Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #5,791 of 9,207
Another Texan...

Also, the 27" iMac makes an excellent TV as well. Love the fact it's accepts an IN, too.

Quote:
I switched to Mac last time and it has been the best decision. Not one spyware or virus in 2 years. I have only had to reboot one time in 2 years. It runs as fast today as it did when I bought it. I look at it all as a huge value, because after two years, I am not itching to upgrade at all. I never kept a PC more than 2 years cause they fell apart. I would just nerd out and build my own though, so overall it might have been slightly less expensive, but I had to perform so much maintenance on it that I hated it. Not to mention I got the 27" iMac and that monitor is world class.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #5,792 of 9,207
Yeah... PC laptops fail on me too quick, and I have to reinstall Windows every so often... Gets slow for no reason... Windows Update oh my god.... I have to find 'drivers' for stuff... Then new Windows OS updates come out too often, and I have to pay $100+ every time and it can only work on one computer... Christ

My Retina IPS screen isn't too shabby. Damn sharp.

OK I think I derailed the thread too much, although there isn't much activity in here anyways.
Quote:
I switched to Mac last time and it has been the best decision. Not one spyware or virus in 2 years. I have only had to reboot one time in 2 years. It runs as fast today as it did when I bought it. I look at it all as a huge value, because after two years, I am not itching to upgrade at all. I never kept a PC more than 2 years cause they fell apart. I would just nerd out and build my own though, so overall it might have been slightly less expensive, but I had to perform so much maintenance on it that I hated it. Not to mention I got the 27" iMac and that monitor is world class.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #5,793 of 9,207
Quote:

:p Macs... 

1. Better customer service - no shipping products in and waiting months for some simple warranty service
2. Better OS that just makes sense - ease of use / fluidness / comfort / multiple desktops
3. Better reliability
4. Better aesthetics - thinner and lighter without compromise in performance
5. Better at handling viruses
6. Better mousepad - gestures
7. Better resale value and ease
8. Better OS upgrades - cheap / one purchase for all macs in house
9. Better organization in general
10. Better connection with other devices - tablet / phone / TV

PCs...

1. Better software compatibility
2. Better gaming performance (?) - trade off with thicker and heavier chassis

+1....

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #5,794 of 9,207
Yea, but using the BS Windows is more vulnerable to viruses argument is stupid.

If anything, Windows is safer (from all its years of being attacked), we're finally seeing OS X viruses, not to mention the tech dumb portion of Mac user's
being social engineered.

Apple only has aesthetics over PC. Everything else is just preference. Each OS is on par with one another, at least IMO.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #5,795 of 9,207
Every day there are new viruses, and vulnerability is high. Windows is so open to attack.

There are too few instances of OSX Viruses to really draw a conclusion that they're on the same level. Also, do note that I never said they were invulnerable; I said they were better and handling them, which includes preventing, and the fact that there are fewer.

Preference is true, but there comes a point where ease of use, or better customer service, is too blatant to call it preference. That's like saying putting on slippers vs. boots is preference, and none are easier to put on than the other.

Then there's a consensus of reliability, resale value, and OS upgrades/pricing that is fact. Sure there may be few cases of macs breaking down, but in the long run, and in a wider perspective, PC laptops are less reliable since each part is sourced by a different company and manufacturer.
Quote:

If anything, Windows is safer (from all its years of being attacked), we're finally seeing OS X viruses, not to mention the tech dumb portion of Mac user's
being social engineered.

Apple only has aesthetics over PC. Everything else is just preference. Each OS is on par with one another, at least IMO.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #5,796 of 9,207
I'm far from curmudgeonly, but I don't think Mac vs. PC is the right discussion for this particular thread.
Where should I go from my NFB if I decide to upgrade in the fall?  I don't want to make the jump for the LCD-3 quite yet.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #5,797 of 9,207
Just wanted to chime in on the OT discussion. Not the Mac vs PC garbage, but this...

You only get viruses if you do stupid things on your computer. I've never run an anti-virus in my life and I've never had an issue either...

