Amp and DAC for HE-400s
Jul 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #19 of 61
Project86 seems to like his with the Yulong D100 MKII.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608098/review-yulong-d100-mkii-dac-an-update-to-an-already-excellent-device/15#post_8350808

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #20 of 61
Quote:
Desperate bump...  I want to have my mind made up for the weekend so I can order what I need.

I'm loving my Audio-GD NFB-12 (not the NFB-12.1).  As a matter of fact, I have it for sale because I'm buying another Audio-GD amp / DAC.  The NFB-12 has the latest DAC chips from Wolfson and works really well with my HE-400s.  I don't play my music screaming loud, but I don't have to move the dial past the 9 O'clock position, when the gain is set to the high position.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #21 of 61
Quote:

I'm loving my Audio-GD NFB-12 (not the NFB-12.1).  As a matter of fact, I have it for sale because I'm buying another Audio-GD amp / DAC.  The NFB-12 has the latest DAC chips from Wolfson and works really well with my HE-400s.  I don't play my music screaming loud, but I don't have to move the dial past the 9 O'clock position, when the gain is set to the high position.

What do you think of the e17 vs. Audioengine d1 for the he400? Does the NFB-12 you are selling fall in the same price range? 

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Quote:

What do you think of the e17 vs. Audioengine d1 for the he400? Does the NFB-12 you are selling fall in the same price range? 

I wonder how either of these setups compare to the Bifrost + MKIII.  It's hard finding people that have had these setups to compare them.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #26 of 61
Quote:
What do you think of the O2+ODAC option? Would that be sufficient in powering the he400?

Sufficient at power, yes.  However, the Audio-GD NFB-12 has USB, Optical and digital Coax inputs for the DAC.  The ODAC only has a USB input.  This can be either good or bad, depending on the level that you want in regards to flexibility.   The NFB-12 that I'm selling is only a bit more ($175.00) than just the straight O2 amplifier.

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #27 of 61
I´m confused with this too. Is stupid thinking Icon HDP (using DAC and Amp) for HE-400 ?? Will lower impedance headphones work fine with HDP ??

Not speaking for all headphones, but the Hifiman planars don't change almost any even with high impedance outputs, so I'd say yes. Considering the HDP is slightly bright, I'd say it'd have some synergy with the slightly dark HE400.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #28 of 61
Quote:
Not speaking for all headphones, but the Hifiman planars don't change almost any even with high impedance outputs, so I'd say yes. Considering the HDP is slightly bright, I'd say it'd have some synergy with the slightly dark HE400.

Good to know. What about considering Audio-GD NFB-5 > HE400 ? can you describe that combo ??

thanks a lot!

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #29 of 61
Hey JFindon, I am in the same boat as you. I recently purchased the HE-400's as well as the HE-300's and though I have a couple solid portable amps to run with my iPod, to get the most out of my music I've been looking for a solid desktop Amp/ DAC that can be packed up with my laptop .... mobile but not portable.

I've narrowed my search down to a couple different options (I am roughly in the same price point as you also)... and I think I've shopped some very good value to money options.

JDS Labs O2amp with integrated DAC - $285.00 - Huge upside to this amp/dac combo.... audiophiles are going nuts over this one.
Channel Islands Audio - VHP-2 - $300.00 - American Made Audiophile Class headphone amp.... considered high end audio but for affordable price.
Lake People G103 or 109S - $240.00 - Makes of the Violectric amps that all the planar owners love.... Same DNA as the Violectrics though not as pretty but for a more affordable price.

And the bottom two I will pair with an HRT Music Streamer DAC.... which is $150.00 and very highly regarded as a standalone DAC.

That's my short list for what it's worth.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #30 of 61
@The Fed: Is there room on the boat, because I'm having the same dilemma! 
confused_face.gif

I am considering the
Fiio e17 = $139
NFB-15 = $235
NFB-5.2 = $368

I am going to have to throw your choices on my list too. The one that catches my eye is the the JDS Labs O2amp with integrated DAC = $285.00 

Now, I am looking for a cost-effective solution that will do justice to my HE-400, hence the DAC/Amp combo choices. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate and skip out on quality. On the contrary, I want to  justify a purchase that would benefit my cans in proportion to the money I'm shelling out. If the difference in quality is considerable, I would gladly throw down $600+ in order to experience that sound. Most importantly, I'm looking for something that However, I am aware of diminishing returns and want to find that point where it is most cost-effective for my cans. Side note: I am planning to add a pair of denon d5000 to my arsenal and possibly a pair of grados. 

With that in mind, would you all suggest staying put with a basic DAC/Amp or settling with a higher-tier combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back