Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 25, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #257 of 9,207

Quote:
I've been enjoying my new V200 since I got a couple days ago.  I can confirm that there is no hiss whatsoever from the relatively sensitive ATH-AD2000 (no music playing, volume cranked to max, balanced input from DA11).  Still on the list for the LCD-2, so nothing to report there.

BK

That's pretty impressive.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #258 of 9,207
More LCD-2 amp competition. In this corner...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501934/apex-peak-volcano-review/15

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #259 of 9,207
Just got some new cables from Blue Jeans (ordered one day, got it a day or so later...yay for local!).  Replaced the optical TOSLINK between the Squeezebox Touch and the Assemblage DAC with a digital RCA to BNC and the old RCA cable between the DAC and the Stacker.  The biggest difference seems to have come from the RCA/BNC cable, which seems to add a little brightness to the highs, but without being overly bright or harsh.  Comparatively, when I switched to the optical again, the stage seemed to collapse just a little and the sound was a little less distinct.  With the change in cables, the Stacker continues to play very well to the LCD-2's strengths, with the mids sounding effortless and wide while the treble seems effortless and with good separation without harsh brightness.

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #261 of 9,207
In my opinion, for the most part the only time I'd use toslink over coax is for a PC connection to have a break from the electrical noise.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #262 of 9,207
Yeah, I was just making due with the toslink because the DAC didn't have a digital RCA input and I didn't have any of the other connectors available.  Glad that it seems to sound like I'm not just hearing things though.  ^_^

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #264 of 9,207
Quote:
Yeah, I was just making due with the toslink because the DAC didn't have a digital RCA input and I didn't have any of the other connectors available.  Glad that it seems to sound like I'm not just hearing things though.  ^_^

I could never be called Mr Digital. However, I seem to remember that a high quality GLASS FIBRE optical connection is preferable to coaxial. So, toslink might be good as long as you don't use a cheapo (read: non-glass) cable.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #265 of 9,207
Quote:
Quote:

I could never be called Mr Digital. However, I seem to remember that a high quality GLASS FIBRE optical connection is preferable to coaxial. So, toslink might be good as long as you don't use a cheapo (read: non-glass) cable.

If I recall, regardless of cable, it's usually Toslink --> Coaxial --> BNC/AES  --> I2S. 

That said, and this is a big point, your mileage may vary.  Every implementation is different, and a lot of things matter along the line.  If you can, test all the inputs, and pick the one you feel is best.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #266 of 9,207
Nods, never ever use plastic.  Toslink has the advantage of electrical separation but the disadvantage of going through two transducers.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #267 of 9,207

Quote:
Nods, never ever use plastic.  Toslink has the advantage of electrical separation but the disadvantage of going through two transformers.

The signal does not go through "transformers" it goes through the Toslink converter, an electrical to optical modulator but all in the digital domain, and back again to electrical digital on the other end, again, all in the digital domain.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #268 of 9,207
Does it really make a difference? I have never noticed anything between toslink and coaxial? Feels like we are splitting even more hairs here then regarding after market cables :)

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #269 of 9,207
My bad, the correct word is transducer.  English isn't is first language by the way.  In this case electricity is converted into light and back.  Much in the same way a speaker is a transducer of electricity into sound.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #270 of 9,207
heh...didn't mean to spark a cable debate...just wanted to wave my happy flag about Blue Jeans Cable's products and how I'm enjoying the Stacker II to LCD-2 combo even more now.  Now if only the weather weren't warm enough to make my head sweat while wearing the LCD-2, life would be wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back