American Craftsmanship?
Dec 7, 2007 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Picture055.jpg

This REALLY PISSES ME OFF!

I bought these new in the springtime and they have had limited use; probably no more than about 20 or 30 hours after the initial burn-in. I made the adjustments when I first got them, haven't messed with them much, and when I went to adjust them tonight, the right earpiece completely came off the steel rod.

I had the SR60's way back when and the same thing happened to them. Now I'm a bit leery about keeping these, along with the SR225's and especially the GS1000's which I also own.

What's the general consensus of Grado craftsmanship and durability? Was this a fluke or is it more commonplace?

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 82
i have 3 grados with me right now and theyre working fine for me. even vintage RS-1 doesnt have this problem.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are those rods square?

They're square until you get to the last quarter inch or so, where they then become round.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are those rods square?

Yes they are. And in reply to the TS's case, yeah, I've gone through some SR60's SR80's HF-1's, GS-1000's, and honestly speaking, Grado workmanship is erm.......
rolleyes.gif
You know.....hmmmm.....

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 82
So we pay like 600 bucks or so for some RS-1's and they're like.....cheap leather headband, squarish metal rods and earcups that swivel and swivel till the cheap looking cables get all tangled up..... And then we have the letters R and L painted cheaply on some plastics at the ends. Cheese cloth that covers the drivers....And some wooden housing....Next to zero soundstage....I don't know why but its not supposed to sound that way....And finally, the beautiful carton box that it came in....600 quids for a DIY project I guess? Nevermind if it sounds well but I don't think $600 went all in to fund that research in producing a sound like that right? And boy, these cans are like ear tuned? Or something like that? Hmmmm.....I'll rather keep my $600 I guess....Guess it was my mistake to get the GS-1000's and HF-1's.....

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 82
This happened with my MS-1's nothing a little super glue won't fix, but because of these build quality reasons with Grado headphones I won't be going up any higher than the MS-2's.

AFAIK this problem is quite common with Grados.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too funny.

Was that a reply to my question? If so, sucks for OP
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 82
Grado should include a tube of superglue with every headphone.
tongue.gif

Seriously, though, just glue that puppy back in to place. It'll be better than new.

Dec 7, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #13 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was that a reply to my question? If so, sucks for OP
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Nah... it was more of a general response to the idea of Grado craftsmanship.

Dec 7, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 82
I have owned a HF-1, HHF-1, SR-225, SR-325, RS-2, 2x RS-1, iGrado, and GS-1000 and never had any trouble with them falling apart on me. IMHO, I would say that your issue is not the norm. Are they still under warranty?

Happy Listening!

Dec 7, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 82
As have been said, just glue it together again. This happened to my MS2i also, but since I glued it it has not separated again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back