Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 7, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #2,536 of 9,207
The portable amp thread didn't help at ALL. :frowning2:

Anyone here have an SR71B and is willing to compare with a 15volt powered stepdance? (will loan) It would mean the world to the portable users out there ^-^ -nudges Skylab and kwkarth- :3

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #2,537 of 9,207

Thanks for that link jeust0999!

Quote:
Good info. Good to know, will jot this down.

There's a really good review of some woo amps with a quick mention of the audeze's here.

I like the way Ross writes and found these paragraphs to be particularly illuminating (as I'm currently comparing a Schiit Lyr to a Meier Stepdance, both into LCD-2s, with my having had no prior experience listening to tube amps):

Quoting the first post in the thread you referenced:  

DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS

The WA2 seems to eschew some micro detail for overall musicality. I have felt that, at times, it has a bit of veil to it as a consequence. I'm not saying the WA2 is a thick wool sweater but if you're a detail freak the WA2 isn't going to be the amp that will pick up the two flies on the wall at the time of the recording kibitzing about luch. The WA2 does seem to gloss over the most minute textures.

Again, the WA6SE falls just shy of solid state performance at extracting details. The HD800 is a magnifying glass for details. The WA6SE allows the HD800 to do it's job with barely any interference. All without being analytical or etched.

I'm a resolution hound - I crave detail, but obviously, I want it to sound natural, musical, not harsh.

Tom Martin's review of the Apex Peak/Volcano contains an interesting section regarding the Peak's resolution of detail and the role of resolving power in recreating reaility:

Quote:

Listening to the Peak/Volcano combo suggests that a really good front end can do a lot to restore the highest levels sonic transparency that sometimes seem lacking in headphone-based systems. In short, this amp has an astonishing level of resolving power that shows up in its superior handling of spatial information, instrumental decays, and other low-level signals. These small signals are a key test of amplifier resolving power. This isn’t just a sporting thing; it’s the kind of difference that really matters for many kinds of music—if you care about realism.

The Peak/Volcano also expresses its superior resolution in the way it separates instruments. Many amps create a harmoniously blended sound on ensemble work (e.g., the sound of many instruments playing in a band at the same time)—a sound that is pleasantly homogenized, yet for that very reason is also inaccurate. The Peak/Volcano helps you realize that this kind of homogenized presentation is actually the result of lesser amplifiers smearing the distinct sounds of individual instruments into a wash. Once the Peak/Volcano’s much higher levels of resolution come into play, however, you instead hear more detailed contributions from each instrument in the ensemble, and in a way that doesn’t sound at all unnatural, but rather sounds more like the real thing.

The fact that the Peak puts out something less than or a little more than one Watt RMS, would make it a poor match for the HE-6 (going by what I've read about its power needs), but not necessarily a poor match for the LCD-2 (going by how great the LCD-2 sounds with my 15-Volt powered Stepdance - which isn't likely to be producing more Watts than the Apex Peak). 

If the Apex Peak has enough power for the LCD-2, its resolution and transparency are very appealing to me.  Are there any other tube amps that garner the kind of praise that Tom Martin has given the Peak in terms of detail and transparency?  Is that what the Lebens offer, for example (along with other desirable traits, no doubt)?  

Any comments will be appreciated.  

Mike

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #2,538 of 9,207

Quote:
Thanks for that link jeust0999!

I like the way Ross writes and found these paragraphs to be particularly illuminating (as I'm currently comparing a Schiit Lyr to a Meier Stepdance, both into LCD-2s, with my having had no prior experience listening to tube amps):

I'm a resolution hound - I crave detail, but obviously, I want it to sound natural, musical, not harsh.

Tom Martin's review of the Apex Peak/Volcano contains an interesting section regarding the Peak's resolution of detail and the role of resolving power in recreating reaility:

The fact that the Peak puts out something less than or a little more than one Watt RMS, would make it a poor match for the HE-6 (going by what I've read about its power needs), but not necessarily a poor match for the LCD-2 (going by how great the LCD-2 sounds with my 15-Volt powered Stepdance - which isn't likely to be producing more Watts than the Apex Peak). 

