Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 8, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #391 of 9,207
Quote:
I did listen my T1 (not LCD-2) at home again after the meet with P-1u...humm...still, bright. To be technically correct: the presentation only warmer than other SS amp as whole, but it does  emphasize HF, which make me pay more attention them. Some not ideal recorded CD become little unbareble like Sinead O'connor's Troy, I feel little burning in my ear.

As a difference of opinion, I will state that I have also heard the Luxman P-1u (and with the Beyerdynamic T1, among other headphones) and did not think the amp has a "bright" sound either by itself or when paired with the T1. I have a strong bias towards treble in general too (and my reference headphone for treble is the Qualia 010). I wrote a mini-review of the amp that can be found in this forum.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #392 of 9,207
It probably has something to do with LCD-2s.  I'm sure the Luxman engineers far from had orthodynamics in mind when designing the P-1 and P-1u.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #393 of 9,207
From the comments, the LCD-2s are revealing. However, would they be considered a difficult load to drive? Kwkarth, what's your take on this? Looking at the specs for the Luxman P-1u, would you say (at least on paper and perhaps guessing a little from the open box pic) that the P-1u has a good starting point under its hood?

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #394 of 9,207
No orthos and stats don't pose a difficult load per say.  What they both present is one that needs more power than others, massive voltage for stats, ortho inefficiency and low impedance means more current than most other cans.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #395 of 9,207
Thanks, Solude. I don't know about the P-1u, but other Luxman amps I've owned over the years had high-current on tap (at least relative to their rated output- think NAD, and then better overall IMO). A big, smooth sound with plenty of headroom.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #396 of 9,207
Aye the Luxmans are voltage limited to be sure, but pretty much endless current on tap.  Now if only you didn't need both to create power :wink:

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #397 of 9,207
HHHmm. If we assume that P-1u has the current, how can we know about the voltage? (you can also assume that my technical expertise would fit into a small teaspoon...) Is there a clue in the P-1u specs? I have read on this site, that the (high impedance?) Senn HD800 likes high voltage. I have also read that a Japanese reviewer didn't like the HD-800s in combination with the P-1u. Perhaps we could, at a s-t-r-e-t-c-h, partially conclude that the Luxman may not have voltage in the same abundance as current? I have also read that the (lower impedance?) LCD-2s like a high current amp. Perhaps then, the LCD-2s are a good match for a Luxman amp?

If we go by what Audeze states as impedance for the LCD-2s, that's 50 Ohms (91db sensitivity), the Vilolectric SEEMS to have more power. But knowing that output specs can look good on paper and be gutless in practice, I wonder if the P-1u is actually 'less powerful'.

Comparing the limited specs for the P-1u to the Violectric HPA V-200:

Luxman P-1u =
8 Ohms - 2W+2W 
16 Ohms - 1W+1W
32 Ohms - 500mW+500mW
NOTE: I couldn't see any voltage specs for the P-1u

Violectric
Output Voltage in 50 Ohms
      11,6 V
Output Power in 50 Ohms
      2700 mW
Output Voltage in 32 Ohms
      8,0 V
Output Power in 32 Ohms
      2000 mW
NOTE: I couldn't work out if the Violectric's specs were per channel or sum total. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #398 of 9,207
I think there is something else as well. I don't know what to say from the specs of my EF-5, but it's hideous with the LCD-2s sound-wise. Same goes for my Graham Slee Voyager. Those are the only two separate headphone amps I have at the moment. The LCD-2s sound much better straight out of an iPod's headphone out, which doesn't have more current or voltage to deliver compared to either of the separate amps. Go figure.

I'll be making a trip to a local hifi-store to try a bundle of different amps and sources. They sell mostly Linn, Naim and Exposure source wise, but have a huge variety of different headphone amplifiers. Will be interesting.

