ALO The Continental
Sep 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #241 of 456
 Quote:
Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but didn't ALO commission the amp from a Chinese amp maker?  I don't think ALO itself did the engineering work here.  So if anything, this would be a case of one Chinese designer "copying" another, although who knows if that is even the case.

It wouldn't be unheard of. In this case, it would be one Chinese "designer" copying the design of another Chinese designer. It could also be possible that the original inventor was duped by a company willing to market and/or manufacturer it for him - but instead the company sold off the design to ALO. A third possibility could be that is a bogus claim. It's pretty much still the "wild west" there in terms of patent law, intellectual property, and copyrights.

Quote:
各位好,
ALO Continental is a copy.
希望懂中文的朋友帮忙翻译一下。
ALO这台机子完全是翻版。这机子是我朋友设计的。
我朋友50多岁了。不懂电脑,平时也不上网之类。
得知自己的作品被抄袭后他非常生气。这机子他设计了2年,推出后没卖出几台,结果却便宜了别人。他希望我帮他来这里给他讨个公道,也请大家帮 他评个理。
各位请看下面这个链接:
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1079105&page=1&fpage=2
图片上涂了黑色胶水的那台是我朋友的手板机。跟ALO那台几乎是一样的。懂线路设计的朋友应该一看就知道2台机子是一样的东西。
这机子我们早就有杂志评测过了。足以证明我们早在ALO之前完成了这台机子。
ALO请你们出来给我们道歉。希望你们尊重别人的劳动成果,别给美国人丢脸。

Instead of taking this issue here, perhaps you are better off taking it to your government authorities, courts, or regulatory agencies. It's difficult to push consumers to do the right thing, and in this case, we as consumers don't even have knowledge of who is truly right or wrong. It's best to let honest courts decide this issue.

If your claim is indeed true, then I feel sorry for you. Two wrongs don't make a right, but it goes both ways. For example, the Matrix M-Stage so much discussed on the boards here, especially the version 1, is a clone of the Lehmann BCL.

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #242 of 456

Quote:
Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but didn't ALO commission the amp from a Chinese amp maker?  I don't think ALO itself did the engineering work here.  So if anything, this would be a case of one Chinese designer "copying" another, although who knows if that is even the case.

There was a little bit written about this amp and how it was developed in this review.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/32ohm1/1.html

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #243 of 456
If those claims are true, then that's despicable behavior on the part of the OEM. I guess this is a risk when you want to manufacture cheaply.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #244 of 456
interesting.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #245 of 456

Quote:
There was a little bit written about this amp and how it was developed in this review.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/32ohm1/1.html

Maybe that is what I was thinking of, which is even worse in some ways, since Ken should have had every right to trust the OEM (again, assuming it's true).

But it makes the very idea that Ken/ALO were the ones to do the "copying" even more ludicrous.  Seems like the truth might be the exact opposite...

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #247 of 456
Quote:
Maybe that is what I was thinking of, which is even worse in some ways, since Ken should have had every right to trust the OEM (again, assuming it's true).

But it makes the very idea that Ken/ALO were the ones to do the "copying" even more ludicrous.  Seems like the truth might be the exact opposite...

I'm not saying anything either way but the translate function in google tries to do a literal translation, and fact of the matter is the whole read could be taken out of context.  Either way if Ken contracted someone to design and manufacture his amp and they copied it from someone else, I wouldn't hold Ken responsible, but I think Ken should go back to his OEM and have some discussions.

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #248 of 456
Ken is a stand up guy. If he feels a competitors item sounds better- he would tell you and lose the sale (he did it right in front of me at RMAF!). He is in this FIRST for sharing the joy of music not the money. Sure he deserves to make a profit- and I am sure he does make a profit- but he is also not afraid to turn away business to stay honest. SERIOUSLY if I had a sister and Ken wanted to marry her- he'd have my approval  (I'd be looking forward to family discounts!).

I regularly host Headphone Meets at my Beachfront Los Angeles place- everyone that has come seems to like the way ALO does business.