If the Apex Peak has enough power for the LCD-2, its resolution and transparency are very appealing to me.  Are there any other tube amps that garner the kind of praise that Tom Martin has given the Peak in terms of detail and transparency?  Is that what the Lebens offer, for example (along with other desirable traits, no doubt)?  

Mike

Go to page 157 and 158 in this thread where we have compared the Apex P/V, Apache and Leben.

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #2,539 of 9,207

Quote:

Mike

IMHO, yes, the Leben paired with the LCD-2 provides at least the same level of transparency and detail as the P/V, and I tested both side by side when I had the review loaner of the P/V.  Both are really excellent amps for the LCD-2 - can't go wrong with either one!

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #2,540 of 9,207
Theres a portable LCD-2 amp thread. You may want to check that out.

why? i already have a portable amp and i'm waiting for my Ed. 8 to arrive for a portable setup. the LCD-2 would not leave my home, it's HUGE! if the Lyr is a good amp for $500, i'll just get that and call it a day :)

The post is long. I read 0-178 twice (I forgot to take notes the first time) and found it to be extremely informative.   You will find invaluable knowledge on almost every contending amp for the LCD. I found it immensely helpful and of course I discovered things I didn't know I didn't know .  Remember to take notes. 

would you like to share some cliff notes please?

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #2,541 of 9,207

Quote:
The portable amp thread didn't help at ALL.
frown.gif

Anyone here have an SR71B and is willing to compare with a 15volt powered stepdance? (will loan) It would mean the world to the portable users out there ^-^ -nudges Skylab and kwkarth- :3

Sorry, no experience to share, but wondered if you had also considered the iBasso PB2 Pelican?  I believe it is slightly more power than the SR71B and is also truly balanced.  There have been some comparisons of those two portables where the PB2 is favored.  Again, no experience to share, but I'd be curious as well how these balanced portables worked with LCD-2's.  The PB2 is about half the price of the SR71B..

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #2,542 of 9,207

Re the Anedio, here's what I got back from them after my inquiry:

... Due to heavy customer demand, the D1 DAC is sold out earlier than we anticipated.  Instead of building more D1s, we are focusing our resources on updating the D1 DAC with high resolution USB.   We apologize that we do not yet have a release date, but we are working very hard to bring the D1 update in the market as soon as possible.

So there it is.

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the Anedio website is saying that their D1 is sold out; I don't suppose you know of any vendors who might have it in stock?

As far as I know the only way to purchase one is directly through Anedio. I imagine they're trying to restock asap. They definitely weren't prepared for such runaway success though.
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #2,543 of 9,207

Re the Anedio, here's what I got back from them after my inquiry:

... Due to heavy customer demand, the D1 DAC is sold out earlier than we anticipated.  Instead of building more D1s, we are focusing our resources on updating the D1 DAC with high resolution USB.   We apologize that we do not yet have a release date, but we are working very hard to bring the D1 update in the market as soon as possible.

So there it is.

Yeah I just read project86's post moments ago in the D1 thread with that info. Good to hear.

I for one can't wait for the USB -SP/DIF dongle er whatever so I can utilize my 192khz library to it's fullest.

Cheers!

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #2,544 of 9,207

Quote:

I think the P/V does an excellent job with the LCD-2, and I'll have to be honest even though this is not an HE-6 thread it does a very good job IMO with the HE-6.  When I had the WA-22 I considered that amp to be a little weak for the HE-6, but I don't consider the P/V weak for the HE-6, it isn't the best that I have heard them but it is very good, and to be honest my other amp that I think it about as good as the HE-6 can get is a WA-5, so theres HUGE different in price.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #2,545 of 9,207

Thanks brasewel,

Quote:
Go to page 157 and 158 in this thread where we have compared the Apex P/V, Apache and Leben.

I'm haunted by the comment you made here:

Agreed. I think we all came to the conclusion that you need a tube somewhere along the chain to mellow out the music.

I'm too inexperienced at listening to tube amps to be in disagreement with your statement.   I'm just trying to get a handle on what tubes bring to the component chain.

I'm also perplexed by LiqTenExp's post where he said:

I am a fan of precision but not at the cost of musicality.

