Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 4, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #166 of 9,207

Quote:
I disagree that the Edition 8 is not a "serious" headphone.  IMHO, it is indeed.  It is a closed headphone, which means certain drawbacks and limitations.  I think it's the best current-production, dynamic, closed headphone there is, however.

The ED-8 is a seious headphone and in overall performance i prefer it above HD-800  i have listened a lot with ED-8.
But when it comes to LCD-2 .......let me see..........i find only the LCD-2 from my listening table....where did i put those other phones...eh..
i dont remember.

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #167 of 9,207
I guess a lot of cans when compared directly to the LCD2s will come off being less serious.  On the other hand, are the ED8s not aimed at studio monitoring - no fun in work, thats for sure.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #168 of 9,207

Quote:
The ED-8 is a seious headphone and in overall performance i prefer it above HD-800  i have listened a lot with ED-8.
But when it comes to LCD-2 .......let me see..........i find only the LCD-2 from my listening table....where did i put those other phones...eh..
i dont remember.

Quote:
I guess a lot of cans when compared directly to the LCD2s will come off being less serious.  On the other hand, are the ED8s not aimed at studio monitoring - no fun in work, thats for sure.
smile_phones.gif

INDEED.  I have even been taking the LCD-2 from room to room, something I never used to do - they are that good.  For sure.  But that doesn't mean the Edition 8 any less of a great headphone in its own right.

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #169 of 9,207

Quote:
The ED8 isn't even in the same league.  Not worthy to be compared.  ED8 is a fun can, but not a serious one IMHO.

For the sake of the ED8 I wanted to try and clarify what I meant when I made the above statement.
The LCD-2s are accurate, and transparent enough to be relied upon for evaluating and adjusting subtle differences in the reproduction chain.  I can use it to monitor a mixdown, I can use it to evaluate a tube roll, or an interconnect change, or whatever...it can be used as a serious, critical, discernment and evaluation tool.

There are very, very few other headphones that are neutral and resolving enough to be able to be used in that manner.
The ED8 is not one of those headphones.  It is, on the other hand, a very good sounding, fun to listen to, toe tapping headphone.  That doesn't make it "bad" in any way, just suited to a different purpose.  There are occasions where an LCD-2 would not be the best tool for the job.  That does not make them "bad" headphones.

So, I did not mean to imply the ED8 was not a real and valid headphone, but rather, not as suitable for use as a serious piece of evaluation equipment as the LCD-2 is.  The ED8 is a seriously good headphone, but suitable for use in a different way than the LCD-2.

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #170 of 9,207
Agreed, they are just very different. The Edition 8 accomplishes something impressive IMO - it delivers very close to the performance of the better open headphones, while being not just a closed headphone, but one with a lot of isolation. I think the LCD-2 is clearly better of course - and so is the T1' IMO - but the Ed 8 has to deal with the difficulties of being a sealed design, and in this regard I think it excels.

But anyway, this is off-topic - apologies for that.

Back OT, I bought a used WooAudio WA6 to try with the LCD-2 to see if it works well, given it's a transformer coupled design. Should be here next weekend.

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #171 of 9,207
That'll be interesting to hear, Skylab.

To echo SemiAudiophile's impressions, I've been pretty pleased with the D10 and the LCD-2, but I unfortunately don't have a whole lot more beyond my 2Move and some budget Onkyo receivers to compare it to at this time.  I should soon have a Stacker II to compare with, however, and there's a Seattle meet coming up in a couple of weeks that should be a fantastic opportunity to try out other amps too.

- edited because I apparently haven't had enough coffee to type yet

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #172 of 9,207
Looking forward to the WA6 impressions as well.

OT, but regarding "post editing disclosure"; what is the accepted protocol?

I am of the belief that if nobody has quoted your post, you are free to make even "expansive" edits without disclosure unless the edit changes what you said substantially.

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #173 of 9,207

Quote:
That'll be interesting to hear, Skylab.

To echo SemiAudiophile's impressions, I've been pretty pleased with the D10 and the LCD-2, but I unfortunately don't have a whole lot more beyond my 2Move and some budget Onkyo receivers to compare it to at this time.  I should soon have a Stacker II to compare with, however, and there's a Seattle meet coming up in a couple of weeks that should be a fantastic opportunity to try out other amps too.

- edited because I apparently haven't had enough coffee to type yet

I look forward to the impressions of the WA6 and Stacker II. I'm contemplating on the Woo again, but kinda want something different this time around. 

I also find that the MAD Ear+ HD amp isn't bad with the LCD-2 either. In fact it's a pretty seductive combo. Sweet sweet highs, detail, good soundstage. Oh so very seductive. The only thing that lacks is the 3D layering (I also notice this with the Asgard), tone seems a bit off, and certain vocal tracks seems a bit strained. 

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #174 of 9,207
I will be sitting on the fence for a while, and would love to hear more comparisons with the O2's before making up my mind..
It would be nice if some of the more knowledgeable posters in this thread would have a list for amplifiers of the LCD-2. May be the OP in the first post.
Something like a list for:
The absolute best amplifiers, excellent amplifiers, OK amplifiers, subpar performance amplifiers, with a brief explanation for each of them, trying to put together different members impressions as to what makes them sound best.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #175 of 9,207
Quote:
Solude said:
Concerto is $670 shipped anywhere.  Buying it for more is just silly. GCHA is $995, GS-1 is $900, Burson is $700 all plus shipping.  So in the case of the Burson is ~$780 to your door and it got thrashed by the Concerto in the 6 Moon review.

I got my HA-160 for ~$668 shipped internationally (throught their E-bay store), but the pricepoint is miniscule regardless. (I think you commented later saying you meant ~$700 not 780)

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/meier3/meier_3.html <--- Is this the review you are referring to? I may be a newb to all this Hi-Fi stuff but will you point out where the Concerto thrashed the HA-160?

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #177 of 9,207
Think I corrected myself in a later post but on the Burson thing... "The Australian's insistence that op amps suck falls apart of course when confronted by something like Jan Meier's Concerto"  Srajan liked both but kept taking pokes at the Burson throughout the review.  Little pokes in a review over and over add up to a thrashing in my mind.  Its an audio review, its very rare that they come out and say "ugh" :wink:

The other side of this is I want, seek, only settle for amps that are wire with gain.  I've had many that weren't and the Burson review and counter in the Concerto review make it pretty clear that the Burson discrete opamp is coloured.  Up to the listener to decide if its a positive or negative in their rig.  The LCD-2 is "neutral" but clearly drops after 1KHz so an amp that also drops is probably not a good match.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #180 of 9,207
You are such a teaser. Look forward to more impressions. You don´t by any chance have access to an auditor/phonitor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back