Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 26, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #7,711 of 9,207
I have been enjoying both ALO Continental and RSA Intruder on my LCD 2.2 with the later being a little better.

Intruder has got very good power even on low gain but I'd like to use high gain since I feel LCD responses a lot better with more power and it gives tighter bass respond, wider and more pronounce sound stage. It also has this smooth, airy and open sound like a sea breeze with deep punchy bass. Overall, I am very happy with the pairing so far but..that's not it. It is just the tip of the iceberg because it's all done on a single ended output.
On balance, Intruder becomes a different beast and does everything with bigger sound and more authority. At least that's what people swear on the the thread as I'm still waiting for my balance cable from Headphone Lounge....Hi Ted!

Long story short, I struck a very good deal on ALO MK3-B and this thing....OMG!!!
It is EVERYTHING I ever want on this hobby. Pairing it with LCD is simply S T U N N I N G.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #7,712 of 9,207
I heard the RSA stuff tends to be on the dark side, would that be correct ? I love that style, but all the planar micro-detail goodness style streams through !

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #7,714 of 9,207
  Just the Opposite.

My RSA Dark Star is quite bright.  That's why it mates with the LCD so well.

Ah yeah the big boy monster amp....but I thought generally the portables had this dark top-grade SQ to them ?

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #7,715 of 9,207
When did the Lyr2/LCD2F become the most popular combo? Did I miss the news flash? Seriously, has there been a poll or something?

And yep, Vali has never previously been recommended with orthos. Don't know whether the altered impedances of the F-series changes this though
confused.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716576/head-fis-favourite-amp-for-the-audeze-lcd-2-200-1000-poll

thinking I was referring to this one.  

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #7,716 of 9,207
I'd forgotten about that poll! Needed more votes, lots of uncontrolled variables but it certainly found the 'big 3' (Lyr, Mjolnir, V200) of recent years.

One caveat with the Lyr and presumably Lyr2 is that better tubes make a profound difference compared to stock. I bet most of those votes were with other tubes! Lyr is very responsive to tube-rolling (Lyr tube rolling thread).

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #7,717 of 9,207
Just placed an order for the Lyr 2.  I'm hoping: Lyr + Vali = Lyr 2.
Vali microdyanamics and Lyr macrodynamics both togeter in Lyr 2.  

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #7,719 of 9,207
AFAIK Vali was never meant for orthos. Decware have a similar division: CSP amp/preamp for dynamics and Taboo for orthos.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #7,723 of 9,207

Vali was a weird match with LCD2. The high frequencies were brilliant, but bass was loose and wet. Overall it had a smooth, but cold sound to it.

The Mjolnir is a far better match for LCD2 though the fireworks may be fatiguing in the long run.I like it a lot for short-term listening with exciting music.

Tried one for a few days. The treble was great. The anemic bass and thin mid range was not nice to listen to though.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #7,724 of 9,207

Tried one for a few days. The treble was great. The anemic bass and thin mid range was not nice to listen to though.

I had the same problem. Three things solved the problem.

First do not use any power conditioner, especially small ones. Use the AC plug directly.

I threw away the stock power cord, replaced it with a big, fat WireWorld power cord and connect it directly to the wall AC: the bass mproved.

Also to get the best bass, you must use the balanced output (XLR connector), not the SE output (1/4" plug. What did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back