Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 26, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #7,561 of 9,207
Has anyone tried the auralic taurus mk II with the lcd 2.2 (pre-fazor)? I'm sure somewhere in these over 500 pages there is a post or two, but I have no clue which page, and can't spend the next 12 hours searching lol. Plus some new opinions would be nice since now in that price range we will soon have ragnarok, and in a few weeks the new violectric amps. So I'm curious what people think of the auralic in general, as there is not much talk about it on here, at least in comparisons that is. So far I'm leaning towards the new violectric v281, and for anyone that knows the youtuber/head-fi member HeadphoneAddictdotcom, he had the original taurus mk II and felt it was a bit bright with the lcd 2 rev 1, and preferred the v200. I have tried my lcds out of a burson soloist sl, and found it pushed the mids too far back, as well as dulled the treble/the overall sound, and was not powerful enough (had to turn the volume on high gain to about 2 and it felt lacking still). I feel that I have a similar sound preference to him, as well as to Tyll. Love detail, love bass, love mids, love thickness, but also a good solidity and edge. which is why for now I feel like the violectric amps seem like the right fit, plus all the great reviews. But I dont want to disregard something like the Auralic when it is used so often as most reviewer's reference/nearly flawless in most of its reviews. If anyone with a similar sound preference to myself, and as I mentioned above, has heard violectric amps and the taurus mk II, I'd love to hear what you thought of the differences and if you had to pick one to stick with for a whilst (they are pricey after all) which one would it be and why? And of course in context of being paired the lcd 2 pre-fazor (I got mine september 2013).

Thanks in advance! :)

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #7,562 of 9,207
There are v200 v181 clones on taobao.com from Accurate Audio A200 + A181. I might give one a whirl for fun as they are 1/4 Violectric price. Side-by-side ignoring branding, they look almost the same. Of course the best way is to  AB Violectic side-by-side.

Internal layout same anyway from open top comparison. If it sounds as good, it opens some higher end DAC choices with the savings at 1/4 of Violectric prices.
Balanced A181 below

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #7,563 of 9,207
  There are v200 v181 clones on taobao.com from Accurate Audio A200 + A181. I might give one a whirl for fun as they are 1/4 Violectric price. Side-by-side ignoring branding, they look almost the same. Of course the best way is to  AB Violectic side-by-side.

Internal layout same anyway from open top comparison. If it sounds as good, it opens some higher end DAC choices with the savings at 1/4 of Violectric prices.
Balanced A181 below

Do they ship to the US? think it has the same components, and would it work with a standard US power cord? 

I'm actually debating buying one if so.

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #7,564 of 9,207
u need to buy through a shipping proxy such as taobaofocus.com + 10% for them and reasonable onward shipping.
I got a set of cans that way. They would let you choose your voltage 115/230.

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #7,565 of 9,207
Jul 27, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #7,566 of 9,207
Jul 27, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #7,567 of 9,207
Ive read many times that this clone is not as good / famous as the Matrix clone of the Lehmann. This one does not sound and power as the Violectric stuff at all, its just similar casing, different sounding.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #7,568 of 9,207
  Ive read many times that this clone is not as good / famous as the Matrix clone of the Lehmann. This one does not sound and power as the Violectric stuff at all, its just similar casing, different sounding.

What's different about them, are the components different?  The internals look sooooooooooooo similar.  Perhaps the same thing, but placebo saying it doesn't sound as good because of the price?

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #7,571 of 9,207
Looking for something relatively cheap to power the LCD 2 I just ordered. I have been looking at the O2/ODAC or a Schiit amp and eventually a DAC upgrade further down the road. If I don't get a combo then I'll be using an Aune T1 until I get more money to upgrade the DAC. I'm looking at spending $200-$300

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #7,572 of 9,207
  Looking for something relatively cheap to power the LCD 2 I just ordered. I have been looking at the O2/ODAC or a Schiit amp and eventually a DAC upgrade further down the road. If I don't get a combo then I'll be using an Aune T1 until I get more money to upgrade the DAC. I'm looking at spending $200-$300

O2/ODAC. +1
JDS Labs C5 is also good.
http://www.headphonebar.com/jds-labs-c5/

off to work. tonight, maybe. On deck:

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #7,573 of 9,207

Sabre U2 DAC + Bantam Gold amp if you can get your cables on taps ?

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #7,574 of 9,207
Thoughts on Aune T1 --> O2 --> LCD 2? I figure that way I can keep the tube sound while still having adequate power? Or would I just be better off waiting to get the combo and just use the T1 until then. Both will take a bit of time to get but I could definitely get the O2 standalone much sooner than the combo. In the meantime I'll be using the T1 alone which I have heard isn't quite powerful enough for the LCD 2.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #7,575 of 9,207
  Thoughts on Aune T1 --> O2 --> LCD 2? I figure that way I can keep the tube sound while still having adequate power? Or would I just be better off waiting to get the combo and just use the T1 until then. Both will take a bit of time to get but I could definitely get the O2 standalone much sooner than the combo. In the meantime I'll be using the T1 alone which I have heard isn't quite powerful enough for the LCD 2.

RULE #1: Shortest signal path possible.

Get the combo O2/ODAC.  All in one.
http://www.headphonebar.com/jds-labs-o2-odac/

over and out...appointments tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back