But yeah, I've come to the conclusion so far that I can't really deduce anything from specs alone. I have to hear it. If nothing can beat the iPod, I'm both a happy and a sad man. Less money to lose, but there are some parts I'd like to "fix" in the sound...

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #399 of 9,207

Quote:
From the comments, the LCD-2s are revealing. However, would they be considered a difficult load to drive? Kwkarth, what's your take on this? Looking at the specs for the Luxman P-1u, would you say (at least on paper and perhaps guessing a little from the open box pic) that the P-1u has a good starting point under its hood?

In many ways, the LCD-2s are a very easy load to drive in that the load is purely resistive.  At any frequency, the load is always 52 ohms, no more, no less.  Amplifiers have dreams at night about meeting such a nice headphone.

On the other hand, the LCD-2, like a number of other popular cans, can sink a lot of current when the program material calls for it and some amplifiers are not up to the task entirely.  Even cans like the HD-600 and AKG-K701/2 benefit from an amp that can deliver current at musical crescendos far beyond what average requirements call for. 

On paper, the Luxman looks like it should be fairly ok for the LCD-2, certainly for average music.  It's rated at half a watt into 32 ohms, and you can bank on at least half that (a quarter of a watt) being available at 52 ohms, but it's certainly not overpowered, remember the LCD-2s can sink 15 watts peak!!!

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #400 of 9,207

Quote:
No orthos and stats don't pose a difficult load per say.  What they both present is one that needs more power than others, massive voltage for stats, ortho inefficiency and low impedance means more current than most other cans.

Stats do pose an extremely reactive and difficult load to an amp.  Driving a stat is exactly like driving a capacitor.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #401 of 9,207

Quote:
 First post, although I have been lurking for about 3 weeks. I have a couple questions. I read a review on the Emmeline, "The Apache" and a review on the Audez'e LCD-2. Would the Apache be a good match for the LCD-2?  Also, would the LCD-2 benefit going balanced? Thanks.

I have the same two questions as QUIGS.  Now that more LCD-2s are out there, I wonder if anyone can provide insight on them.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #402 of 9,207

Quote:
I think there is something else as well. I don't know what to say from the specs of my EF-5, but it's hideous with the LCD-2s sound-wise. Same goes for my Graham Slee Voyager. Those are the only two separate headphone amps I have at the moment. The LCD-2s sound much better straight out of an iPod's headphone out, which doesn't have more current or voltage to deliver compared to either of the separate amps. Go figure.

I'll be making a trip to a local hifi-store to try a bundle of different amps and sources. They sell mostly Linn, Naim and Exposure source wise, but have a huge variety of different headphone amplifiers. Will be interesting.

But yeah, I've come to the conclusion so far that I can't really deduce anything from specs alone. I have to hear it. If nothing can beat the iPod, I'm both a happy and a sad man. Less money to lose, but there are some parts I'd like to "fix" in the sound...

Weird, my LCD-2 sound nice with my EF5 amp.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #403 of 9,207

Luxman has plenty of power drive LCD-2. It give me feeling it has MUCH more power than my WA22. For driving both LCD-2 or T1, the amp did not breath hard at all. No problem there.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #404 of 9,207

Quote:
Weird, my LCD-2 sound nice with my EF5 amp.

Yet you were having some problems with certain piano sounds creating listening fatigue, was that with the EF5? I thought that the LCD-2/EF5 combo sounded good as well, but I could not listen for too long at a time either. To me it was a combination of listening fatigue and the clamping of the pads on my eyeglasses on my temples. I could never tell which was worse but the combination was a little too much for me.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #405 of 9,207

Quote:
 The LCD-2s sound much better straight out of an iPod's headphone out, which doesn't have more current or voltage to deliver compared to either of the separate amps. Go figure.

That is also what I found. ipod is the standard test I use with them. It's easily audible in the midrange whether or not they are good match. If they aren't powered right, the midrange would either be sucked out dry or sound like it's being strained. You can't really rely on specs with the LCD-2; hearing is your best test. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back