Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #151 of 9,207

Quote:
The ED8 isn't even in the same league.  Not worthy to be compared.  ED8 is a fun can, but not a serious one IMHO.

Oh wow, that drastic, huh?

I'm counting the days until they tell me my LCD2 is ready. In a way I almost wish they end up being borderline case for me, just so that I have an excuse to take it on a trip with me so I can compare it to the 007MKII. It's kind of silly, but if the LCD2's impress so much that I'm willing to forget how much I loved the 007MKII, then that means my headphone journey is over and I'll never hear the 007MKII's again. But that could also be a blessing, because it would save me from spending the $4k on that Stax rig.

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #152 of 9,207

Quote:
The ED8 isn't even in the same league.  Not worthy to be compared.  ED8 is a fun can, but not a serious one IMHO.

I like LCD-2 but for fast rock and pop Edition8 wins by margin in PRAT,  clarity, detail retrieval, bass slam and sparkle. For classical, T1 powered by Phonitor is just magic ( with sacds). If I would have to keep just one hp, it would be LCD-2 (with its shortcomings) it is just pleasure with any music or movies.

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #153 of 9,207

Quote:

I like LCD-2 but for fast rock and pop Edition8 wins by margin in PRAT,  clarity, detail retrieval, bass slam and sparkle. For classical, T1 powered by Phonitor is just magic ( with sacds). If I would have to keep just one hp, it would be LCD-2 (with its shortcomings) it is just pleasure with any music or movies.

How are the LCD-2 with the Phonitor?

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #154 of 9,207

Quote:
I really liked my Rudistor, but it would be an anti LCD-2 amp being tubey in the smooth, weighty, bloom style.  Good for a leanish can like the Beyer 880 I had at the time but just too far off neutral to line up with the LCD-2.  And expensive.  Good room heaters though 
devil_face.gif

I have high expectations for my RPX-33 when the LCD-2 arrives. My RudiStor does have a sound that is slightly warm on the tuby sound, but I've never been disappointed with its performance from any headphones. Even with my JH-13 it has a virtually dead silent background and sounds absolutely fantastic.

I just don't see how this pairing couldn't be awesome, even if it adds a little flavor.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #155 of 9,207

Quote:

The LCD-2 is way above ED-8  in everything thats for sure but when source is not ideal for LCD all is possible

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #156 of 9,207

Quote:

I have high expectations for my RPX-33 when the LCD-2 arrives. My RudiStor does have a sound that is slightly warm on the tuby sound, but I've never been disappointed with its performance from any headphones. Even with my JH-13 it has a virtually dead silent background and sounds absolutely fantastic.

I just don't see how this pairing couldn't be awesome, even if it adds a little flavor.

I have heard recently the RPX-33 it is possibly a good match for the LCD .I dont think that RPX-33 has that kind of flavor wich ruins the sound but if something appears wrong you should look at your other sources.As far as i understood  the sound of the rudistor is little bit on the warm side but not in that way how tubes do it so when you have clean source everything should be ok.

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #159 of 9,207

Quote:

The LCD-2 is way above ED-8  in everything thats for sure but when source is not ideal for LCD all is possible

"Way above" is a strong statement. Edition8 has a place among the top closed headphones. Showcase of genius engineering and design in small package. I have lot of rock and pop SACD and yes, they sound better.

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #160 of 9,207

Quote:
"Way above" is a strong statement. Edition8 has a place among the top closed headphones. Showcase of genius engineering and design in small package. I have lot of rock and pop SACD and yes, they sound better.

Just because they're in a different category, does not make them "bad" or lesser headphones, they are simply for a different purpose and use.

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #161 of 9,207

Quote:
Don't have other amps to compare, Phonitor adds more dynamics and detail compare to my Av receiver and blu-ray and with LCD-2 Phonitor (build for 600 OHM HP) has totaly silent backround unlike Edition8 and K-701.

/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seems like you have some problem with noise from your source or Phonitor is not as quiet as the Auditor? All my headphones are dead silent on my Auditor. I mostly have low impedance ones. Even if I go through my Behringer DEQ2496 it´s still totally silent.

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #162 of 9,207
I disagree that the Edition 8 is not a "serious" headphone.  IMHO, it is indeed.  It is a closed headphone, which means certain drawbacks and limitations.  I think it's the best current-production, dynamic, closed headphone there is, however.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #164 of 9,207

Quote:

Mine was the 5.1 tube/ss hybrid not the pure ss one.

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #165 of 9,207
Quote:

I don't have the experience with desktop amps other than the RPX-33 and only have used it with 4 headphones, 2 IEMs and 2 full sized, so I hope you are right!  I am very happy with the T1/RPX-33 pairing and hope the LCD-2 is a good match.  But I too don't see how this pairing could be bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back