Ken IMHO would never steal some ones intellectual property. If there are similarities in this age of shared internet info..I'd chalk it up to "Convergent Evolution".  If Ken discovered a similar design to his existed- he'd likely wait to improve on the design and make it different enough to make a significant difference before releasing it.  Ken is not about making the same old products as others- he is into making them better.

My dealings with him and Vinnie are all positive, and I am likely (read definitely) a PITA customer with too many questions.

If only our banking system had guys running it with Ken's integrity we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today.

I am dying to hear this amp. Anyone in the Los Angeles area have one I could hear???- I'll buy lunch.

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #249 of 456
Sep 11, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #250 of 456
AGREED! Ken is my guru for good reason. He is completely a stand up guy and has always steered me towards what he felt was the product based on what I was describing.
I love doing business with him. It is always a pleasure.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #251 of 456

Quote:
AGREED! Ken is my guru for good reason. He is completely a stand up guy and has always steered me towards what he felt was the product based on what I was describing.
I love doing business with him. It is always a pleasure.

Get a room, guys.  
wink.gif

(not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that !)

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #252 of 456
For a while now I have been promising myself an L3 to replace my Stepdance but now I see this amp and must admit it is turning my head, I have a soft spot for tubes!
I would love to hear from folks who have owned the Stepdance and now own the continental what their thoughts are comparing the two?

Also, this would have to stack with my CLAS/ classic how do you get on with that in terms of keeping the ventilation holes on the continental l clear?

I just phoned ALO and they told me it should be back in stock by the end of the month. I have had great success with ALO so it would be nice to purchase something else from them!

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #253 of 456
For a while now I have been promising myself an L3 to replace my Stepdance but now I see this amp and must admit it is turning my head, I have a soft spot for tubes!
I would love to hear from folks who have owned the Stepdance and now own the continental what their thoughts are comparing the two?

Also, this would have to stack with my CLAS/ classic how do you get on with that in terms of keeping the ventilation holes on the continental l clear?

I just phoned ALO and they told me it should be back in stock by the end of the month. I have had great success with ALO so it would be nice to purchase something else from them!

I have the Continental and the 2Stepdance. I love both these amps - they each are a perfect fit for my setup(s). I use the the continental to drive a pair of k702 phones through the CLAS and an iPod. I tried my IEMs through the continental, but no go - the Continental has too much gain for the smaller phones. the 702s are a pig to drive, but the Continental drives them with ease! There is a bit of heat generated in the Continental, but it's not been an issue for me so far although I'd be concerned about putting the rig in a tight case that blocks the vent holes. I've just been using the rubberband method to group them together leaving the holes exposed. Also, the Continental's form factor is a good match for the CLAS, but I sometimes prefer the lighter portability the Stepdance offers.

The sound on the Contenantal is very impressive as is the Stepdance through my IEMs. The Continental is pretty thick and bulky, but it packs quite a punch! It's really hard to compare the two as they are very different. If your looking for extreme portability, then I don't think the Continental can beat the Stepdance. If your looking for power to drive finicky cans, then the Continental may be a better choice!

PB

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #254 of 456
Thanks PB, I don't care about the size so much, I use the external battery on the stepdance so that bulks things up anyway. I also think the Continental might have the advantage with my ER4S's as they are hard to drive, they sing though with the stepdance 15v

What would you say are the differences in sound between the two amps?

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #255 of 456
Thanks PB, I don't care about the size so much, I use the external battery on the stepdance so that bulks things up anyway. I also think the Continental might have the advantage with my ER4S's as they are hard to drive, they sing though with the stepdance 15v

What would you say are the differences in sound between the two amps?

It's hard to judge the sound differences between the two amps since using the same phones isn't a fair assessment for either amp. The best way I can describe the Continental is to say that my K702 cans absolutely came alive when I plugged them compared to the 2Stepdance. The low frequencies had a nice punch that had been lacking before and the mids were quite lively - I knew right away that I was going to be happy. I also had the same reaction with my 2Stepdance when I plugged in my IEMs!

When I bought the amp, there wasn't much feedback avaiable since it was so new. Also, I really liked my CLAS and thought it might pair well with the Continental (and the tube design looked interesting). I took a chance and bought it thinking I could return it if I wasnt happy. The Continental was a keeper!

Hope that helps.

PB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back