Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 11, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #7,652 of 9,207
i couldn't agree with you more, I am just staging my upgrade path, am now saving for the Auralic stack =)

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #7,653 of 9,207

I guess I don't understand the interest in the expensive dedicated headphone amp route. I have gone that path and gotten reasonable results which sounded pretty good and quite enjoyable. But this path has come nowhere near the sound from a full power amp equipped with a proper voltage divider network. My first experience was with a 10 watt/ch Sophia Electric and my LCD's. I picked up the Sophia for $350.00 and they can be had for less. The voltage divider cost me about $300.00 to build. You can buy a prebuilt Robinette Box for about $75.00 $100.00. This blew me right out of my chair. I could not believe what I was hearing. I have had a $75,000.00 full stereo setup that could not touch this setup.
Audeze states that the LCD 2 can withstand 15watts of instantaneous power for milliseconds but they recommend between 3-5 watts of power. Remember that amp manufacturers quote their rated power output into certain loads. For example 10 watts into 8 ohms will only give you approximately 1.5 watts into 53 ohms but does that make those LCD's sing. I find the LCD's very warm and this is accented more by using tubes. I tried the Musical Fidelity M1HPA which is supposed to put out 1.1 watts into 32ohms. Still a bit underpowered for the LCD's.
People worry about the noise floor coming off the speaker taps and not having enough volume control to work with. The voltage divider network solves both these problems. The Sophia was dead quiet and I could max the LCD's out at about 10 o'clock on the volume. A good class A biased solid state would sound good as well.

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #7,654 of 9,207

I guess I don't understand the interest in the expensive dedicated headphone amp route. I have gone that path and gotten reasonable results which sounded pretty good and quite enjoyable. But this path has come nowhere near the sound from a full power amp equipped with a proper voltage divider network. My first experience was with a 10 watt/ch Sophia Electric and my LCD's. I picked up the Sophia for $350.00 and they can be had for less. The voltage divider cost me about $300.00 to build. You can buy a prebuilt Robinette Box for about $75.00 $100.00. This blew me right out of my chair. I could not believe what I was hearing. I have had a $75,000.00 full stereo setup that could not touch this setup.
Audeze states that the LCD 2 can withstand 15watts of instantaneous power for milliseconds but they recommend between 3-5 watts of power. Remember that amp manufacturers quote their rated power output into certain loads. For example 10 watts into 8 ohms will only give you approximately 1.5 watts into 53 ohms but does that make those LCD's sing. I find the LCD's very warm and this is accented more by using tubes. I tried the Musical Fidelity M1HPA which is supposed to put out 1.1 watts into 32ohms. Still a bit underpowered for the LCD's.
People worry about the noise floor coming off the speaker taps and not having enough volume control to work with. The voltage divider network solves both these problems. The Sophia was dead quiet and I could max the LCD's out at about 10 o'clock on the volume. A good class A biased solid state would sound good as well.

The divider network cost me $30.00 not $300.00. Sorry.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #7,655 of 9,207

Have you moved onto another setup now? I tried that Music Angel sophia copy that was talked about... lasted 3 days before left channel burnt out and sounded like crap before that anyway, harsh mids and no lowend grunt at all. I'd love to try a proper Sophia Electric, but I'm looking for something similar in the UK instead. This one from Icon Audio seems similar http://www.iconaudio.com/portfolio-item/stereo-20-pp/ what do you reckon?

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #7,656 of 9,207

I regret selling my Sophia Electric baby so much. This is a sick hobby, always willing to try something new hoping it will be better. I am using a Cayin A88T amp with my LCD 2 right now and love it but there is something I miss about that Baby. It was just so tonally correct, musical and had bass you wouldn't believe. I am tempted again as there is one listed on Audio Asylum Trade right now for $400.00. The Icon looks very nice and the EL84 has a sound close to the 6P1T but I am not familiar with the EC83 drivers. The Sophia had the option of the 2C51, 396A or 5670 as drivers. I liked the tubes supplied by Sophia the best. The Icon is modelled after the Leak 20 that still gets rave reviews. I wouldn't count on using the headphone output on the PP20 though. They are made for easy to drive IEM's and such and will not drive the LCD properly. It needs the power and to get that you need to use the speaker taps. Good luck.

