ALO The Continental
Sep 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #256 of 456

Quote:
This is true.  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

At least I don't think I am low maintenance ...lol...anyone in SoCal have one of these Continentals? I'm stocking up on portables that I like and I don't want to buy more of what I like if the Continental is better.

It's getting to be about that time to do another HEADPHONE MEET....at my house in Venice... though there was a LAOCS meet recently...

I want to have a strong portable contingent there this time.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #257 of 456

Quote:
At least I don't think I am low maintenance ...lol...anyone in SoCal have one of these Continentals? I'm stocking up on portables that I like and I don't want to buy more of what I like if the Continental is better.

It's getting to be about that time to do another HEADPHONE MEET....at my house in Venice... though there was a LAOCS meet recently...

I want to have a strong portable contingent there this time.

Not sure, the Conti as a device seems to be in a state of limbo now.  You could get on the Portatube loaner list as it's in San Diego atm, but obviously it's not a Conti.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #258 of 456

Quote:
Not sure, the Conti as a device seems to be in a state of limbo now.  You could get on the Portatube loaner list as it's in San Diego atm, but obviously it's not a Conti.

Anaxilus - did you get a chance to hear both.  Interested in your thoughts if you did.  I actually bought the PortaTube - extremely satisfied with it.

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #261 of 456
want... are they gone for good? =(

No, chatted with them this week and they are expecting a new shipment by the end of the month.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #262 of 456
Skylab, how does the Continental compare with our "Level 1" solid state portable amps, namely the Triad Audio L3, the Meier Stepdance and the Ray Samuels SR71B? Does the Continental handle the LCD-2 well?

By the way, is there any uber vintage NOS tube on the market to replace the tube which comes with the Continental? Doesn't matter if the tube is more expensive than the amp.

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #263 of 456

Quote:
Skylab, how does the Continental compare with our "Level 1" solid state portable amps, namely the Triad Audio L3, the Meier Stepdance and the Ray Samuels SR71B? Does the Continental handle the LCD-2 well?

By the way, is there any uber vintage NOS tube on the market to replace the tube which comes with the Continental? Doesn't matter if the tube is more expensive than the amp.

I've never heard this amp so I have no idea.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #266 of 456
Really looking forward to a comparison of the Continental and SR71B (fully balanced mode), especially for the LCD2. Has anyone got both of them? Many thanks.

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #268 of 456
Sep 25, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #269 of 456
I tried one in store, it was nice for sure - but not blow my mind great.
It is also rather expensive. And I am not convinced by its supposed brilliance.
For that kinda money maybe I would just shoot straight for the Fostex hp_p1 (having an iPod touch).

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #270 of 456
I received mine recently and have had some time to listen to it with a variety of genres. To my ear there is a noticeable improvement over the Rx Mk2. It is pretty unforgiving of bad recordings because it is so detailed. You know you have something good when you start smiling as you listen to a favourite track, hearing something new for the first time.

Design-wise, I'm not happy about the volume knob. It is completely smooth, making it difficult to grasp and turn without holding my rig in two hands (ipod/continental in left hand, turning knob with right hand). I'm wondering what I could add around the edge to make it easier to grip - perhaps trimmed-down duct tape?

In addition to the knob, the power plug prong doesn't fully insert into the Continental. At first, I thought it was stuck and pushed harder - this could lead to damage.

Heat-wise, It does get quite warm to the touch. Nothing that would burn, but I'd worry about overheating if left somewhere with poor ventilation, like a bag.

Power-wise, it obviously oozes gobs of power. I don't need to push it past 7.30 on the dial (starting at 6). I can't wait to test it out with some of the heavy hitter headphones.

Overall I'm very happy with the Continental, and will likely keep it for work listening, and the Mk2 for portable/pocketable listening. :)

Is it worth getting if you have the Rx Mk2? I'd have to say no unless a) you have the money, b) you have the need, and c) you don't rely on portability. Both are excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back