Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Apr 25, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #7,936 of 9,207
  I'm sure you didn't intend so, but this sounds a bit condescending.
I'm already well on my journey through audiophilia sickness; it started over 20 years ago. I play in a small ensemble and attend local concerts regularly, so I know well what the real thing sounds like. And I've made high quality recordings of natural acoustic music in various rooms (I use a balanced pair of Rode NT1-As) so I know what the live mic feed sounds like in different rooms, at different distance and mic configurations.
And there is no need to improve my audio chain. I certainly can recognize the difference between these headphones - I simply prefer the 2F over the others. I'm fortunate to have no budget limitations so price is not a factor. It sounds like you have a hard time understanding that - you seem to think my preference for the 2F must be due to lack of knowledge or insufficient equipment. Yet it's simply due to preference. I don't disparage the X, 3F or other headphones; they are fine headphones and I understand why some people prefer them to the 2F. Yet I know what the real thing sounds like and the 2F sounds closest to that to me. You prefer the X or 3F. I describe why, you describe why and we all learn something and have fun.

Apologies, although I realize now it does, I didn't mean this to sound condescending. It just came out this way. And the last paragraph was a joke, which reflected my personal experience, though vastly exaggerated. :) Different people, different sense of humor!

Okay, I get it now. Indeed I had hard time understanding the point you were trying to make. To me the X and 3F are better than the 2F in every concievable way, with the X sounding most neutral to my ears. I took it for granted everyone would see it this way, if they had good enough audio chain. I understand now your preference for the 2F isn't a result of insufficient knowledge or audio chain shortcomings. Even though I cannot comprehend what makes you prefer the 2F, I respect your choice now. Like I said in a previous post, listen to an audio system that you truly enjoy, nothing else matters.

Regards,
Mario

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #7,938 of 9,207
  My BHA-1 just came in, and it really sounds amazing with the LCD-2. BHA-1/Gungnir is a major step up from my Magni/Modi in terms of sound quality. I'm pretty sure this will be my end game setup for quite a while.

What's the biggest improvement for you?

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #7,939 of 9,207
  What's the biggest improvement for you?

I've only been listening for 2 days now, but my initial impressions are:

- The bass feels cleaner and more precise, while still being just as powerful if not more so.
- Greater dynamic range.

There may be other factors at play; I don't know a whole ton about audio or music theory. It is definitely quite a bit more enjoyable to listen to, though.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #7,940 of 9,207

I have definitely read the reviews of the BHA-1, and it's certainly tempting. I know it's a great amp. But I also read many complaints about sizzling treble when in use with bright headphones.

Of course, I do have the option of EQing some of the treble down, but it would feel kind of wrong to spend well over $2000 on, say, the HD 800, BHA-1, and some DAC, and then artificially neuter it. I do obviously want to optimize my listening experience with the LCD-2, but amps are pricey enough that I don't want to buy this now and then have to go and throw down another $1000-2000 on another amp while also spending $1000-2000 on another pair of headphones.

I am willing to give it a shot; it might be a long time before I buy a different pair of headphones. It's also quite possible the HD 800 is simply not for me (though I have not auditioned it yet, so can't be sure) and should be avoided.

What balanced DAC would you recommend with the BHA-1, preferably under $1500 (and honestly, preferably a lot cheaper than that even, but I'll spend that much if necessary)?

If you can get a chance to audition a semi-expensive DAC you'll notice the difference over something like a Schiit Bifrost almost instantly.   At least that was my experience with the Antelope Zodiac that I own now.  I had no business buying one, I'm in debt as a result, but I'm in love with it.   I can recommend the Lyr 2 as well if you're into the thought of valves, you can roll different tubes to suit the headphone or style of music.  I have some cheapo tubes that service metal beautifully and another expensive set that work wonderfully with electronic, jazz, classical / anything else.  But heavily evangelize the not oft mentioned Antelope Zodiac.  I tested it out at B&H in NYC, never heard of it, had no intent of buying one.  Just floored me when I was demoing Audeze cans.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #7,941 of 9,207
Of course I just notice you bought a BHA-1 and Schiit DAC - lol

I'm looking to upgrade to a BHA-1, been in love with Bryston since I was a kid aspiring to be an audiophile.  Let me know what you think!

