Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #7,516 of 9,207
  I have the same model LCD-2 as you. I am using a Meier Corda Jazz. Look it up on the reviews section of this site and you'll find it's an superb amp - it sounds great and also has excellent meaurements. Cost was $415 as of a few months ago. It's comparable to the best amps at 3+ times its price.

What's the output wattage at 70 ohms? I'm not sure it says on the spec-sheet what the output wattage is, all I see is "power uptake"

Maybe I'm blind though :3

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #7,517 of 9,207
When I asked Jan Meier this question, he said the Jazz can output 300 mA / 15 V as peak power and can easily cruise along at 500 mW continuous power.

I've read that 25% efficiency is a rough general guide for class A biased amps like the Jazz. With power uptake of 5W, that would give 1.25W continuous power, making Jan's 500 mW estimate very conservatively low for distortion-free continuous power.

500 mW into an LCD-2 fazer is 120 dB SPL, enough to melt your skull and cause permanent hearing damage. The Jazz has an electronically actuated ladder stepped attenuator volume control (no potentiometer in the signal path), so it has virtually perfect channel balance and no noise or distortion throughout the entire range of the knob.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #7,518 of 9,207
Jan does indeed quote conservatively. Unfortunate as there is a tendency on head-fi to say orthos need "moar power" :rolleyes:

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #7,520 of 9,207
Hi, a friend was asking for something in the $2k range for LCD-2s...what would be about the best at that price range ?

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #7,521 of 9,207
I have heard the LCD-2's and Woo Audio amps go well together.  I am thinking of pairing LCD-2's with a Woo Audio WA6.

I have this combo and they work well together. The WA6 can certainly drive the LCD-2 but with my Rev1 the sound was a bit too dull in the treble region and there was a little less dynamics than I would like. I prefer my Fiio A1 with the LCD-2 than the WA6 but not by much, I mean we're splitting hairs and if I'm causally listening to music while doing other things there is no way I would hear a difference.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #7,522 of 9,207
Yea I have heard the LCD-2's sound signature is somewhat rolled off in the treble.  I figure rolling some tubes with the WA6 could be interesting.  Maybe tubes with a clear, detailed sound characteristic?  I'm going off on a tangent here, but tube rolling can be fun.  I wouldn't try overly warm sounding tubes with this combo though.  Probably too much of a good thing.  

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #7,525 of 9,207
  Hi, a friend was asking for something in the $2k range for LCD-2s...what would be about the best at that price range ?

Is there a reason he wants to spend $2k on an amp? The LCD-2 is an easy headphone to drive (purely resistive, highish impedance, good efficiency). For half that price or less you can get an amp capable of driving the LCD-2 at any volume your ears can withstand, with complete sonic transparency. By "sonic transparency" I mean all forms of distortion well below audible thresholds.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #7,527 of 9,207
I have in the past owned a Violectric V200($1000 new) with a set of LCD-2's and found it to be an amazing combination,regretting selling that combo so much that I just re-purchased again.Hope that magic it had together is not lost with the new LCD-2 fazor that I am waiting for to be delivered
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #7,528 of 9,207

Is there a reason he wants to spend $2k on an amp? The LCD-2 is an easy headphone to drive (purely resistive, highish impedance, good efficiency). For half that price or less you can get an amp capable of driving the LCD-2 at any volume your ears can withstand, with complete sonic transparency. By "sonic transparency" I mean all forms of distortion well below audible thresholds.

He just wanted a tip for a DAC/amp at entry-level and stuff higher up as well. Right now I'm only familiar with entry-level stuff...sub-$500.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #7,529 of 9,207
Jul 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #7,530 of 9,207

He just wanted a tip for a DAC/amp at entry-level and stuff higher up as well. Right now I'm only familiar with entry-level stuff...sub-$500.

Ah, a DAC+amp, not just an amp. That does bump the price a bit higher.
The Benchmark DAC-1 and Grace m902 or m903 are both what I would consider well designed, well built from high quality parts, reference quality and sonically transparent.
By "sonically transparent" I don't mean to imply they sound exactly the same... but both being well designed for clean, neutral, transparent response, with measurable distortion below audible levels, they can't help but sound similar, even if not identical.
If he's looking for something different, like that tubiliciuos sound, that's a whole 'nuther thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back