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #7,657 of 9,207
Hope I find something soon or I'm selling the LCD2s. I havent had much luck:

V200 - too muddy
Little Dot i+ - too small soundstage
Soloist - too dead
Decware Taboo Mkiii - too broken
Little Dot mkiii - too weak
Mjolnir - too thin and bass light

Considering people call the LCD2 an amp person, it seems very hard find a suitable one.
If I could combine the V200s vivid colour + the Soloists bass Solidity + the LD MKiiis soundstage and warmth + the Mjolnirs sparkle, I think i'd be onto a winner lol

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #7,658 of 9,207
Even my 2r1 clearly reveals amp differences (V100 much as you describe V200 btw) and most I tried not great. Hardly an amp person then.

It's a shame the Taboo III didn't survive the crossing :frowning2:

Have you tried/considered the Meier Classic? Although if the Mjo didn't work for you not sure the Classic would...

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #7,659 of 9,207

You are listing some pretty big gun headphone amps. I don't know a lot about the spec's on them but most reviews praise them. Have you ever experienced what you are expecting, before with any other gear. I think that most tube amps biased in class A have more options available for creating different outputs via tube rolling and sometimes coupling cap changes. I like the paper in oil caps for their smoothness. For me the trick is to find one that can put out at least 5 watts into the Audeze's impedance load. I found the EL84 based amps really hit the mark but am also enjoying the 6550/KT88 tubes as well. It can be a bit expensive but great fidelity usually is. Think about giving a tube amp a try using the speaker tap outputs with a voltage divider network. I think you will find the overall cost in line with what you have listed in your post. Those are not cheap pieces of equipment.

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #7,660 of 9,207
Hope I find something soon or I'm selling the LCD2s. I havent had much luck:

V200 - too muddy
Little Dot i+ - too small soundstage
Soloist - too dead
Decware Taboo Mkiii - too broken
Little Dot mkiii - too weak
Mjolnir - too thin and bass light

Considering people call the LCD2 an amp person, it seems very hard find a suitable one.
If I could combine the V200s vivid colour + the Soloists bass Solidity + the LD MKiiis soundstage and warmth + the Mjolnirs sparkle, I think i'd be onto a winner lol

Some EQ really helps the LCD's. Its the only reason i have kept mine. I use a vintage receiver.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #7,661 of 9,207
AiDee, the mjolnir was surprising, I did like it. It was smoother than I'd expected and the top end sounded
very refined. After seeing it branded a dynamics monster, I was just expecting bass impact similar to the V200
only a bit cleaner, but in a comparison it was actually a bit less than my o2 amp.

Kahldog, I've experienced part of what I'm after and that might be the problem. LCD2s with V200 or my Naim
speaker amp had this full effortless tone. An extra presence and depth to sounds that seems to come from having
lots of power to spare. I've been trying to find that with a bit more treble extension and better soundstage.
V281 could be the ticket, but I'd prefer something from UK really.

Rated1975, what is your eq curve like?

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #7,662 of 9,207
i am sure it must have been said before? but anyone who overlooks the "project ember" wants their lumps feeling, imho.

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #7,663 of 9,207
Some EQ really helps the LCD's. Its the only reason i have kept mine. I use a vintage receiver.

i am sure that is true but why not try a correction filter to give a true "flat response"?

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #7,664 of 9,207
Poladise,

I have a couple more amps you could try.  Try a beta22, that is what I used to run my LCD2's on also try a head-amp GSX-MKII.  Beta's are pretty easy to get your  hands on and but the GSX can be a bit difficult.  

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #7,665 of 9,207

Based on what you have told me tubes will give you more air and soundstage. I always found SS a bit compressed but I am reluctant to say anything negative about them. It is all in your preference. I am just burning in a set of Svetlana winged C 6550C made in the St Petersburg plant. At first I was so sure  but that always happens when putting a new set of tubes in an amp. As they open up I am starting to experience more of what I had with the Sophia. It just grabs your soul and won't let go. The only thing I can compare it too is butterflies in your stomach but that is just a close example. I was listening to Steve Ray Vaughan's "Tin Pan Alley" and it is difficult to hear the cymbals in the opening part of the track. Wow they are coming through loud and clear. I'd say go for the tube PP-20. The EL84 is a super sounding tube. Good luck. Let me know how you make out as I am dying to hear. Don't give up on the Audeze as I don't think there is anything better out there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back