Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #7,697 of 9,207
Well I didn't explore too many options before I got a Decware, but read a lot of accounts of what others were enjoying.

Of those I personally tried, Matsushiita (National) 6922 tubes were something of a revelation. About $40 each, MacedonianHero first put me on to them. He described them as having a "wonderful, earthy" quality with nice bass. I found they had clarity and tone and yes nice bass. They had sparkle but it was their layer and texture lower down that worked well with my LCD2r1. Not syrupy like some; not boring (lacking dynamics) like others.

All these qualities yet I think most in the Lyr tube rollers thread saw these as pretty much entry level!

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #7,698 of 9,207
  I just received my Schiit Lyr, man... I've never enjoyed my time with my LCD-2's this much.

I previously had an O2 + ODAC, and I feel as if the Lyr made the soundstage better, and the bass more resonant + present.

My friends are obsessed with double blind tests, and measurements + placebo effect etc, and won't shutup about telling me it's in my head + o2 measures better and without blind tests I can't say it sounds better.
(Even though it does to me, which is all I care about)

I understand measurements etc are important, but I prefer my personal opinion + preferences and enjoying my hobby over measurements.

Great stuff!! I couldn't agree more with you statements. Unfortunately for me it never seems to end looking for that next jewel. I guess that is what keeps the HOBBY alive. Enjoy your music!!!

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #7,699 of 9,207
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/221772-calculating-audeze-lcd-2s-power-requirement-vs-o2/#entry3039796

I really don't agree with this, my experience with the Objective 2 disagrees with these findings IMO.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #7,700 of 9,207
  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/221772-calculating-audeze-lcd-2s-power-requirement-vs-o2/#entry3039796

I really don't agree with this, my experience with the Objective 2 disagrees with these findings IMO.

Whether you agree or disagree is irrelevant as it is purely a subjective experience in what we enjoy. It is great that you enjoy the Objective 2. Enough said. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #7,702 of 9,207
Experiencing clipping and distortion at high volumes is not subjective and I didn't have an enjoyable experience with it because of those reasons

That must have been very disappointing. I am fortunate as I enjoy the even order harmonic distortion my tube setup affords and that is subjective. Some would say, based on measurements and techno babble, that this is not in holding with the purest notion of music reproduction but I think it has been adequately demonstrated that we are unable to recreate the original music event to perfection because there are too many variables in the reproduction chain. Why else would we have so many different brands, models and  technologies, available on the consumer market, in pursuit of attaining this state of nirvana. Read all of the different reviews and how they praise the virtues of each component from cables to modifications. If that isn't subjective I certainly need to redefine the word.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #7,703 of 9,207
Experiencing clipping and distortion at high volumes is not subjective and I didn't have an enjoyable experience with it because of those reasons

That must have been some seriously loud listening. I had clipping once on the o2, but it stopped when I reduced the volume in windows. Realised high gain was selected on o2. Turned the gain to lowest and put windows back to full. I guess high gain is only for low output sources. Never heard clipping again after that.

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #7,704 of 9,207
Is the Lyr 2 and LCD-2 Fazor still the most popular combo?  
And is the Vali sufficient for the LCD-2 Fazor?

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #7,705 of 9,207
Schiit website says the vali isn't great with orthos or other hard to drive headphones so no you should stick with the lyr

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #7,707 of 9,207
When did the Lyr2/LCD2F become the most popular combo? Did I miss the news flash? Seriously, has there been a poll or something?

And yep, Vali has never previously been recommended with orthos. Don't know whether the altered impedances of the F-series changes this though :confused:

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #7,708 of 9,207
That was long ago (many years ago), poll.  When the Lyr was one of the few amps that power the hard to drive LCD-2 rev.1. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #7,709 of 9,207
Gotcha. There's been a lot of good options since, including Lyr 2, Mjolnir and now (it seems) Ragnarok just to focus on the Schiit stable.

Might be the fazor versions require a re-think about LCD/amp combos because of the greater apparent brightness and improved sound-stage...(speculating...)

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #7,710 of 9,207
And less power requirements, which is why I want to try the Bottlehead S.E.X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back