Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #8,356 of 9,207

Do EQ. There good EQ software out there.

as if i dont know that there good eq softwares out there, but sometimes i just liuke to do it on the go without the hassle of a software, old style knobs

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #8,359 of 9,207
Hello I bought back a LCD2, now that I have that with Fazor use with amp / dac WOO AUDIO WA7;
My main source is iMac 27 "retina with Audirvana plus, now I want to try another type of solid state amplification maybe even balanced, I would use an amplifier without DAC because my Lector Digitube 192.
What do you recommend ?
thank you

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #8,360 of 9,207
  Hello I bought back a LCD2, now that I have that with Fazor use with amp / dac WOO AUDIO WA7;
My main source is iMac 27 "retina with Audirvana plus, now I want to try another type of solid state amplification maybe even balanced, I would use an amplifier without DAC because my Lector Digitube 192.
What do you recommend ?
thank you

My reference bal amp is the Bryston BHA-1. 
It was excellent with my LCD-2.2. Silver Dragon cable.

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #8,361 of 9,207
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg

The 31 band EQ in foobar is good. I tried using electriQ but after some time came to the conclusion it is more hassle than gain.

I realized that pretty quick to be honest ...

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #8,362 of 9,207
Waddup guys!

Doing a lot of reading lately on amplifiers since I recently purchased an LCD2-F.  It seems that generally, planar headphones require a lot more current than voltage.  I currently have the Element from JDSLabs which puts out around 1.1W @ 32 ohms.  Would I be better off with something like the Lyr 2 which puts out 6W @ 32ohms?  Would it make that much of a difference in terms of audible improvements?

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #8,363 of 9,207
That means you're getting about 500mW into the LCD-2, which is the minimum of what I recommend for the Fazor version. I say stick with the gear, you can always try new stuff later :).

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #8,365 of 9,207
So with a medium power amplifier, would the fazor actually work out having more bass and sounding better than the original 2.2 non fazor?

For example 500mw powering the fazor vs 500mw powering the non fazor....

Usually more power = better bass, so if the fazor is getting the recommended power vs the non fazor getting under the recommended power, would the fazor sound better at 500mw vs the non fazor which is recommended 1w ? (talking about the amount of bass)

Trying to decide if I want the 2.2 or the fazor, my amp would be approx 500mw with the LCD2, the fazor apparently have less bass, but also have a lower amp requirement. Do the non-fazor LCD2 lose bass response when underpowered? So the fazor version would actually be better with 500mw?

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #8,367 of 9,207
  More power often translates into better, effortless control of the drivers. As compared to less power.

Yeh and also low power often = weak bass, so with a 500mw amp I don't know if I would actually be better off with the fazor as they have 1/2 the amp requirement. Non fazer are supposed to have more bass, but what about an underpowered 2.2 vs a fazor with 500mw?

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #8,368 of 9,207

Yeh and also low power often = weak bass, so with a 500mw amp I don't know if I would actually be better off with the fazor as they have 1/2 the amp requirement. Non fazer are supposed to have more bass, but what about an underpowered 2.2 vs a fazor with 500mw?

My "policy" when I first acquired gear for my floor system was to assess my future upgrade requirements -- asking myself, if I upgrade my speakers later on, would my amps be deficient for driving them? So, having the means, I went for a high-wattage power amp that would not only drive my current spkrs but would leave me with plenty of room for future spkr u.g. For me, there's no such thing as "too much power". It's good to have plenty in reserve.  I might apply that to HPs, but to a less extreme degree. You should audition the amp with your LCD, before making a decision, especially if the amp is a pricey one. But there are lots of excellent amps that can drive the LCD to satisfying musicality.

Note edit: I've used LCD-2.2 pre-faz, with Soloist and BHA-1. I have not used the fazors, nor an amp that might be regarded as "under-powered".

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #8,369 of 9,207
500mW ain't underpowered - it's just the low side of what you need for 120dB peaks - so you're already good to go with overhead. Claims about power and bass response aren't founded in anything scientific, so it's either the amp or loudness curves working that magic.

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #8,370 of 9,207

The bass isn't necessarily weaker with lower power, but it will distort or clip sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back