3[/size][size=10pt]00 is a pure Class A amplifier, [/size][size=10pt]working either in balance[/size][size=10pt]d or unbalanced[/size][size=10pt] input and output, or in any combination of them. The high current output, the absolute zero negative feedback (local or global) and the great capability of controlling the transducers make RPX-[/size][size=10pt]3[/size][size=10pt]00 an astonishing transparent and dynamic amp."[/size]

No sign of Opamps in the Rudistor amp either, or are they hiding in there somewhere....

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #57 of 9,207

Quote:
So I have been researching and reading reviews for a couple of weeks. As of now I have the HD 600's running into a, don't laugh!!, a Kenwood RD-VH7 Class A amp,cd, tuner. I have always wanted to move up in audio. My wife and I are dept free!! So I decided to move up. I would like to go tube. So I was thinking about somthing like this:

WA 5 LE
Ayon CD-1S
Audez'e LCD-2

I listen to mostly classic rock and very little metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc). I like things to be simple, so I can just relax and enjoy the music.

to be perfectly honest, I was underwhelmed by most everything Woo had at CanJam with the exception of the WA2 which, as nbourbaki brought to my attention, had crazy good synergy with the Beyer T1...they had many headphones available to try with their amps, but not the LCD-2...some did take the LCD-2 over to that room, however...

if you're ready to spend that kinda money, why not try the Liquid Fire or one of the Eddie Current models?...

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #58 of 9,207
One, the Concerto is a revised upgraded Symphony... two, the RPX-300 is 2700 to the Concerto 670.  It had better be better.

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #59 of 9,207

Quote:
OK - high current headphone amps are the ticket.

KWKARTH: looking at the Corda amps, would it be wise to choose a model without the DAC to keep the signal path pure? I see that the Concerto offers a DAC free solution. If I also wanted a DAC, I could use the Stagedac for a two-box solution. That being said, I wonder if the headphone amp in the Concerto is as good as the one in the Symphony 2?
*** I also just noticed that the Cordas models use Opamps. Hhhmm.

And what of the Rudistor or Violectric models? I can't remember if I've read that they are all high current designs or not.

*** Just found this on the Rudistor site:

[size=10pt]"RPX-[/size][size=10pt]3[/size][size=10pt]00 is a pure Class A amplifier, [/size][size=10pt]working either in balance[/size][size=10pt]d or unbalanced[/size][size=10pt] input and output, or in any combination of them. The high current output, the absolute zero negative feedback (local or global) and the great capability of controlling the transducers make RPX-[/size][size=10pt]3[/size][size=10pt]00 an astonishing transparent and dynamic amp."[/size]

No sign of Opamps in the Rudistor amp either, or are they hiding in there somewhere....

Just because an amp has an integrated DAC, doesn't mean you have to use it.  It becomes a switchable input like anything else.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #60 of 9,207

Quote:

to be perfectly honest, I was underwhelmed by most everything Woo had at CanJam with the exception of the WA2 which, as nbourbaki brought to my attention, had crazy good synergy with the Beyer T1...they had many headphones available to try with their amps, but not the LCD-2...some did take the LCD-2 over to that room, however...

if you're ready to spend that kinda money, why not try the Liquid Fire or one of the Eddie Current models?...

I just came from Eddie Current's site. The Zana Deux is nice, and I have heard that the Cavalli Liquid Fire is a good match for the LCD-2. Any word on when the Liquid Fire will be available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back