I'm gobbling up every word of the reviews that you and LiqTenExp and Wedge wrote after that mini-meet, but as a guy who hasn't spent much time listening to tubes, I feel as if I would prefer precision to musicality, perhaps because I don't really have an appreciation (yet?) for what you mean by a tube mellowing out the music.  To my ears, the only tube amp I've heard with my LCD-2s, the JJ or 6N1P equipped Lyr (Mullard CV2492s have been ordered) lacks the precision and detail that my only solid state amp (a Stepdance) does not lack with the LCD-2s.  

So, I'm left wanting to ask the question, "Do all tube amps offer musicality at the expense of precision, detail, or transparency?"  And if so, would you suppose the majority of folks who've actually spent a lot of time listening to both tube and ss amps, are willing to sacrifice precision for musicality?  Keep in mind, that I don't find my solid state solution to be at all lacking in anything that I would call musicality - so it could be that I've just not heard enough tube amps to wake up to what I'm missing...

Thanks,

Mike

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #2,546 of 9,207

Thanks Skylab,

That's really good to hear, as I know you love the Leben with your LCD-2s, and I know I crave detail, so you've just saved me thousands of dollars!  I might actually buy a P/V some day, but the Leben isn't likely to happen.  
biggrin.gif

Mike

Quote:
IMHO, yes, the Leben paired with the LCD-2 provides at least the same level of transparency and detail as the P/V, and I tested both side by side when I had the review loaner of the P/V.  Both are really excellent amps for the LCD-2 - can't go wrong with either one!

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #2,548 of 9,207
Quote:
I'm gobbling up every word of the reviews that you and LiqTenExp and Wedge wrote after that mini-meet, but as a guy who hasn't spent much time listening to tubes, I feel as if I would prefer precision to musicality, perhaps because I don't really have an appreciation (yet?) for what you mean by a tube mellowing out the music.  To my ears, the only tube amp I've heard with my LCD-2s, the JJ or 6N1P equipped Lyr (Mullard CV2492s have been ordered) lacks the precision and detail that my only solid state amp (a Stepdance) does not lack with the LCD-2s.  

So, I'm left wanting to ask the question, "Do all tube amps offer musicality at the expense of precision, detail, or transparency?"  And if so, would you suppose the majority of folks who've actually spent a lot of time listening to both tube and ss amps, are willing to sacrifice precision for musicality?  Keep in mind, that I don't find my solid state solution to be at all lacking in anything that I would call musicality - so it could be that I've just not heard enough tube amps to wake up to what I'm missing...

I do not feel that tubes sacrifice precision for musicality, I believe that sometimes it is perceived this way because it comes down to whether that precision really punches you in the face, or they are just there and you have to look for them.  LiqTenExp and I have completely different tastes and the musicality of say the Leben or my Woo Amp (formerly I had the WA-22, but now just the WA-5) have never made him all that excited, he likes em but doesn't love them.  My experience with the Lyr tells me the source you have will make as big of a difference as a tube swap.  I really like a more lush and musical sound than LiqTenExp does, and I have some suspicion that music choices have a bit to do with that as well.  I listen to rock, classic rock, jazz, blues, female singers, etc.  LiqTenExp listens to more I believe Prog Rock and Metal (whatever you call it, it is quite a bit harder than I generally listen to).  I don't share your same sentiment in the Lyr not having good resolution or precision, but I also think that what you get out of going with a more expensive amp like the P/V is that it sounds more musical than the Lyr does, atleast to me.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #2,549 of 9,207

Quote:

Thanks brasewel,

I'm haunted by the comment you made here:

I'm too inexperienced at listening to tube amps to be in disagreement with your statement.   I'm just trying to get a handle on what tubes bring to the component chain.

I'm also perplexed by LiqTenExp's post where he said:

Thanks,

Mike

Tube amps do not sacrifice any precision, detail or transparency. They just add a little warmth and softness to the music which makes the sound very engaging and musical. Some people like Wedge prefer tubes all the way which in-turn would mean a lusher sounding signature while LiqTen and myself preferred the best of both worlds (hybrid).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back