American Craftsmanship?
Dec 9, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #61 of 82
Long thread for a quick fix...but it should not have been required in the first place.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #63 of 82
You know what they say in the computer industry when it comes to enclosures...

GI/GO: Garbage in, Grado out.

wink.gif
(I'm just kidding)

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #64 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my first Grado and my last one as well. While the SR60s are not as expensive as the others in the lineup, I expected much better quality from these.

8fe766o.jpg

Unfortunate, but my ebay purchased RS-1s look like this. They have been around with a 1573 serial number but I've had them for three days
mad.gif
. So epoxy or gorilla glue does the job? Only want to try this one time so as not to ruin any future attempt for repair.

Bad design.
confused.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #65 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunate, but my ebay purchased RS-1s look like this. They have been around with a 1573 serial number but I've had them for three days
mad.gif
. So epoxy or gorilla glue does the job? Only want to try this one time so as not to ruin any future attempt for repair.

Bad design.
confused.gif

Yes, superglue will do the trick. Put a drop of superglue onto the end of the metal headband and insert it all the way into the plastic block.

Dec 24, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #66 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So we pay like 600 bucks or so for some RS-1's and they're like.....cheap leather headband, squarish metal rods and earcups that swivel and swivel till the cheap looking cables get all tangled up..... And then we have the letters R and L painted cheaply on some plastics at the ends. Cheese cloth that covers the drivers....And some wooden housing....Next to zero soundstage....I don't know why but its not supposed to sound that way....And finally, the beautiful carton box that it came in....600 quids for a DIY project I guess? Nevermind if it sounds well but I don't think $600 went all in to fund that research in producing a sound like that right? And boy, these cans are like ear tuned? Or something like that? Hmmmm.....I'll rather keep my $600 I guess....Guess it was my mistake to get the GS-1000's and HF-1's.....

And if, like me, you're in Canada you get all this for 100% full list price.......
:notafan:

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #67 of 82
The driver of my HF-1 came out of the plastic housing which was annoying but I emailed Grado, they got back to me the same day and said if I drove them over to the factory they would repair them free of cost. Whatever you say about their build quality, I don't think it is terrible, they have great customer service.

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #68 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The driver of my HF-1 came out of the plastic housing which was annoying but I emailed Grado, they got back to me the same day and said if I drove them over to the factory they would repair them free of cost. Whatever you say about their build quality, I don't think it is terrible, they have great customer service.

I guess their customer service is hit 'n' miss. They haven't returned my call yet. But I'm holding my breath.

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #69 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So epoxy or gorilla glue does the job? Only want to try this one time so as not to ruin any future attempt for repair.

I used epoxy on my RS-1 and it has held up fine.

Be careful to clean the tip and the little hole before you glue it. I rubbed the post with some 0000 steel wool and used a slip of 400 sandpaper on a toothpick in the hole. That removes any debris and roughens the surface to help the epoxy hold better.

Then I cleaned both with a little mineral spirits and denatured alcohol. You could use Windex or another solvent, as well. I let dry for a few hours then put a little epoxy in the hole and on the tip. I stuck them back together, cleaned off the excess and let dry for 24 hours.

So far, so good. Too bad this happens. I really love Grados (their cartridges, too) and wish they'd make a few changes to keep this from happening. It's a weak design, but doesn't have to be. There are simple ways to redesign this flaw out. Personally, I think they should just bite the bullet and do it. Warranty claims do have a cost to them and the design hurts their reputation. They should change it.

You know, it would not be that difficult to make a modification kit to retrofit all Grados. Hmmm... wonder if something could be cooked up and turned into an aftermarket mod.

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #70 of 82
Thanks UE and kontai69.

Man they are good hps. I didn't want to buy them without trying them but there were no dealers that carry the RS/GS line. Great rock phones.

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #72 of 82
If anyone is interested, a block replacement can only be done at Grado and currently it cost $100.

Come on superglue.

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #73 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used epoxy on my RS-1 and it has held up fine.

Be careful to clean the tip and the little hole before you glue it. I rubbed the post with some 0000 steel wool and used a slip of 400 sandpaper on a toothpick in the hole. That removes any debris and roughens the surface to help the epoxy hold better.

Then I cleaned both with a little mineral spirits and denatured alcohol. You could use Windex or another solvent, as well. I let dry for a few hours then put a little epoxy in the hole and on the tip. I stuck them back together, cleaned off the excess and let dry for 24 hours.

So far, so good. Too bad this happens.

In the OP, replace the RS-1 with the GS1000 and you have exactly what happened to me after a few weeks of use. I paid for the shipping back to the factory to have it repaired. The turn around was about three weeks. I didn't know about the glue fix back then. They're my favorite cans so the wait was painful. I was seriously thinking of buying another pair as backup but just couldn't justify the expense. Has anyone tried the glue fix on the 1000?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really love Grados (their cartridges, too) and wish they'd make a few changes to keep this from happening. It's a weak design, but doesn't have to be. There are simple ways to redesign this flaw out. Personally, I think they should just bite the bullet and do it. Warranty claims do have a cost to them and the design hurts their reputation. They should change it.

You know, it would not be that difficult to make a modification kit to retrofit all Grados. Hmmm... wonder if something could be cooked up and turned into an aftermarket mod.

I'd like to see something along these lines, too. A kind of Grado "recall" in which the customer has the option to either send the cans back for a mod that addresses the problem or to request a self-mod kit that includes directions and all the material to DIY.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #74 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the glue fix on the 1000?

The RS-1 glue fix would also apply to the GS-1000 (and even PS-1) since they all use the exact same "square rod into cup holder ring" design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back