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #5,798 of 9,207
Yeah sorry about that.

Well you'd need to tell us your budget, and your sonic preferences. Please don't get the LCD3 if you don't have a proper rig, that you'd like to end-game at, first.
Quote:
I'm far from curmudgeonly, but I don't think Mac vs. PC is the right discussion for this particular thread.
Where should I go from my NFB if I decide to upgrade in the fall?  I don't want to make the jump for the LCD-3 quite yet.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #5,799 of 9,207
x2. I don't run any anti-virus programs either on my PC, and haven't for years. But it still doesn't change the fact that the plain open vulnerability is still there, exacerbated by the fact that the PC world is filled with a gazillion little things that can infect.
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in on the OT discussion. Not the Mac vs PC garbage, but this...

You only get viruses if you do stupid things on your computer. I've never run an anti-virus in my life and I've never had an issue either...

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #5,800 of 9,207
Quote:
Yeah sorry about that.

Well you'd need to tell us your budget, and your sonic preferences. Please don't get the LCD3 if you don't have a proper rig, that you'd like to end-game at, first.

I'd say up to $1000 and I'd like an amp/dac combo that's neutral and revealing.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #5,801 of 9,207
Quote:
Yea I want the bi frost but the problem with that is that its out of my price range. Most of my money is being allocated towards the LCD2's themselves and I only have 200-300 bucks left to pick up a Amp/DAC.

Oh geez, don't feel pressured to buy all this brand name stuff to keep up. They really do sound good out of just a receiver. it just needs current.. it's a pretty remedial problem since it's tone isn't super dependent on amp. Source is not a place to skimp ever despite my dislike for DAC shopping.

I think the AudioGD NFB wonder-boxes will do way more than fine for you. I've had an 11, 12, and 15.1 and they all sound quite quite good. I went from a Bifrost/Lyr setup when the Lyr launched to one of those without complaints. Yes I did lose a little bit of warmth and headroom, but it was a little. It's nice to pay money for American made products, but you gotta look out for you at the end of the day and the AGD stuff is still top rate for me.

To everybody in the "rig-off":

HOLY CRAP.

Thanks to everybody who participated, sorry if I seemed passive aggressive BRAC, it's just sometimes low-post guys with stock avatars rebutting to my opinions sets off my skepticism.. truth be told the Burson Soloist is my current favorite single-ended amp for LCD-2, HD650, and HD800. I think Head-Fi is more fun when we're posting pics than graphs :)

Depends what sites you go to for pron too lawl

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #5,802 of 9,207
Quote:

being social engineered.

+1.

Plus if you happen to be a DIY'er like me.  Well I don't DIY myself but I like having stuff made from scratch.  I like buying my own parts.  You can't do that with a MAC your stuck in that MAC vise grip of you get to have what we tell you you can have.  

Building PCs is fun.  Plus you get way more out of it performance wise for the price you pay.  At that point customer service "hardware wise" is on you.  

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #5,803 of 9,207
Quote:

On another note, preproman, how is the GSX2 with the LCD3?

It's a pretty good match.  More attack than the B22 but yet not as aggressive as the MJ or the BHA-1.  Gives the LCD-3 a larger soundstage.  I thought the B22 had a large SS.  The GS-Xs is equal if not larger.  Very Crisp. Very Clean and very good punch with bass weight and extension.  The treble is extended while staying nice and smooth.

With the arrival of the GS-X mk2 - I still say - if the LCD-3 is your only headphone.  The MJ is hard to beat at that price point.  It's not until you get into multiple headphones where the GS-X and the B22 becomes better.  IMO..

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #5,804 of 9,207
I am thinking I getting a graham slew novo with the LCD 2, it outputs 150mw rms to 32 ohm and 40mw rms to 600 ohm, if te LCD 2 requires 2 watts, would it suck?

EDIT: I realized there's somebody selling the entire Schiit line, with the Valhalla and lye priced equally, which is better and would they bring the LCD 2 to the max?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back