Good luck with them, enjoy!

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #7,942 of 9,207
i was wondering which is the best for money amp with bass adjustment for audeze lcd2 that is very warn and great great bass punch, that i can connect it to my ifi micro dsd , 

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #7,943 of 9,207
i was wondering which is the best for money amp with bass adjustment for audeze lcd2 that is very warn and great great bass punch, that i can connect it to my ifi micro dsd , 

Did you try the iFi micro iCAN?

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #7,944 of 9,207

If he already has the micro idsd, why bother with the micro ican? From what I remember, I'm fairly certain they have very similar amps, right?

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #7,945 of 9,207
If he already has the micro idsd, why bother with the micro ican? From what I remember, I'm fairly certain they have very similar amps, right?

Different. The iFi micro iCAN is Class A amp. And it has 3D and XBass switches that he's looking for. Desktop amp though (not portable).

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #7,946 of 9,207
  Of course I just notice you bought a BHA-1 and Schiit DAC - lol

I'm looking to upgrade to a BHA-1, been in love with Bryston since I was a kid aspiring to be an audiophile.  Let me know what you think!

Good luck with them, enjoy!

I'm not sure how much the DAC is contributing vs. the amp, but either way the combo is excellent. It's like night and day compared to the Magni/Modi. I was not expecting such a stark change by only switching the DAC and amp with the same headphones. The LCD-2 feels like it's at its full potential now, and the sound quality is better than I imagined and hoped it would be.

I've noticed it really shines best when the BHA-1 pot is at or past the 8 o'clock point. I can't articulate it very well, but it just sounds "right". Everything feels extremely impactful, both highs and lows. Transparency is improved quite a bit too: I am noticing several new things in songs. Only exception to the impactfulness improvement is the upper highs, but that's just a given for the LCD-2, and is what I prefer.

All that said, this is the only high end combo I have tried yet; I've only had lower and mid end cans and gear until now. You may want to take what I say with a grain of salt. So there certainly might be a better combo out there for the LCD-2, though I can't imagine how it would improve from this.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #7,947 of 9,207
Different. The iFi micro iCAN is Class A amp. And it has 3D and XBass switches that he's looking for. Desktop amp though (not portable).

Guess I missed that part about the class A vs class A/B. Though, the iDSD does have the 3D and XBass switches too. Looking briefly at the specs of the iCan and the iDSD, it also appears that the iDSD outputs more power at 32 ohms (though, I may just be reading that wrong).

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #7,948 of 9,207

I have the ifi micro dsd, I think I need something more powerful, and besides I am already using alo mk3 B with the ifi micro, so I do not think that ifi ican will be more powerful or better than my current setup

ifi micro dsd---- alo mk3 B--- audeze lce2

unless the ifi ican is way more powerful than the alo mk3 B

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #7,949 of 9,207
I have the ifi micro dsd, I think I need something more powerful, and besides I am already using alo mk3 B with the ifi micro, so I do not think that ifi ican will be more powerful or better than my current setup

ifi micro dsd---- alo mk3 B--- audeze lce2

unless the ifi ican is way more powerful than the alo mk3 B

Why do you need more power? LCD-2.2 only needs 80mW/2Vrms, LCD-2F needs only 51mW/1.9Vrms to reach 110dB. The iFi micro iCAN is 400mW at 32 ohms.

It's a Class "A" amp, so it would definitely be more warm and analogue/like. Plus has both 3D and XtraBass (2 levels up) switches. Haven't you heard it?

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #7,950 of 9,207
Why do you need more power? LCD-2.2 only needs 80mW/2Vrms, LCD-2F needs only 51mW/1.9Vrms to reach 110dB. The iFi micro iCAN is 400mW at 32 ohms.

It's a Class "A" amp, so it would definitely be more warm and analogue/like. Plus has both 3D and XtraBass (2 levels up) switches. Haven't you heard it?

is the ifi micro ican more powerful than alo mk3 B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back